#1 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

post_6684_1226053509.png
#49 Challenge: Favourite Banter
Deadline: Monday, 26th January
Post your piece in this topic!

NPC interaction is one of the favorite quirks in BG serials or else there wouldn't be so many mods around. Therefore, pick a banter, any banter, from the game and illustrate it. Show us the banters that make you smile and those that make you want to punch someone's teeth out :)

You remember the drill I hope. You have two weeks time, and everything artistic goes as long as it's made by yourself.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#2 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

Yeah... Very nice... Very nice, indeed. *devilish laugher* Tremble, and I will illustrate an EPIC banter from my collection of BG!

Spoiler

#3 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

NPC interaction is one of the favorite quirks in BG serials or else there wouldn't be so many mods around. Therefore, pick a banter, any banter, from the game and illustrate it. Show us the banters that make you smile and those that make you want to punch someone's teeth out

Just 'official' banters or even banters from mods?

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#4 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Oh damn... What banter do can I remember?

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#5 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

NPC interaction is one of the favorite quirks in BG serials or else there wouldn't be so many mods around. Therefore, pick a banter, any banter, from the game and illustrate it. Show us the banters that make you smile and those that make you want to punch someone's teeth out

Official only since it's them that had inspired the modding community. Do them some justice ;)

Edited by Orthodoxia, 12 January 2009 - 09:24 AM.

Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#6 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Official only since it's them that had inspired the modding community. Do them some justice ;)

What if you don't know if it is or not? I downloaded a banter pack before I was finished with the game so I don't know which banters are part of that and which are from the original game. Well to an extent. I can think of one that I know is original that I'd really like to illustrate.

Edited by Sammi Somara, 12 January 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

What about yes to banters added by iep/banterpack and no to mod NPC banters? I have to admit that sometimes I have difficulty distinguishing between the three, as well.

I look forward to seeing some entries to this one :D

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Getting ready to duck, here, because I'm sure I'm going to catch at least three hells for this opinion, but fair is fair. If you're excluding mod banters that are identifiable because they contain a mod NPC, you should exclude mod banters added by IEP or banter pack. Where would you draw the line? BG1 NPC introduces banters, too.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#9 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

And I'd say BG1NPC would be great to draw examples from, since like IEP Banters/Banter Packs its only intention is to expand the original characters. But if that's too wide a scope, then we can go with just canon banters, I'm sure. :)

You can find a complete listing of all canon banters in the game here. :cheers:

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Don't mean to be Grumpy Gus, but fan-added content is fan-added content.

Personally, though, I'd rather see the challenge open for *any* banter, whether mod or canon. Though that is an idea for a future challenge, if Orthodoxia wants to stick to canon this go-round.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#11 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

While it would be nice to have all of it, mods and fan-made banters and what not, it is the original concept that had inspired the people the mod the game in the first place. Yes, I realize that BG1 comes short in the banter department but people still enjoyed it greatly despite that.

NPC/NPC banters, NPC/PC banters, NPC/random-person-on-the-road-that-wants-to-kill-you banters... there is enough to choose from.
Posted Image

#12 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

I quite agree with berelinde about "fan-added contnt is fan-added content". On the other hand... when you play Czech version with English banters-adding mods, it's quite easy to say what's original and what is not :shifty: However, if I'll get the time, I'm planning to do at least one entry on my own... however, guess that my drawing skills haven't improved much since I joined FanArt challenge, so people, beware of Neferit drawing! :bi:

Edited by Neferit, 13 January 2009 - 12:24 AM.

Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

Great idea, and I'm personally voting for "Favourite Mod Banter" challenge in a couple of weeks. :)

P.S. You remember this banter between Keto and Kelsey, where he examins her hairpin and says it was actually bought in his store? Loved it. As for Minsc quoting Russian Rashemi myths to Edwin in BG1 NPC - PLAY IT! (Edwin IS a treasure, hands down).

#14 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:24 AM

You can find a complete listing of all canon banters in the game here. :cheers:

You saved me, K'!

#15 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:50 AM

At first I was going point out that the Anomen/Mazzy pic I drew last challenge is a banter (except for setting Anomen on fire, which is what I WANTED to do, does that count?) but after a whole lot of soul-searching I REMEMBERED THE PERFECT BANTER EVER EVER EVER and now I just have to draw it :D
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?
- Sand, Neverwinter Nights 2

?I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.?
- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

I can does write fanfiction?

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#16 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:44 AM

when you play Czech version with English banters-adding mods, it's quite easy to say what's original and what is not

I've got your same luck (though I play Italian version) ;-)

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:53 AM

Mine is the one that went like this:
Posted Image

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#18 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Great <_< Now if you'd only draw it, color it and text edit it by HAND on paper then it actually might count for something. Try harder next time Imp.
Posted Image

#19 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

It's been a while since I played BG1 and I seemed to have forgotten about the fact that an enormous dragon was present for that encounter... :huh:
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#20 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

It's been a while since I played BG1 and I seemed to have forgotten about the fact that an enormous dragon was present for that encounter... :huh:

Didn't you know? It's Sarrie's version of a toy poodle. His name is Fifi!

- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)