A little CoC help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryuken

ryuken
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hi there,

I'm struggling at the moment and in need of some assistance. The party is only me (Turin a FMT just under 6m exp) and Jaheira at ~4m exp. I realise I should have a larger party but Aerie has been vamped and if I can't otherwise resolve it I don't mind recruiting some others. I want to resolve the encounter violently (:P).

The main problem is my buffs getting stripped and I can't tell why. Jaheira buffs with Hardiness and polymorphs into a rat so she is completely safe, Grok attacks her to no avail. The FMT on the other hand keeps getting munched.

I buff with Chain Contingency: PfMW, True Sight, PfNM, Contingency: Stoneskin, and cast SI:Abjuration at the start (with Vecna and AoP so it comes out instantly). The fight goes something like this:

Venduris: Weapon inneffective
Selina: uses a scroll
Venduris: spell inneffective
Zaeron: uses a wand
Turin: Specific Protection Dispelled
Turin: Spell Protections Removed
Turin: Combat Protections Dispelled
Bodak did 9 damage to Turin
Turin: Dispel Effects (though I'm pretty sure everything is gone already).
Then I'm defenseless and dead.

Now as far as I know I should be immune to what they throw at me. The Wand of Spellstriking and Dispel Magic shouldn't work since I have SI:A, Arrows of Dispelling shouldn't work because of PfNM, yet something still gets rid of both my spell and combat protections really quickly. The only unknown I can see is Selina's scroll which could be Ruby Ray though I'm 90% sure its PW:Stun. The only other thing I can think of is that Breach from a Wand of Spell Striking counts as being school-less or something. If I can figure it out I'll just opt for damage resistance instead.

Thanks.

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hi there,

I'm struggling at the moment and in need of some assistance. The party is only me (Turin a FMT just under 6m exp) and Jaheira at ~4m exp. I realise I should have a larger party but Aerie has been vamped and if I can't otherwise resolve it I don't mind recruiting some others. I want to resolve the encounter violently (:P).

Well, as noted in the readme, the combat portion of the CoC encounter is designed and balanced for a full six person party. Still, I have heard of people who have managed to solo it successfully, usually with a mage of some sort, so you might be able to do that as well.

I realise I should have a larger party but Aerie has been vamped and if I can't otherwise resolve it I don't mind recruiting some others.

It's possible to resurrect her before starting the CoC encounter. To do that, you need to load a game before you left the Graveyard district (an Autosave should be available) and turn down the game difficulty to the lowest setting. This will temporarily disable the CoC encounter and allow you to safely leave the area. To reactivate the CoC encounter, simply return to the Graveyard district after resurrecting Aerie, raise the game difficulty back to Core Rules (or higher) and try to leave the Graveyard district via Worldmap.

The main problem is my buffs getting stripped and I can't tell why.

That's odd. The only CoC members who have access to anti-magic spells are Zaeron (Wand of Spellstriking), Selina (Breach) and Bodak (Arrows of Dispelling). Try eliminating Zaeron quickly and see if your buffs are still getting dispelled during the battle. OTOH, if you are referring to the anti-magic wave which happens in the ambush cutscene, that's a one-time occurrence which is explained in Venduris' dialogue.

The only unknown I can see is Selina's scroll which could be Ruby Ray though I'm 90% sure its PW:Stun.

It's Power Word:Kill actually and she has three of them.

The Wand of Spellstriking and Dispel Magic shouldn't work since I have SI:A

In the unmodded game, Spell Immunity: Abjuration doesn't protect against anti-magic attacks from the abjuration school (such as Pierce Magic). That's why Zaeron is able to remove your defenses which, in term, leaves you open for an Arrow of Dispelling from Bodak.

Edited by aVENGER, 20 January 2009 - 11:09 PM.

#3 --ryuken--

--ryuken--

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

Thanks, I think knowing these things I may get Aerie back and relieve Jan of his stylish adventurewear.

Is there any reason why Pierce Magic and others can get through SI:A (I am fixpacked 6.1)?

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

Is there any reason why Pierce Magic and others can get through SI:A (I am fixpacked 6.1)?

That's simply how the spell system was designed in the original (unmodded) game. It's not something that's introduced or changed by RR.

AFAIK, the fixpack doesn't address this, but some other mods (i.e. Spell Revisions) do. See here for more details.