• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

Glad you like it, sorry the unfinished nature of the experiment bothers you. :[

Sorry to say that this also ends a bit abruptly; they're just experiments I deemed fun enough to share. I must move forward quickly to make t3h progresszors with what I wants... @_@

Attached Files

Edited by WeeRLegion, 18 May 2009 - 08:43 AM.

#62 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Interesting sound WeeR! :D Are you planning to create your own mod? The last one was cool for dungeons (as the name says). lol The previous one made me feel a mystical interior sound thingy. Like the temple of elemental evil! But anyway maybe it's just my imagination flying around. lol :lol:

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#63 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

Naaa, but I'm working trying to rough out a little something for a mod by someone else. ^^

#64 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nice! Wish you good luck to your task! Keep up the good work! :D

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#65 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, I'll try to. ^^

#66 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

So I got a little bit sidetracked from my current main objective... @_@

Attached Files

#67 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Forget about being sidetracked...that was awesome!

Seriously, you captured a real good melody there and your layering was great. (/end of lame useless technical criticism from Ace)

If you've ever played the Myst saga, I can totally see that song fitting into an adventure game like that. This is going on my music player on my desktop. Great job!!

From my standpoint on what I've heard of your music, you tend to like to stay on a couple notes going back and forth between them and then adding on more sounds and instruments to create a real nice resonance. It's nice to see you mixing that up a bit. :)

One little thing, if you can, try and see if your editor has a fade in/fade out process on it. The songs is kind of abrupt at the end but I don't know if you did that on purpose to show us a sample (if you did, never mind).
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#68 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Thanks! :hug:
(Squee! Ace likes one of mah musics! ^^)

Mmmm. Dunno about the fade ins and outs, but eh, that can be done with audacity. Not much trouble, I probably should use it more often... @_@

*Oh, right, you made an interesting observation about my usual comfort zones here. .p
I pick my notes with my guitar as I go, so it often goes like 'This one? Naa, sounds crap. This one? Mmm, sounds decent, but doesn't make for a sensible melody. Meh, well I know this one'll do the trick!'. .p
I've mostly worked with a lazy & loose interpretation of the E/Eb/D/C Minor scales (As in; Minor scales by whichever root note I can easily tune the fattest string to. .p )

This time however I wanted to try something different so I instead had the Dorian E & Eb scales loaded up here, so seeing where I could go, I wound up jumping around more. I suppose I shall have to stick to it, it does seem to yield improved results. @_@

Edited by WeeRLegion, 21 May 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#69 --theacefes--

--theacefes--

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

I have no idea what any of that major minor Dorian stuff really means, as I never studied scales though I'm sure I utilize them in my songs.

Basically what I'm observing is that you seem to use a system where you play one note for a time and then switch after a measure to another note, and then revert back to the original and then you seem to layer more sounds on top of that. This one you did not, so I was complimenting you on your effort in trying something new. :)

Variety in chords is good, though if you are doing game score type music that you don't jump around TOO much or people will lose what you're playing and it will sound random and offputting.

Again, awesome job and keep it up.

#70 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thankies some more. :]

I just meant to communicate that aside just jumping around more, It was also different from my usual stuff by being written strictly to a scale and a different scale than what I usually vaguely follow too.
Really, I don't know anything about scales either; they're just different groupings of notes than go well together and have tendencies to produce certain kinds of moods when adhered to strictly. I don't really know them, I just look something up when I feel like trying to use it. @_@

O ye, I figured that out about game background musics. they tend to be actually fairly monotonous themes with the occasional rhythms and melodies layered on top for variation. ^^

Edited by WeeRLegion, 21 May 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#71 --theacefes--

--theacefes--

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

O ye, I figured that out about game background musics. they tend to be actually fairly monotonous themes with the occasional rhythms and melodies layered on top for variation. ^^

Yeah exactly, it's pretty interesting how something so simple like that becomes the basis for the award winning stuff you hear in the movies and games. :)

#72 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:32 AM

So here's me going for the dull and monotonous. A little too much spice and orchestration though. @_@

I left a little quiet at the beginning and the end to let the sound fade in and away on it's own. @_@

Attached Files

#73 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Yay fading music instead of abrupt end ;-)

I had to listen it a couple of times before commenting, I left it playing while replying and reading other topics but it was soo relaxing that my brain stopped paying attention at it 9_9 I mean, being a background music it DOES its job of being a background ;-)
The piano (? I mean the instrument which does the main theme and starts around at 20 seconds) is a little weird, it's so different from the other instruments. It makes me think about some Crash Bandicoot level music - that's not bad, I love the music of that videogame, I downloaded all the tracks I could find on the internet XD
The drums/bells or whatever they are (I'm music ignorant, mind that! I mean the instrument that starts playing at 10 seconds) are great though, I love them!

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#74 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Very glad if ye likes it! :cheers:

10 Sec instrument is some weird effect thingy called 'Wet Floor', goes well with the reverb methinks. @_@
With the 20 sec instrument I'm guessing you refer to 'Pizzicato Strings', which is just a buncha strings played real sharp and short. @_@

#75 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Very good.

It's official...you are doing the soundtrack for Myst V. (I know there was already one, but it sucked horribly so I was thinking they could make another one just for me).

#76 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

Thanks! :]

Now if only I'd ever played a Myst game... xP

#77 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:59 AM

With the 20 sec instrument I'm guessing you refer to 'Pizzicato Strings', which is just a buncha strings played real sharp and short. @_@

Yes! That's it ;-)

oO My DA Gallery Oo

#78 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

You've never played a Myst game?!?!?!?

They are quite fun and they make you think. :) I've seen and been disappointed by RPGs that try to integrate puzzles into their quests and fail miserably. If an RPG had half the puzzle challenge in their puzzle quests as the Myst games did, well, we'd have cooler RPGs imo (just mine, no one else's necessarily).

Back on topic, keep up the good work.

#79 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:09 AM

Sumthn Weird this time.
A bit of a hodgepodge.

Attached Files

Edited by WeeRLegion, 10 June 2009 - 03:09 AM.

#80 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Simply wonderful ^_^

oO My DA Gallery Oo