#81 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:35 AM

If the Cowlies want to kill people (i.e. not torture/isolate),
a. Spellhold would be just a few spellcasters and a guillotine at the door
b. Irenicus would be dead
c. So would Imoen
d. Game over man.
But I figure it's the sheer isolation that drives the detainees batty.
Afterall, remember that Tom Hanks movie where the volleyball becomes his best friend?

#82 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:42 AM

The more you move forward, the more you got to know what you passed so you know where you are.
Is this mod going to break compatibility with Tortured Souls....? The one where you're with Yoshimo and Kachiko taking a side quest to Kara Tur when you've got the ship to Spellhold?

#83 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

I think you should consider.. that Quitch prolly does not care about other mods. If you want a relationship with Imoen.. install thi mod.. else.. don't post in this forum ... :)
And besides.. some sacrifices ARE required if you want a relationship with her. And i think it right.

#84 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:42 AM

Why should you explore your surroundings when you're supposed to be racing to help your childhood friend? Why say you can't explore when you don't know what the timer is? Why race if you don't care about her?

I'm not forcing you to race to save Imoen, I'm merely putting consequences in place, and they're not there so you hurry, they're there because I feel they should be. It's one of the few elements of the mod I haven't put up for debate.

Edited by Quitch, 29 June 2004 - 06:44 AM.

#85 -Dr.Shaman-

-Dr.Shaman-

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

Irenicus gain controll of the Spellhold only after PC pay to Gaelan or Bodhi(or is it only in the cutscene?)
If it's true, than this mean that Irenicus won't harm Imoen until third chapter, so what's a point in counting time before this moment? I don't think that coweled wizards harm her that much...
Even if it's not true, Wizards capture imoen only after PC exit from the prison.

Normaly it take 7-10 game days for me to reach Spellhold. I have sailed to Spellhold in a minimum time (first night after escape from the prison) once, and I think that this is insane. 10-15 days will be fine for normal players if they are aware of this timer.

#86 -Tengu-

-Tengu-

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:25 AM

Just one problem with the timer: If the PC is going to spellhold as fast as he can, how will he survive in Underdark without the experience? Even if you don't install any tactics-like mods, this will be darn difficult. :huh:

#87 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:49 PM

Isn't it terrible when doing good things for others entails making sacrifices yourself? I do believe that's what truly qualifies as a good act, rather than something which boosts the rep, earning you handy discounts at the store.

#88 Drasius

Drasius
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:43 PM

Isn't it terrible when doing good things for others entails making sacrifices yourself? I do believe that's what truly qualifies as a good act, rather than something which boosts the rep, earning you handy discounts at the store.

:D

Not that Quitch would ever do anything like that, but it shows that you have a good grasp of how the other half lives.

#89 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:09 AM

Of course, I wonder how many people make a sacrifice because they are generous and giving, and how many do it because they want to ensure others will do it for them too. Hmmm, and I wonder how many people really know which was the reason behind their sacrifice...

#90 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:40 AM

Hmmm, and I wonder how many people really know which was the reason behind their sacrifice...

Ah, I totally agree.
Either they desire to be "rewarded" in the specific kind of afterlife they believe in, or they want to be "known", "admired" and respected by all, considered good and saints. Often (and this is subtle to spot, but very common) people just want to create an "aurea" of respect so that their words, and so their influence over general matters, may weigh more.

A truly good act would be made - without anyone noticing! - by someone who doesn't believe in anything, and who also doesn't expect anything (in this life or in any other one) in return.

I'm not sure if I have ever witnessed such an act... maybe a couple done by myself. Maybe. Or probably I was missing something even then...
Luckily now I'm evil and I feel fine. ;)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#91 -Randal-

-Randal-

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:23 AM

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea whether this is at all possible or not. I have never made a mod, I know no programming languages, I have no idea how much you can change in the game scripts.

But I do think this would be a very interesting idea if it turns out to be at all possible.

The idea is this: Would it be possible to have the Spellhold cutscenes occur at different times than in the original SoA game? I.e. not when you start a new chapter, but with a timer.

So, instead of giving gold to Gaylan Bayle and then seeing Irenicus escape, you would see the cutscene after 3-4 days of play. The same would go for the cutscene showing Imoen's soul being stolen.

A possible way to implement this would be to make these cutscenes into additional dreams, triggering in the same way when you go to sleep. You click the rest-button, and the game shows "meanwhile, in Spellhold." and starts the loading screen for the cutscene.

The major advantage would be that there is a less artificial feel to the cutscenes, and the player actually has a feel of urgency, he realises he is running out of time without being told directly there is a timer. Even without foreknowledge of the plot, a gamer seeing Irenicus perform all kinds of horrid experiments and threatening Imoen will realise he's got to hurry up.

#92 Drasius

Drasius
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

A truly good act would be made - without anyone noticing! - by someone who doesn't believe in anything, and who also doesn't expect anything (in this life or in any other one) in return.

Probably why you have never noticed it, because these people don't need to flaunt their "Good deeds" in public places, and when you do something like that yourself, you don't really think about it as you don't consider it to be of major importance most of the time.

I must admit that, while I don't have in any sort of religeous beliefs, some of my "good acts" were simply for the aknowledgement factor and a bit of an ego boost, but not all.

But enough of this philosophising and self analyis, back to Imoen.

#93 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:57 AM

@Randal

That can be done.