Gamer reports

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

Oh, I meant it's probably a bug in the game executable itself, which basically puts it out of reach. Maybe Ascension64 could be talked into looking into it (even though the evidence is rather meagre), but other than that I don't think there is much to be done.
Maybe some headway could be made in identifying the conditions that result in this problem, by collecting weidu.logs of people who have this problem and comparing them with weidu.logs of people who do not have this problem (e.g. does it occur if you have 20 worldmap-area-adding mods installed but not if you merely have 15 such mods installed; or, is there a mod or set of mods that result in this problem, etc). But maybe the problem's not reproducible, which would make it difficult (like, really difficult) to narrow it down.

I can probably whip up something that fixes the 20h travel problem itself, but who knows what other problems arise from this bug.

I don't know about reproducible but this second BWP in a row with this bug.

My previous install was made end of last year. It was BG2 only install pretty much the same mods as now (only the mods added to BWP after install were missing). Also it didn't have the BP and the "Big Mods".

This present install was made at end of may and it has most of the mods from Expert BWP.

I reported this problem at august when i encountered it after transition from BG1 to BG2. Here's the tread with my Weidu log.

I really hope there some kind of fix. I've been avoiding Waukeen's Promenade as much as possible. When i've been there and after i finish my business i CLUA Console myself to City Gates. It's very annoying.

Edited by micbaldur, 14 October 2010 - 09:21 PM.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#22 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

The attached mod should be able to correct the 20h travel bug in a saved game. I'm not able to actually test it, but it should work. Reports on how well (if at all) it works are very appreciated. The fix is also simple so the risk for bugs should be minimal.

Edit: Attachment removed. If you need your saved game fixed, you can use the saved game converter in BP-BGT_Worldmap.

However, bear in mind it is written based on a single screwed-up worldmap. There's a good chance it's generally applicable, but if it isn't I would appreciate it if you uploaded the worldmap.wmp file from your override or game biff and the worldmap.wmp file from an affected saved game and posted the contents of your weidu.log file.

TP2:
Spoiler

Edited by Wisp, 26 October 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#23 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

Maybe some headway could be made in identifying the conditions that result in this problem, by collecting weidu.logs of people who have this problem and comparing them with weidu.logs of people who do not have this problem (...)

o.k., let me see if I can collect some logs at kerzenburg-forum and do the comparison.

Edit: ooops, You're quick..., thanks for that file, I'll try it.

Edited by Shuv-Oohl, 15 October 2010 - 06:12 AM.

#24 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Wisp :Bow: for the 20h travel bug fix. It did magic for my install. :ROFL:

I put these worldmap.wmp files and Weidu log here if they help identifying where this bug comes.

Here's worldmap from bif.
Attached File  WORLDMAP_bif.WMP.zip   348.03K   307 downloads

Here's worldmap from a save before i fixed the save.
Attached File  WORLDMAP_save.WMP.zip   351.43K   277 downloads

Remove .zip from the end of file names. I had to rename them because i couldn't upload .wmp files. So they aren't packed zip files.

Here's Weidu log
Spoiler

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#25 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:13 AM

The engine assumes a special order of the structures in the worldmap file.
More specific: When it merges new areas and links via xnewarea.2da, it looks at the currently last area entry, and sums up the starting index and the number of west links. This determines the new starting index for links it is going to add.

So the following should always be true:
(wmap.last_area.west_idx + wmap.last_area.west_num) == wmap.num_links

Whoever messes with the worldmap should take that into account.
When you look at the last area of the original worldmap, you see that all indices are set to num_links even though the area has no links.

Shuv-Oohls worldmap has G3G12A as last area entry and west_idx + west_num are 0. The new links (from xl3000.2da) are added at link index 0 and that's why you have the long travel times, which would normally be used when leaving AR3000.

Not sure if the worldmap mod is aware of this -- up to you guys.

/Edit: While we are at it, two more implicit assumptions from the merging code:
1. for every area: area.north_idx <= area.east_idx <= area.south_idx <= area.west_idx
2. across areas: area[n-1].west_idx <= area[n].north_idx
This imposes a strict order for the links. Note how the order differs from the file contents where N -> W -> S -> E.

Edited by Taimon, 16 October 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#26 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

More specific: When it merges new areas and links via xnewarea.2da, it looks at the currently last area entry, and sums up the starting index and the number of west links. This determines the new starting index for links it is going to add.

Whoever messes with the worldmap should take that into account.
When you look at the last area of the original worldmap, you see that all indices are set to num_links even though the area has no links.

Shuv-Oohls worldmap has G3G12A as last area entry and west_idx + west_num are 0. The new links (from xl3000.2da) are added at link index 0 and that's why you have the long travel times, which would normally be used when leaving AR3000.

Not sure if the worldmap mod is aware of this -- up to you guys.

/Edit: While we are at it, two more implicit assumptions from the merging code:
1. for every area: area.north_idx <= area.east_idx <= area.south_idx <= area.west_idx
2. across areas: area[n-1].west_idx <= area[n].north_idx
This imposes a strict order for the links. Note how the order differs from the file contents where N -> W -> S -> E.

That must be the Gibberlings3 Anniversary mod that used to have a BP-BGT Worldmap incompatibility and is probably a Big World Project fix that needs to be corrected.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#27 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

That must be the Gibberlings3 Anniversary mod that used to have a BP-BGT Worldmap incompatibility and is probably a Big World Project fix that needs to be corrected.

No, this is a problem in the worldmap mod. I'm not sure how I can make this more clear. (But I guess Wisp will understand ;))
The worldmap mod does not necessarily create a worldmap in the "expected format". It might happen, but it's not guaranteed.

#28 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm glad it's not a bug in the executable.

I'm surprised this problem isn't reported more often, seeing as how simply installing the worldmap mod is sufficient (I'm also surprised I somehow failed to reproduce this bug).

Since I appear to have ended up in charge of this I'll see if I can fix this and release a new version of the mod.

#29 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm surprised this problem isn't reported more often, seeing as how simply installing the worldmap mod is sufficient (I'm also surprised I somehow failed to reproduce this bug).

Me too. Should have affected a lot of people.

Since I appear to have ended up in charge of this I'll see if I can fix this and release a new version of the mod.

This fix will be tricky if you take the two additional restrictions into account. (see my edited post above)
I don't know, maybe it's easier to write an external program that restructures the worldmap after creation. (As opposed to do it while creating the map.)

#30 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

This fix will be tricky if you take the two additional restrictions into account. (see my edited post above)
I don't know, maybe it's easier to write an external program that restructures the worldmap after creation. (As opposed to do it while creating the map.)

Since the worldmap mod builds the file from the ground up I think you can probably get it right while doing it.

But making it index the worldmap correctly will probably require a significant rewrite. I hope no one terribly minds if I start fresh; e.g. there's no particular need for one subcomponent for the regular map and another for the Tutu map. Duplicating code like that just doubles the upkeep.

Edited by Wisp, 17 October 2010 - 05:40 AM.

#31 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

But making it index the worldmap correctly will probably require a significant rewrite.

That's why I thought about that external tool quickfix.
But if you want to do a rewrite, sure go ahead. It is certainly possible and you are more than capable. :)

Let me know if you need more internal engine information.

#32 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

Thank you.

#33 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thank you.

Thanks for all of your help and support guys! :new_thumbs:

@Wisp

In the current Worldmap files, the extra link for TDD is not present as I require the Worldmap extracted when TDD is installed so TDD can patch the tables in regards to the areas DD8000 and DD8001 to make travel possible between them. Here are my tbl extension so it can be included in the new update of Worldmap at some point.
DD8000    S         DD8001      EXIT8000    7         8          N        N        N        N        N        0
DD8001    N         DD8000      EXIT8001    7         8          N        N        N        N        N        0

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Hop

Edited by Hoppy, 18 October 2010 - 12:03 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#34 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

In the current Worldmap files, the extra link for TDD is not present as I require the Worldmap extracted when TDD is installed so TDD can patch the tables in regards to the areas DD8000 and DD8001 to make travel possible between them. Here are my tbl extension so it can be included in the new update of Worldmap at some point.

DD8000    S         DD8001      EXIT8000    7         8          N        N        N        N        N        0
DD8001    N         DD8000      EXIT8001    7         8          N        N        N        N        N        0

Which table should this be added to? BP-BGT_Worldmap/Revised/TBL/new_map_mods_links_TDD.tbl?

#35 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Which table should this be added to? BP-BGT_Worldmap/Revised/TBL/new_map_mods_links_TDD.tbl?

That is correct and from memory there wasn't an issue with the Original Times component but it may be worth checking to make sure.

- King Diamond

#36 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

I just finished some crucial quests in my actual BWP-run and so it's time to say "Thank You, Wisp!"

With the v8.01-Worldmap and a huge bunch of tactic mods installed there is

no G3 Anniversary mod area bug
no 20h Travel time bug
no Worldmap bug at all.

It just works perfect! You delivered high quality work, thanks Wisp.

#37 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

It's nice to hear it's working in the wild. Thank you.