EET BGT

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#401 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

Hi,

I've checked your updated version of BGSpawn on a fresh EET installation, and I am facing a problem ; all the intermaps "you have been waylaid..." are systematically empty, with no enemy.

Anybody facing same problem?

Thanks for reporting! I've uploaded a new version (same link as above) that hopefully should solve the issue.

#402 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:27 AM

Hi,

I've checked your updated version of BGSpawn on a fresh EET installation, and I am facing a problem ; all the intermaps "you have been waylaid..." are systematically empty, with no enemy.

Anybody facing same problem?

Thanks for reporting! I've uploaded a new version (same link as above) that hopefully should solve the issue.

Hmm, you could... well, actually I don't know if you could, but I at least can:

Attached File  bgspawn_upd.zip   7.89MB   192 downloads

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#403 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I'm going to test it and report.

Regarding the main component, I'm facing another type of problem ; I play with Stratagems, and the random encounters are just too strong.

For example, with my team average level 3, I meet Orc bands with a cleric casting lvl6 spell, and 2-3 berserkers who can one-shot any of my team members...

Each random encounter becomes a deadly threat, it's not playable.

I don't remember such a difficulty in BGT version...

Any suggestion?

#404 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:01 AM

Any suggestion?

I know you don't want to hear this, but: Don't assume this mod supports a BG1EE+ games:

BGSpawn is a WeiDU-mod compatible with BGT-WeiDU only.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#405 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:34 AM

Any suggestion?

I know you don't want to hear this, but: Don't assume this mod supports a BG1EE+ games:

BGSpawn is a WeiDU-mod compatible with BGT-WeiDU only.

You're right, I don't want to hear that :D

In the meantime, I'm quite sad that no alternative to this excellent mod is currently available for EET. This revision BGspawn of Henanigan works well, but it need to be balanced...

#406 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:30 AM

There is BGEESpawn (fort EET you need to download latest dev version: https://github.com/A...hive/master.zip)

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#407 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

You're right, I don't want to hear that :D

In the meantime, I'm quite sad that no alternative to this excellent mod is currently available for EET. This revision BGspawn of Henanigan works well, but it need to be balanced...

Like the readme says, "this mod is intended to be played in a BGT (Baldur’s Gate Trilogy) game only, as it uses many of the creatures from that engine"; i.e. it won't work with BG1. The revision works with EET, but whether it's balanced (esp. along with SCS) is quite another matter.

The readme also says this: "Another aim of the mod is to give some challenges to the players, even the most experienced will find hard time sometimes playing with the new system. Let’s also install a tactic-mod as SCS in your game and definitely spawns now could be a serious problem for your party." So it seems to work as designed? Differences making the mod more unbalanced in EET than it is in BGT might be possible to fix though.

Edited by Henanigan, 16 November 2020 - 05:33 PM.

#408 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:27 PM

There is BGEESpawn (fort EET you need to download latest dev version: https://github.com/A...hive/master.zip)

It's far far far away from the original BGSpawn. But one component is interesting : select the percentage of chance of a spawn to happen on a spawn area.

Like the readme says, "this mod is intended to be played in a BGT (Baldur’s Gate Trilogy) game only, as it uses many of the creatures from that engine"; i.e. it won't work with BG1. The revision works with EET, as Jarmo would have found had he tried it, but whether it's balanced (esp. along with SCS) is quite another matter.

The readme also says this: "Another aim of the mod is to give some challenges to the players, even the most experienced will find hard time sometimes playing with the new system. Let’s also install a tactic-mod as SCS in your game and definitely spawns now could be a serious problem for your party." So it seems to work as designed? If someone who unlike Jarmo actually tried the revision could point to engine differences making the mod more unbalanced in EET than it is in BGT, then that might be possible to fix.

I agree with that, but as I said before, I played many games before with both BGSpawn and SCS (or Stratagems), and the difficulty was not that high back then.

#409 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:40 PM

The readme also says this:

It doesn't know what it's talking about. As you'll hopefully find out. They never have, being old as the stones themselves.

If someone who unlike Jarno actually tried the revision could point to engine differences making the mod more unbalanced in EET than it is in BGT, then that might be possible to fix.

Ha, this is funny. See, the problem likely comes from the EET version using the BG2EE's creatures, which are off balanced when installed with SCS. The reason being that the EET creatures having higher levels than the BGT(-weidu) ones, and the SCS not taking this account like it can with BGT, of the same creature names ... and now who is to say it's an engine difference. As it's very likely; a not. But a difference between the two conversions of the game.

Ouh, and spell my name correctly while you are at it. It's an -n-, instead of -m-.

#410 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

See, the problem likely comes from the EET version using the BG2EE's creatures, which are off balanced when installed with SCS. The reason being that the EET creatures having higher levels than the BGT(-weidu) ones, and the SCS not taking this account like it can with BGT, of the same creature names ...

I don't quite see your point. You seem to be talking about a mod compatibility issue: SCS boosting this mod's creatures out of scale. Yet you keep telling people that they shouldn't assume this mod supports EE games. Trying to pinpoint the actual issue helps.

Edited by Henanigan, 17 November 2020 - 09:46 AM.

#411 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:30 PM

I agree with that, but as I said before, I played many games before with both BGSpawn and SCS (or Stratagems), and the difficulty was not that high back then.

This is an issue using BGSpawn with EET + SCS, right? Not using it with EET itself?

Edited by Henanigan, 17 November 2020 - 02:36 AM.

#412 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

I don't have much time to test that now, I'll report when I find time.

My feeling is that the spawns are the same whenever charname is lvl 1 and alone or if you hang around with a 161000 xp 6 members party. I'm going to  double check that feeling.

#413 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:48 AM

My feeling is that the spawns are the same whenever charname is lvl 1 and alone or if you hang around with a 161000 xp 6 members party. I'm going to  double check that feeling.

Huh. That should depend on script triggers that remain unchanged in EE as far as I can tell. Maybe I didn't look close enough. Will try to find the time, as well.

#414 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

I've checked, the spawns are level-based.

But the inter-maps monsters are not ; With a lvl 1 Charname alone, I met a Baloch between Lion Way and High Edge... :crying:

#415 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:17 AM

I've checked, the spawns are level-based.

But the inter-maps monsters are not ; With a lvl 1 Charname alone, I met a Baloch between Lion Way and High Edge... :crying:

Glad to hear that it's partly working at least. :) Yup, a one man party runs a 10% risk of encountering a Baloch in a grasslands area. I did not touch percentages or creature types in my conversion; I'm curious if I should have.

#416 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:11 AM

This mod rewrites ARE file headers. This should not be a problem since the ARE file format remains unchanged in EE games (according to the IESDP).

The regions added by the mod have hardcoded script names. My conversion takes care of that.

My conversion deals with stuff such as EE Unicode support as well.

Sure, EE would have the EE versions of creatures, not older versions, if indeed there are differences. Should be the expected behaviour though.

SCS (or any other mod) may be incompatible for all I know, but I'm not sure why SCS in particular would.

Why should people not assume that the converted version of this mod supports EE games? (EET, specifically; the mod was made for BGT, not the standalone games, and similarly my conversion adds EET support and nothing else.)

[Edit: typo]

Edited by Henanigan, 20 November 2020 - 07:43 AM.

#417 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:45 AM

Why should people not assume that the converted version of this mod supports EE games? (EET, specifically; the mod was made for BGT, not the standalone games, and similarly my conversion adds EET support and nothing else.)

If you would quote me for what I quoted, you would be able to figure out that we might not have been talking about your modconvertion at all. For I quoted the very first post in this topic by melkor_morgoth75, which is the original release of this mod, not your conversion of it. Which I'll admittedly had forgotten I had uploaded in a previous instance. :devil: :ROFL: Simply because it's not the original release. To help yourself, and us out, you could make a rerelease topic in this very forum.

#418 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:31 AM

If you would quote me for what I quoted, you would be able to figure out that we might not have been talking about your modconvertion at all. For I quoted the very first post in this topic by melkor_morgoth75, which is the original release of this mod, not your conversion of it. Which I'll admittedly had forgotten I had uploaded in a previous instance. :devil: :ROFL: Simply because it's not the original release. To help yourself, and us out, you could make a rerelease topic in this very forum.

I thought you quoted the readme.  :shifty:  Right, okay, LeMarvin explicitly referred to my conversion, and the fact that you had uploaded it sort of threw me for a minute.  :ROFL: All clear now.

I would do as you suggest but I'd want to check with melkor_morgoth75 first. So limbo it is, for now.

#419 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

Hi guys,

As The Imp mentioned, it is important before you can make an official release to have a approval of the original author. I had a discussion with Freddy about that lately on the French community's forum,where I belong. Of course, if no answer occur after a while (I think 3 months), we can assume that he is no more active and can proceed.

I highly recommand you to do the same. Your work looks a quality one, and even though I might be the only one to express it, I know many people still have the good memory of this mod, and would really enjoyed to play it on the EE engine.

One though I had : As you might know, there is a BGEESpawn mod which - with all due respect to its author - if very far below the original BGSpawn, but it has a very nice component to select on the Weidu installation, the probability of spawn point to be populated when triggered.

Do you think this coponent could be implemented on your updated version of BGSpawn?

Edited by LeMarvin, 20 November 2020 - 12:42 PM.

#420 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:03 AM

Of course, if no answer occur after a while (I think 3 months), we can assume that he is no more active

Yes, according to his profile page, melkor_morgoth75 was last active Jan 26 2017. But you never know!

it has a very nice component to select on the Weidu installation, the probability of spawn point to be populated when triggered.

Do you think this coponent could be implemented on your updated version of BGSpawn?

Should be possible, given that the code base is quite similar :) Not sure if the spawn probability should affect random encounter areas as well, though? For now, I've implemented it throughout. You're welcome to try it if you'd like:

Some cleanup done as well (EET support added at install time without duplicate files).

Edited to add: Some spawn regions already have 'empty' encounters in this mod, decreasing the chance of a spawn encounter in these areas even further with the optional component.

Edited by Henanigan, 09 June 2021 - 05:35 PM.