• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#421 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

Thanks, I'm going to try it right away.

According to me, it make more sense to have one or two tough random encounters per map instead of 8-10 easy ones. So keeping the present difficulty but decreasing the probability of occurrence of spawns could be the solution in my case.

#422 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:00 PM

Hi,

I'm getting a error message while installing in English ; in French it works, except the new component. Please note that this problem was there as well in the previous version.

#423 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I'm getting a error message while installing in English ; in French it works, except the new component. Please note that this problem was there as well in the previous version.

There's a reason the error message is constructed as is, to point you that you need to provide the .debug files content to a post(preferedly in spoilers tags, so go open the file with Notepad and copypaste). As it has a lot of info your short message doesn't have.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#424 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

Not sure why it's not working for you in English. As for the new component not working though, apparently the installer doesn't fall back to English. I've uploaded a new version of the zip that installs for me in French; does it fix the issue for you? Same link as above.

(If you had a broken install previously, do you have any trash fl#utf8 files sitting around in your tra folder(s) after uninstalling?)

Edited by Henanigan, 22 November 2020 - 05:05 PM.

#425 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:29 AM

Sorry guys, I though I attached it ;)

Spoiler

EDIT : You're last updated version installed properly.
I'm taking little time to test it, and I will report.

Edited by LeMarvin, 23 November 2020 - 02:07 AM.

#426 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:41 AM

So, After checking, you component works well. The only thing is that it also affects the inter-maps encounters, and most of those mini-maps are now empty.

The positive point is that the specific inter-maps encounter are preserved ; I met Dorn and his fellows on a mini-map.

One question I have, is it easily possible to make exceptions on specific maps? I mean, to meet only one group of gnolls in there fortress is quite weird...

#427 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:01 AM

So, After checking, you component works well. The only thing is that it also affects the inter-maps encounters, and most of those mini-maps are now empty.

The positive point is that the specific inter-maps encounter are preserved ; I met Dorn and his fellows on a mini-map.

One question I have, is it easily possible to make exceptions on specific maps? I mean, to meet only one group of gnolls in there fortress is quite weird...

Thanks for checking! About the inter-maps, yes, that's what I meant by this:

Not sure if the spawn probability should affect random encounter areas as well, though? For now, I've implemented it throughout.

Like you said, the inter-maps may (or may not) be empty now, depending on the probability set. I could remove that altogether (100% all the time for all random encounter maps), or adjust them differently.

Maybe the gnolls were all out hunting. :) It's possible to fine-tune by region, but if I do that, I probably should make it customizable what regions are affected... A bit of work.

Edited by Henanigan, 23 November 2020 - 02:18 AM.

#428 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:47 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

According to me, increasing or decreasing the number of random encounters area makes sense, but having empty mini-maps doesn't. There should be 100% chance of spawn on those maps.

To make each maps customizable would turn the installation into a pain in the a.s... I think only 2-3 maps require this fine tuning, like the gnoll fortress, Flamewine underground, Underdark, and such places...

#429 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:25 AM

According to me, increasing or decreasing the number of random encounters area makes sense, but having empty mini-maps doesn't. There should be 100% chance of spawn on those maps.

To make each maps customizable would turn the installation into a pain in the a.s... I think only 2-3 maps require this fine tuning, like the gnoll fortress, Flamewine underground, Underdark, and such places...

Hi, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Yep, on second thoughts, I agree that adjusting random encounter maps along with spawn points is not the expected behaviour. I've uploaded a new version (same procedure, same link).

As for the fine tuning, not all players may agree on what specific areas should be excluded or not. For that reason I'm thinking it should be customizable.

Edited to add: What about two options: 1) adjusting all spawns, 2) adjusting wandering monsters only, excluding 'patrols'. That would depend on people agreeing on what spawns are actually 'patrols'... :)

Edited by Henanigan, 09 June 2021 - 05:34 PM.

#430 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

Your two options are very good I think. I have no idea how much work it would require, but if is possible, i would be great.

According to me, I think that some spawns on some maps should be compulsory, and other ones should not.

Example, in the gnoll fortress, I think 1 group near to the main entrance is compulsory, as well as 2 or 3 groups inside.

Similarly, the xvart village should be populated.

Always the a realistic way of view, I think those spawns should all be activated well the party first gets into the map, so that groups can call each other for help.

In my last game, I attacked the xvart village, killed every body, and just moved few meters on the left and a other group spawned. In a realistic way, the group should have join the main fight.

What do you think?

#431 LeMarvin

LeMarvin
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

Another idea came to my mind. I always like to play the game in the most realistic manner.

Is it possible to make the spawn to happen not when the spawn point is within the vision range of the group, but when the group gets to the map? If so, it would be nice also to allow the monsters to move within a radius so that it won't look like a pack of six gnolls just waiting in raw... And with the "better call for help" component of SCS, it would be even greater, so that groups can call each other if they are near.

#432 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

I've tidied up my version of this mod a bit. No further updates, just some code cleanup. These are the changes made:

– BiG World Fixpack v19 patch incorporated.
EET support added (cpmvars; file renaming/patching as necessary at install time, restored afterwards).
– Language setup updated for EE: 'setup' / 'game' tra files; iconv added for UTF-8.
– Adjustable spawnpoint probability added (with a nod to the bgeespawn project).
– AUTHOR replaced by SUPPORT in tp2 file.

And this time I remembered to update the version number...

I have not been able to reach MelkorMorgoth75. However, apart from the adjustable probability (which is an optional feature), my updates are fixes only. If the staff would like to host my updated version instead of the current corrupted archive, please go ahead!

[Link removed, see below]

Like MelkorMorgoth's readme says, this mod touches the BG(EE) part of the game only, but it still needs BG2(EE) since it makes us of creatures not present in BG(EE). Accordingly this version is for BGT and EET (not the standalone games).

Edited by Henanigan, 14 June 2021 - 03:54 AM.

#433 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:15 AM

@Henanigan what does this mean:

EET support added (cpmvars; file renaming/patching as necessary at install time)
(Captain Obvious adds: there's no EET-back-to-BGT conversion script, simply restore from the zip instead)

If the mod's resources inside the actual mod folder get changed upon installation on the EET this is bound to lead to errors/problems/ wrong versions being packed in the future, especially because noone expects a mod to work this way. This shouldn't be necessary, resources can be renamed while being copied to the override etc. Please work with temporary folders that can/will be deleted after installation.

Edited by jastey, 10 June 2021 - 01:15 AM.

#434 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:11 AM

@Henanigan what does this mean:

Had you had a 20 seconds look at the .tp2 file in the mod, you would know it leads into this:

.tp2-lines 317 - 321:

// For EET

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN
	INCLUDE ~BGSpawn/lib/EET_fileRename.tpa~
END

Which leads into:

Spoiler

Yeah, the mod does not intergrate the common EET/BGT lib that does this in other mods, in far more elegant way... probably because I don't even know how it's used exactly, so Henanigan has less chance of it, than a fly in a ~non elegane words~ shower.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#435 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:56 AM

Edited by Henanigan, 14 June 2021 - 03:53 AM.

#436 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • Modder
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:29 PM

It's normal practice for people to extract mod once into game folder, install it and then copy mod folder to another game. Please try to achieve mod immutability that stands for "no mod files are modified during installation" and mod encapsulation that stands for "resetting variables after each component and structuring component so that are self-contained monoliths" things.

Project Infinity public BETA - mod manager for Infinity Engine games

Infinity Auto Packager - automatically generate and adds mod packages to GitHub release

Modder's Guide to GitHub - you cannot have progress without committing changes

#437 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:06 PM

And done.

[Link removed, see below]

Edited by Henanigan, 14 June 2021 - 03:53 AM.

#438 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:39 PM

Hi Alien,

Thanks for your post -- a welcome change to the imp's s***posting.

Edited by Henanigan, 14 June 2021 - 03:52 AM.

#439 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:55 PM

It's normal practice for people to extract mod once into game folder, install it and then copy mod folder to another game...
Really ? Cause sure as hell your mod folder backup folder being bumped by yet anothergames content sure isn't going to make it merry uninstall process ... DavidW has his own shitfuckery reason to extracate the mods source code and the install folder, and it has nothing to actually to do with the "no mod files are modified during installation", but very much the reverse, as the patching of the files in the actual mod folder called workspace -folder is the whole point of the mods install process, the copy over after that is complete is just a finaling phase, this process can intergrate multiple mods. Without effecting the sources.
a welcome change to the imp's s***posting.
Did you learn something from it, and perhaps gave you some motivation ? Good. See, evil spells live, in reverse.

#440 Henanigan

Henanigan
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

Did you learn something from it, and perhaps gave you some motivation ? Good. See, evil spells live, in reverse.

Don't flatter yourself too much. Jastey and others are doing a great job updating other mods. Evil spells ensure more work for them.

Edited by Henanigan, 10 June 2021 - 11:15 PM.