I would like to introduce a hopefully useful tool to you.
As the topic tells you, its name is "BiG World Setup" and the goal of this tool is to make it easy for you to choose the mods you would like to have for your BiG World and install them with the same ease.
Currently, you will be able to start as follows:
- select the game-folders you want to install (tests will be made if they meet the requirements)
- select between predefined mod-selections
The impatient or newbies can start right away, others may
- add or remove almost all mods or mod-groups (the mods that come in chapters) as you like (well, there are a few fixed ones). To assist you, you can read short explanations of the mods (just like from Leonardo Watsons guide).
After you have chosen you selection, checks for conflicts and open dependencies are made. Your selection will be saved after that. A Test for the availability of the mods you want will be started.
There should not be too many, since an update of the current database is made every time you start the application. This is done via a download of a compressed version of the link-list at the Kerzenburg-Forum, which also hosts the download. You can see a summery at the end of the test.
- ask you to create a backup (it is possible to save and restore at almost any time)
- start downloading all the files.
- test if anything was missing and tell you that. You can choose to remove the missing mods from your selection, or download them by yourself (the download-URL will be launched by your favourite browser).
- extract all the archives (unnecessary folders are stripped away, double-packed archives are handled and nsis-installers are executed with the silent-command-line-switch)
- test if anything was missing again and tell you that. You can choose to remove the missing mods from your selection, or extract them by yourself (the archive-file will be launched with your favourite packager).
After this is all done, the Batch-Installer will be modified so that the BGT-WeiDU-installer will use the selected BG1-folder for the installation and the batch-file will be executed ââ?¬â?? or skip the test for BGT.
Sound nice, eh? Well, I hope it does.
-checks for program-updates at the start
-help-texts in all windows that a normal user will enter
-search within the mods (name/description)
-detection of a few possible installation-folders, even if you did just copy the installation
-testing of already downloaded files for the current selection
-possibility to continue from the point where you closed the application or all your bits and bites crashed and burned to hell.
-remove mods from the list that are not available in the selected language.
Currently we provide English an German translations. So if you want your game to be in English only, your wish is just a mouse-click away.
-logs all over the place
-crash-logging, so you can post an Error-log when the application crashes
But you will have to be a little patient for the best feature.
We (the BiG World Project-Team) want to go deeper and be able to select all the components itself.
Parts of the requirements are already implemented, but it will take a little (longer) time to have current data and a good way to run and test the WeiDU-installations.
But to help those that just want to play the game without reading a lot or having a bunch of handiwork, we decided to release this as a "quite stable" beta.
Some mods may be located on servers that need passwords and the setup can't handle that.
It's not a bug if those mods cannot be downloaded. You will be assisted to download those mods to integrate them into your installation.
We need you...
The whole tool is a little script that has exceeded the size of any script I have done; so if you do know the scripting language AutoIt3 and want to contribute, that would be appreciated.
If you like the application itself and want it to display your native tongue, please have a look at the Conf\Translation.ini-file. You can find all current translations there. Today it's two of them, but that may change. To get started, you may want to replace the German translation and leave the English one as the original one. This way, you can figure the length of text that's suggested.
It would be really nice to have some feedback.
Not just the errors, but also some success-stories.
If anything goes wrong, I will try to give you some support. This may take some time, since I have my work and have some hobbies, so please stay patient.
Hmmm, I think that's it.
Here is the Download.
If your system does not run the BWS right after you unpacked the files, your registry may have been edited so VBS is disabled.
Either run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings to set the value of the key enabled to 1 or just go into the path you extracted the BWS to and drag the BiG World Setup.au3 onto the AutoIt3.exe.
The BiG World Team
I don't plan to update the BWS standard-branch anymore if the beta is somewhat stable.
The beta has improved download and extraction-features and updating both is a bit of a hassle.
Fetch it here and report to this thread if you had problems or not to improve it.
Looking for BWS tender
Edited by dabus, 14 September 2011 - 06:29 AM.