• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#1 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

*takes his hat of*
Hi there.

I would like to introduce a hopefully useful tool to you.
As the topic tells you, its name is "BiG World Setup" and the goal of this tool is to make it easy for you to choose the mods you would like to have for your BiG World and install them with the same ease.

Currently, you will be able to start as follows:
- select the game-folders you want to install (tests will be made if they meet the requirements)
- select between predefined mod-selections

The impatient or newbies can start right away, others may
- add or remove almost all mods or mod-groups (the mods that come in chapters) as you like (well, there are a few fixed ones). To assist you, you can read short explanations of the mods (just like from Leonardo Watsons guide).

After you have chosen you selection, checks for conflicts and open dependencies are made. Your selection will be saved after that. A Test for the availability of the mods you want will be started.
There should not be too many, since an update of the current database is made every time you start the application. This is done via a download of a compressed version of the link-list at the Kerzenburg-Forum, which also hosts the download. You can see a summery at the end of the test.

Aaaaand action
- ask you to create a backup (it is possible to save and restore at almost any time)
- start downloading all the files.
- test if anything was missing and tell you that. You can choose to remove the missing mods from your selection, or download them by yourself (the download-URL will be launched by your favourite browser).
- extract all the archives (unnecessary folders are stripped away, double-packed archives are handled and nsis-installers are executed with the silent-command-line-switch)
- test if anything was missing again and tell you that. You can choose to remove the missing mods from your selection, or extract them by yourself (the archive-file will be launched with your favourite packager).

After this is all done, the Batch-Installer will be modified so that the BGT-WeiDU-installer will use the selected BG1-folder for the installation and the batch-file will be executed ââ?¬â?? or skip the test for BGT.

Sound nice, eh? Well, I hope it does. :D

Other features
-checks for program-updates at the start
-help-texts in all windows that a normal user will enter
-search within the mods (name/description)
-detection of a few possible installation-folders, even if you did just copy the installation
-testing of already downloaded files for the current selection
-possibility to continue from the point where you closed the application or all your bits and bites crashed and burned to hell. :whistling:
-remove mods from the list that are not available in the selected language.
Currently we provide English an German translations. So if you want your game to be in English only, your wish is just a mouse-click away.
-logs all over the place
-crash-logging, so you can post an Error-log when the application crashes

But you will have to be a little patient for the best feature.
We (the BiG World Project-Team) want to go deeper and be able to select all the components itself.
Parts of the requirements are already implemented, but it will take a little (longer) time to have current data and a good way to run and test the WeiDU-installations.
But to help those that just want to play the game without reading a lot or having a bunch of handiwork, we decided to release this as a "quite stable" beta.

Some notes
Some mods may be located on servers that need passwords and the setup can't handle that.
It's not a bug if those mods cannot be downloaded. You will be assisted to download those mods to integrate them into your installation.

We need you...

The whole tool is a little script that has exceeded the size of any script I have done; so if you do know the scripting language AutoIt3 and want to contribute, that would be appreciated.

If you like the application itself and want it to display your native tongue, please have a look at the Conf\Translation.ini-file. You can find all current translations there. Today it's two of them, but that may change. To get started, you may want to replace the German translation and leave the English one as the original one. This way, you can figure the length of text that's suggested.

It would be really nice to have some feedback.
Not just the errors, but also some success-stories.
If anything goes wrong, I will try to give you some support. This may take some time, since I have my work and have some hobbies, so please stay patient.

Hmmm, I think that's it.

Here is the Download.

Note:
If your system does not run the BWS right after you unpacked the files, your registry may have been edited so VBS is disabled.
Either run regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings to set the value of the key enabled to 1 or just go into the path you extracted the BWS to and drag the BiG World Setup.au3 onto the AutoIt3.exe.

Have fun
The BiG World Team

Edit:
I don't plan to update the BWS standard-branch anymore if the beta is somewhat stable.
The beta has improved download and extraction-features and updating both is a bit of a hassle.

Fetch it here and report to this thread if you had problems or not to improve it.

Looking for BWS tender

Edited by dabus, 14 September 2011 - 06:29 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#2 razlyubleno

razlyubleno
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

I'm taking a look at it just now, but if everything is as how you describe it, then you should most certainly be proud... this is quite an accomplishment.

razly

#3 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

:Bow: That's really amazing! :Bow: It's a pity i'm away from my pc and i can't test it now. (i'm in my parents' home for easter holidays) Anyway, Big thanks to all BWP team! And big thanx to you Dabus! :D

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#4 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

This tool looks even greater that I expected it to be :D . Great work dabus! Thank you for making it! :cheers: I can't wait to use it in my next BWP install :)

#5 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

Your wonderful program :Bow: does not seem to see that these file are extracted.

The extraction of the following file(s) failed:
BiG World Installpack v6.0: The Mod itself (BiG_World_Installpack_v6.0.1.7z) ¹
BiG World Fixpack v6.0.8: The Mod itself (BiG_World_Fixpack_v6.0.9.7z) ¹
WeiDU (Tool) v210: The Mod itself (WeiDU-Windows-210.zip) ¹
Beregost Crash Fixer (Utility) v1.7: The Mod itself (BeregostCrashFixer17.zip) ¹
¹ Cannot proceed installation without this essential file.

Some files were not extracted.
Do you want to open the files in your default-packager to try it yourself?
Enter [y]es or [n]o.
BiG World Installpack v6.0
Enter [n]ext, skip [o]nce or skip [a]ll.
BiG World Fixpack v6.0.8
WeiDU (Tool) v210
Beregost Crash Fixer (Utility) v1.7
The extraction of the following file(s) failed:
BiG World Installpack v6.0: The Mod itself (BiG_World_Installpack_v6.0.1.7z) ¹
BiG World Fixpack v6.0.8: The Mod itself (BiG_World_Fixpack_v6.0.9.7z) ¹
WeiDU (Tool) v210: The Mod itself (WeiDU-Windows-210.zip) ¹
Beregost Crash Fixer (Utility) v1.7: The Mod itself (BeregostCrashFixer17.zip) ¹
¹ Cannot proceed installation without this essential file.

Please fetch the files that are marked as essential first.
Aborting the installation.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#6 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

Thanks.

@Chevalier: Yeah, that's true.
The BWS searches for the tp2-file(s) of the selected mods and a function should have created those files earlier.
It is just a little extra-check to see if things went wrong during the extraction-process.
Since those files do not own a tp2-file, it's just a dummy-file so I do not have to bypass the check for those files.

I must admint that we never had such a problem, so I did not create a fallback / second creation for those files.

Creating a file names BWFixpack.tp2, BWInstallpack.tp2 WeiDU.tp2 and BeregostCF.tp2 in your BG2-folder should fix your problem. (Remember that you show the extensions you know, otherwise you might create textfiles).

After that, start the setup again. There isn't much to do, but I would like to know if it work from there on. ;)

Edited by dabus, 13 April 2009 - 07:26 AM.

#7 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the quick answer, I will try that after I get some sleep. :zzz:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#8 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

I've tested it and can't reproduce the error, but White Agnus seems to have the same problem and we'll see if we can figure out what causes this error.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

I've tested it and can't reproduce the error, but White Agnus seems to have the same problem and we'll see if we can figure out what causes this error.

Might they be independently downloaded and extracted files before the BWSetup tool was there...

Now, I do not know if the Kerzenburg-Forum has noticed this problem, but as the Widescreen mod was updated to v2.1, it causes this error, which should be because of the large difference in the WeiDU.exe(8 time bigger), so the currently info would say not to use the v2.1, but the v2.0, or not to extract the file before running the BWP installer, and then unpack and install it later.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 13 April 2009 - 02:18 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

I've cleaned the folder before testing, so there were no tp2-files in the folder.
You are right to suggest the widescreen-hint, but it has nothing to do with the problem Chevalier posted.

But anyway, I'll call it a day.
Good night.

#11 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

My father's dead.
I'm all numb.
My mother's breaking down.
I'm out for some time.

#12 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

:( I am sorry to hear your news. I will pray for you and your family!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#13 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

From the German Forum:

Hmm, actually fits.

Go look at the list BiG World Setup \ Config and open the Setup.ini Go look at the list BiG World Setup \ Config and open the Setup.ini
There is quite a section [Order]. There is quite a section [Order]. When you are there when you are there

Au3ExFix = 4 Au3ExFix = 4
Au3ExTest = 1 Au3ExTest = 1

Set here the second value to four, so that there is here the second set value to four, so that there

Au3ExTest = 4 Au3ExTest = 4

stands. stands.

It skips the test in which it is stuck. It skips the test in which it is stuck.
Much will happen anyway but not anymore. Much will happen anyway but not anymore.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#14 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

From the German Forum:

Hmm, actually fits.

Go look at the list BiG World Setup \ Config and open the Setup.ini Go look at the list BiG World Setup \ Config and open the Setup.ini
There is quite a section [Order]. There is quite a section [Order]. When you are there when you are there

Set here the second value to four, so that there is here the second set value to four, so that there

stands. stands.

Much will happen anyway but not anymore. Much will happen anyway but not anymore.

Chevalier, have you tested this and is it working for you?
This easier workaround is working for the German gamers and we want to know if this workaround is working for Englisch installations, too.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#15 Larry89

Larry89
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

This is amazing thankyou

#16 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

From the German Forum:

Hmm, actually fits.

stands. stands.

Chevalier, have you tested this and is it working for you?
This easier workaround is working for the German gamers and we want to know if this workaround is working for Englisch installations, too.

Greetings Leomar

Yes, it let the setup continue.

What I am confused about is I thought I would be able to select which mods and which sub-components of the mods with the Big World Setup and not have to edit the Big World Install.bat myself. The Setup starts the install bat and I can only pick the 3 version and it will install all of the mods (expert version) in my BG folder. Does the setup only help you download?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#17 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

You have to put a check in the box below where you select expert, tactical or whatever, then you can select which mods to install.

#18 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

I did that and went though the list checking the mods I wanted. It said that 'Later you will be able to select the components here.' Does that mean that the feature not yet finished or later in the process I will be able to select it?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#19 Killua

Killua
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

A wonderful tool! But when I double click "BiG World Setup.vbs", I got error as this image. Um... what a pity.

Attached Images

• autoit.png

Edited by Killua, 17 April 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#20 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

I did that and went though the list checking the mods I wanted. It said that 'Later you will be able to select the components here.' Does that mean that the feature not yet finished or later in the process I will be able to select it?

Now I understand what you mean!! You will have the opportunity to select the components from each mod later but it probably wont work. I havent been able to get it to even show the components. So I guess the answer to your question is that its probably still work in progress.

Edited by ronin, 17 April 2009 - 05:59 AM.