Photo

Comments for... the FAQ for the Megamods.

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#161 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

1. Which topics are still valid? most of the tutorials are a half a decade old, and I'm wondering which I should be using as a good source of information.
2. I'm seeing that BWS is still being updated, but from other people, I've heard that it doesn't work anymore. Could someone please clarify?
3. This is more of an opinionated question, but I always downloaded a full BWP (not the massive risky ones). However, to make sure that I don't get so many bugs, could someone tell me which mods are really top of the rank, if it's not too much trouble? (NPC's, megamods, etc.) I'd rather not walk around the world having 5000 NPC's talking to me asking if I want them in my party. (I'd also have something that resembles the lore, so no talking banana's :P ).

1. Well, as if there was such a thing as unvalid topic... of course of the pinned topics, if you use the BWS, only the first two topics are worth a read.
2. Well, the latest BWS works properly. Now if you set up a game that has the +300 mods, you are going to have unintended behavior like the unfixed Rogue Rebalanced with SCS that makes Sarevok invulnerable... you'll just have to wait for the mod to get a update fix. But if you want to play today... you might have to risk some of those.
3. Well install the ToBEx, BG2 Fixpack, the BGT and a few other mods, but more you install the more you endanger the setup to have a bug, the BWP Fixpack has thousand individual fixes, but they might miss one as said above... As the three mods are the only clean install you can go by default and it has nothing to do with the BWS ...

Edited by The Imp, 04 June 2013 - 08:38 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#162 Huzzahfortimelines

Huzzahfortimelines
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow, I'm surprised by the quick response! Thanks everyone, this advice really helped a lot. 

#163 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

@Jarno
It's atweaks, not Rogue Rebalancing. Moreover, it's only one component PnP Dimesion Door.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#164 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

@Jarno
It's atweaks, not Rogue Rebalancing. Moreover, it's only one component PnP Dimesion Door.

Goes to check his link... yep. Sorry.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#165 Huzzahfortimelines

Huzzahfortimelines
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Hi again! I seem to be running into a problem in the setup. I'm doing a Total Happiness Plus install, with Ascension, and Turnabout, however, for some reason BP ascension (15) V180 is marked in red, and any mod that seems to be related to it (Kelsey's dialogue file, Turnabout) is also this way. I tried installing it, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help?

Also, is it possible to add mods after the BWS install?

Edited by Huzzahfortimelines, 08 June 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#166 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hi again! I seem to be running into a problem in the setup. I'm doing a Total Happiness Plus install, with Ascension, and Turnabout, however, for some reason BP ascension (15) V180 is marked in red, and any mod that seems to be related to it (Kelsey's dialogue file, Turnabout) is also this way. I tried installing it, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help?

Well, the BP might have gotten the red marker as the mod was updated and the new beta is available and the BWP needs updates to account it's compatibility and it's assets.

Also, is it possible to add mods after the BWS install?

Yes, but you need to make sure that you really wish to make those changes and that they won't screw up your install... also know that as the BWS install the Generalized Biffing... well you should just install that after you install your mods. etc there's tons of things you need to take into account.

So it's better to ask "Can I install this mod(and give a link)... ?!?"

#167 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

If you search for something, it gets marked in red.
I didn't update anything but changed the download so it fetches 180c, so if you let the BWS update at the beginning, it won't fetch the new version and everything would be old with old problems instead of new and likely messed up.

I've also no plans of updating the configuration because I don't want to (no interest at all and dislike crawling through tp2, readmes and so on).

Edited by dabus, 08 June 2013 - 04:50 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#168 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Can someone (Jarno Mikkola or one of the moderators) update BWS links?

Erhm, yes, I am Jarno Mikkola... I can't cause for one, the thread is locked, and a second is that the I have no access to the past profile of mine, and the Email account was discontinued years ago. :twisted:

I could re-make the whole thread and clean it up a lots, but that's a project for another day...  will see which day.

One of the Admins could do this also.

#169 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

Got a question to ask.
What happens if I forget, before installing the megamod, to make a savegame on a vanilla game?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#170 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

What happens if I forget, before installing the megamod, to make a savegame on a vanilla game?
Nothing too radical... I said to make it cause, doing so will also ensure that the player has the chance to ensure that the game actually functions and he doesn't go from installing the game to installing mods skipping steps like configuring the game for the first time which can make it impossible to actually install any mods. :devil:

#171 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well, good to know xD. I skip that passage 60% of the times I install the megamod. Thank you <3

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#172 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

Well, good to know xD. I skip that passage 60% of the times I install the megamod. Thank you <3
Well, that might be the 100% of the times when you restore the BWP backup, which then makes it 100% unnecessary if you configured the game in the first place(before the backup was made), or you use a non original BG2 SoA install, as several of the ToB's installs insist on including the baldur.ini in the install which was not the original behavior.

But back to the original point of this post, a small announcement: :devil: all in capitals with huge letter size... darn, I can't use the caps or the original message get's tricky to understand.. darrr. :devil:

The Jarno Mikkola profile (mine) has not been operational for a long time, and all the PM's it has received won't ever be answered as I have no access to them, instead you need to PM this profile.

Edited by The Imp, 13 September 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#173 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

Imp, thius guide is important. Why you don't ask admins/mods for password reset? I believe that there is a way to merge accounts too.

Yeah, well the last time I asked for the account from our admins... well it lead to no where. People being busy and all that.
And the guide... well I was thinking of remaking the whole thing... but that would be in the future with a few things removed and info's updated. If you notice the guide is a locked thread, cause I asked for it for several reasons. But even with the combined profiles, I couldn't edit the guide.

#174 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

4. Don't mess with the game configurations so the speed adjustment percentages stay on "normal" ratings even if you have very high end machine, as the game has own it's internal fps counter, it sometimes tries to correct the fps on it's own by lowering graphs etc. Also the games frame rate should be set to about 30, as that's the default.

So, is this mean that is better to left Automated speed adjustment checked in ToB configuration? It is On by default but I turned it off and left locked Frame rate options as they are.

Edited by Greenhorn, 31 December 2015 - 03:14 AM.

#175 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

So, is this mean that is better to left Automated speed adjustment checked in ToB configuration?
Yes.

Well, in my mind it's better to not tamper with the options and expect that that will still be magically OK.
That section of the guide is about avoiding the lag producing things, and speeding the game up is likelier to produce that stuff, also the percentages are used to stabilize the refresh rate(with the Automated speed adjustment), and disabling that will make the game insist of running routines that might produce lag, like for example checking and destroying items that your party has had in the past, but are yet to be destroyed case you already dropped the items to the ground, by a script, that will never be able to complete because of bad coding. It will also insist on displaying a statistic animation on a corner of the map you can't see while you fight either 10 or 10000 enemies on the other corner. Exaggeration a bit, but you should get the point. There are sound resources in the BG1 areas in BGT-weidu that are refereed, but the game not containing them, produces lag if you don't disable the environmental audio in the times of stressed performance, aka see the point 2.

#176 Greenhorn

Greenhorn
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

Thanks Imp, I'll correct it ASAP. Great guide by the way, but few links are dead. Between reading it, BWP guide and checking and setting various options in BWS I feel confident that I'll be ready to play BWP sometime early in 2017...  :)

#177 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, I have meant to update the guide a few times, but as I would need to start the whole thing again... it's a humongous ordeal and the update wouldn't do that much of a difference to it anyways.

#178 -raggidman-

-raggidman-

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

at risk of necromancy - but I just got my SoA/ToB copy recently

This is impressive work

What I was looking for when I found this forum and thread is a way to prevent the NPC is Busy bug!

To me this is the worst thing about the game (now that I have found a way to run it smoothly by simply changing the resolution and bunging it into a window :D )

The fix for this has to be very simple - and nowhere can I find it written

But right now I find that I can reload 50 times and certain NPCs will still be 'busy' staring at thin air

Enough is enough

Has anyone ever taken a look at the code?

What is causing this?  Can 'busyness' simply be removed as an option from a folder?

Please respond before I take a chainsaw to the game (and my sad laptop) - ty

#179 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

at risk of necromancy - but I just got my SoA/ToB copy recently

This is impressive work

What I was looking for when I found this forum and thread is a way to prevent the NPC is Busy bug!

To me this is the worst thing about the game (now that I have found a way to run it smoothly by simply changing the resolution and bunging it into a window :D )

The fix for this has to be very simple - and nowhere can I find it written

But right now I find that I can reload 50 times and certain NPCs will still be 'busy' staring at thin air

Enough is enough

Has anyone ever taken a look at the code?

What is causing this?  Can 'busyness' simply be removed as an option from a folder?

Please respond before I take a chainsaw to the game (and my sad laptop) - ty

What you describe is not a general feature/bug/behaviour of the game with a specific solution but an issue that has an individual reason any time it appears. In general, it happens when a script tries to execute a certain action but that action (ofter starting a dialogue) cannot be finished - for whatever reason.

So as a minimum information for help you need to describe which NPC shows the behaviour, what is the situation when it happens and what mods/game etc you have installed (and which installation errors you received)  The information can be found in a text file called Weidu.log.in your game folder.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#180 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

If you are interested I may now have an in-game fix for the 'bug' I mentioned

Posts on various forums suggest that the higher the level of your character the more frequent NPCs get 'busy'

So what if removing high-level equipment might help?

reasoning it might have something to do with the game balance mechanics - at least in part

At the Svirthneblin Enclave in the Underdark I arrived at the impossible situation i described in my previous post

The settlement leader would not respond to my character until after one reload I removed that tasty Celestial Fury my fighter/mage/thief is proficient with and replaced it with the dragon-killing halberd that he am not

Having killed the sad demon easily I returned with my all-bashing katana re-equipped ... and the numpty gnome was 'busy' again!!!

This time re-equipping the Halberd did not work - many,  many reloads later

I decided to remove the equipment that was giving me my low armor class and immediate the gnome (who is very lucky to be alive) responded.

Would be interested to know if this is as I have speculated and not co-incidence - ty