Ultimate Planescape: Torment installation guide

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#41 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hrrmmm. That sounds like something being caused by the WeiDU installer's process for updating all mods to the most recent version of WeiDU.

I've got a feeling I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too. Anyone know offhand if there is a thread out there addressing this issue that can helpfully link to it? If so, please do and thanks kindly.

Qwinn

#42 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I have a 2CD version...

#43 Jozze

Jozze
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hello, recently I bought a myself a new computer and I followed the procedure on your blog (Alphabetti Spaghetti). But whenever I start the game, there are little glitches in the movies, in the make-new-character-options and finally, when start playing the game, everything seems to be working fine (at the very start) but when I start choosing dialog options game becomes like a slideshow. And when the Nameless one starts mooving around too. I disabled CrossfireX and the game seems to be working better, but it's still quite unplayable. What would be the cause of this? I have two ATI Radeons HD4890 and Intel i7 CPU. ould there be a problem with my drivers, or problem with mods?

#44 Displacer

Displacer
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

Try disabling hardware acceleration, this fixed all graphical glitches for me.
Decimal is for the weak

#45 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Thanks to all the feedback in this thread I've updated the guide a bit to try and make some issues a bit clearer -- I'm very surprised that the 1.1 Patch allows itself to be installed on the 2CD version(!). I've put the message in red to try and help stop people installing it. Thanks for spotting the typo, too, Critto!

Hopefully we can get the guide up to a point where it's totally foolproof and addresses everyone's issues.

#46 Tyr Vedra

Tyr Vedra
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Nice work on the install guide - very professional! :)

I'm liking it except for one thing - why do you tell people not to install Scale of Souls? That is one of the most useful tweaks ever in my opinion, and I do not consider it a "cheat" because you still have no way of knowing which moral direction a dialog path may end up - this merely tells you after the fact. (Actually, one of the things that annoyed me most in my first play back in 1999, was that I wanted to role-play a specific alignment, and not having any clue where I was in getting there, it was very frustrating)

#47 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

Nice work on the install guide - very professional! :)

I'm liking it except for one thing - why do you tell people not to install Scale of Souls? That is one of the most useful tweaks ever in my opinion, and I do not consider it a "cheat" because you still have no way of knowing which moral direction a dialog path may end up - this merely tells you after the fact. (Actually, one of the things that annoyed me most in my first play back in 1999, was that I wanted to role-play a specific alignment, and not having any clue where I was in getting there, it was very frustrating)

It was based on Qwinn's recommendation and the fact that Planescape: Torment wasn't really designed to be played like that... I guess if you were playing it now and you were annoyed, you'd probably discover the Scale of Souls? Maybe I'll add a note about it so people can know what it does... Those that want it will be able to. I have to say, though: If you were looking to RP a specific alignment, you'd have to save and reload every decision... which kind of would be cheating :)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 25 August 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#48 -nameless two-

-nameless two-

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

there is a minor typo in the website http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html where you mispelled "torment.ini" to "toment.in"

#49 -nameless two-

-nameless two-

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

I've found another typo.
search for this, and correct it as u please: are installed the in the same way

#50 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:47 AM

I have a problem. I've followed the instructions and got to the step 4. When I try to install Ultimate Fixpack, a fatal error is reported. When I extract archive and run Setup-PST-Fix.exe, it automatically starts running. I don't get the option to choose language (enter language number) nor to view readme file or shoose what to install. It simply starts working, writing something like Auto-Updating on behalf of [Setup-PST-Fix.exe]:... and it lasts for 20 mins or so, and then it says:
[Setup-PST-Fix.exe] Using scripting style "PST"
ERROR: Problem parsing TP file [Setup-PST-Fix.TP2]: Sys_error("Setup-PST-Fix.TP2: Too many open files")

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error("Setup-PST-Fix.TP2: Too many open files")

Press ENTER to exit

I've downloaded the archive again, extracted it, but nothing has changed.

Please help!

Hrrmmm. That sounds like something being caused by the WeiDU installer's process for updating all mods to the most recent version of WeiDU.

I've got a feeling I've seen this mentioned elsewhere too. Anyone know offhand if there is a thread out there addressing this issue that can helpfully link to it? If so, please do and thanks kindly.

Qwinn

IIRC that is an error that can occur when you're trying to install mods that use older versions of weidu with new ones.

Ah, here is the thread : http://forums.gibber...s...;show=&st=0

I don't know if it's because of different versions. I'm using v21000 in my UI and you're using v20900 for your mods. Most people seem to install the mods without problems , so maybe it's something else.

To the poster that had the "too many open files" error:
You could check if the weidu version is the problem. All you have to do is copy Setup-PST-Fix.exe to desktop, rename it to Setup-GhostDog's-PST-UI.exe and copy it back into the Torment folder and replace the original file. Doing that you'll have all mods using the same version.

#51 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

Thanks a lot, to all of you! :))) At first, your tip didn't work, because i had already installed widescreen mod, and it uses v21000, as I could see. So I took Setup-GhostDog's-PST-UI.exe, renamed it to Setup-PST-Fix.exe (did same for the others as well), and it worked great!

Thanks once again!

#52 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:30 AM

Thanks a lot, to all of you! :))) At first, your tip didn't work, because i had already installed widescreen mod, and it uses v21000, as I could see. So I took Setup-GhostDog's-PST-UI.exe, renamed it to Setup-PST-Fix.exe (did same for the others as well), and it worked great!

Thanks once again!

I'm glad it worked. So it seems that for some unknown reason a few people have problems with different versions of weidu. I think Qwinn and me will have to update to the same version.

#53 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hm, why does it say that I need the full install (step 2, improving loading times etc) before installing Widescreen? I installed Widescreen without doing that and it works fine and dandy.
*coughQwinncoughLotharcoughskullscough*

#54 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'm not sure what you've done exactly, but the widescreen mod definitely needs a full install. It's clearly stated in the readme.

#55 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Ah, I figured out the big mystery. The installer needs to be able to access all the CDs at once. Which it was able to do in my case because I had long gotten rid of the physical CDs in favor of CD images (because those don't scratch or get misplaced) and I would normally just mount all 4 at the same time, which is why it worked for me.

Anyway. Could I indulge your attention one moment longer and ask what these things are supposed to do exactly?

CacheSize=1
Path Search Nodes=32000
Maximum Frame Rate=40

I don't understand, I thought things in computers generally worked faster when a relevant cache was bigger, not smaller...

Edited by Markus Ramikin, 22 October 2009 - 09:08 AM.

#56 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hello All

I have a relatively simple question.

Within Planescape the version number of the game is displayed in the save game screen.

I have updated using the official patch and the version number has updated from 1.0 to 1.1.

I have then installed the various other patches and rechecked the version number - it remains at 1.1.

Do the unofficial patches amend the version number within the game?
If so, what version number should be displayed once they are installed?

Thanks for your help.

#57 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

No, the unofficial patches don't change the version number in-game. If you're unsure whether or not you've actually installed the patches, run the exe again and it if you see the "re-install" and "un-install" options it means it's installed.

#58 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

No, the unofficial patches don't change the version number in-game. If you're unsure whether or not you've actually installed the patches, run the exe again and it if you see the "re-install" and "un-install" options it means it's installed.

Thanks very much for the response Ghostdog.

I can now start my first ever game of Torment in the knowledge that the patches have been installed.

Steven

#59 Asceran

Asceran
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

Ah, I figured out the big mystery. The installer needs to be able to access all the CDs at once. Which it was able to do in my case because I had long gotten rid of the physical CDs in favor of CD images (because those don't scratch or get misplaced) and I would normally just mount all 4 at the same time, which is why it worked for me.

Anyway. Could I indulge your attention one moment longer and ask what these things are supposed to do exactly?

CacheSize=1
Path Search Nodes=32000
Maximum Frame Rate=40

I don't understand, I thought things in computers generally worked faster when a relevant cache was bigger, not smaller...

That because the files which be copied into the cache are already stored on your HDD if you did a full install.

As for maximum framerate=40 I do not like this tweak. I think it's sucky because the idle animations will be WAY to fast. Sure, your character moves faster, but the game looks like as if played on speed.

#60 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

Ah, it's a hard drive cache? Yeah leaving that after a full install would just double the work. Thanks, that clears it for me.

I kind of like the 40 rate, sure some things look a little out of whack but I find it an acceptable tradeoff for my character's getting to places faster. This game is way too old for me to care about what the graphics and animations look like any more ;) by now I just appreciate the writing. And what little there is of voice acting.

Edited by Markus Ramikin, 27 October 2009 - 04:48 AM.