DA: Companions

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

Any thoughts on what companions you're going to take along most of the time? I figured I'd take Morrigan, Oghren and Shale as my primary NPCs (dwarf & dwarf war golem - I sense a quest). I'd also like the Mabari War Dog, so I'll have to decide between Shale and him.

Confirmed Companions:

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 March 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

Alistair, Morrigan and... either the Mabari War Dog or Leliana.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

Alistair & Zevran for certain, if only to see if there's a little competition going on (since they're the two female romance options). Sten & the War Dog seem like good options too... But looks like I'm going to need a healer, so... maybe Wynne as a third?

We have a limit of three companions, right?

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#4 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

It will depend on who I attract to travel with me at all, since not all characters you can recruit will be willing to travel with you (as I understand it). And also on what character type I play.

The ones that look like they'll be amusing though are Alistair, Morrigan, and maybe Oghren. Which since my first character is likely to be an elf rogue should make a reasonably balanced party too. Although if I decide to use my human noble warrior then I'll probably drop Oghren in favour of Leliana, who's the other romance option and seems likely to have some 'interesting' interactions with Morrigan.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

We have a limit of three companions, right?

Yep, charname + three.

It will depend on who I attract to travel with me at all, since not all characters you can recruit will be willing to travel with you (as I understand it). And also on what character type I play.

You can most likely get them to join you initially (unless you don't want to), but they'll either stay, leave or fight you depending on what you do after they join you. Good thing dwarven war golems don't ask a lot questions.

The ones that look like they'll be amusing though are Alistair, Morrigan, and maybe Oghren. Which since my first character is likely to be an elf rogue should make a reasonably balanced party too. Although if I decide to use my human noble warrior then I'll probably drop Oghren in favour of Leliana, who's the other romance option and seems likely to have some 'interesting' interactions with Morrigan.

If the game is as challenging as BioWare has promised, party balance would be good, yes. ;)

I see my preliminary party like this: charname (primary magic dmg), Morrigan (secondary magic dmg, primary healing), Oghren (primary melee dmg) & Shale (tank, secondary melee dmg).

#6 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

For my first time round, with a male human mage - Alistair & Zevran (for Romance), plus Morrigan or Wynne.

As I understand it, everyone can travel with you in the camp, but when you leave the camp you've got to pick three to go with you - kinda like the Ebon Hawk, or Jade Empire's 'we'll just wait on the floor for you to come back."

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

As I understand it, everyone can travel with you in the camp, but when you leave the camp you've got to pick three to go with you - kinda like the Ebon Hawk, or Jade Empire's 'we'll just wait on the floor for you to come back."

Yep, that's right. It's a bit more interactive there though - for example: you leave Oghren at the camp, go out and kill one his relatives and when you come back, he'll be waiting to attack you. I pulled that example out of my hat, but that's the principle.

#8 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

I do wonder though... As far as I've pieced it together it works much like mass effect; so you can have all of the NPCs traveling with you, but you can only take 3 with you on misions...
So I wonder how much dialogue you'll miss with the characters you don't take on missions, or have i misunderstood it altogether... @_@

As for what I'll pick for the active bunch first, um, dunno, prolly Morrigan at least, since they say you meet her quite early on in the game...
Er, well, maybe more relevantly, the 3 most interesting NPCs, I'd say... Alistair, Leliana, and, hum, the Mabari Doggie. Alistair for the comic relief, Leliana because I can't decide on an seemingly accurate NPC for comparison in BG, and the Dog cause he's something totally different.

As for the others...
Sten - Raise your hand if you see a ponderous trust-building friendship on the way? One that'll climax with him revealing his real name? xP
Shale - No idea what he's about, could be interesting I suppose.
Wynne - Looks like my grandma. o_o
Zevran - I hear the character's borrowing bits from Spike (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), so he could be amusing. Well, prolly is since it's BIOWARE... But eh, not a first pick.
Oghren - Dwarves are always a bit stereotyped... He could be a fun one though.
Morrigan - Seems like a less angsty mopey Viconia.

#9 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

For my first character, a dwarf noble rogue, I'm thinking Oghren, Wynne, and Shale. Probably no romance-neither comes from a background he'd consider acceptable, and worse, they're both human.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#10 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

First character, female human noble rogue will take Alistair (romance), Wynne, and Cookie (my hound :D although Muffins is a close second for a name...).

Second character, female dalish elf warrior will take Zevran (romance), Morrigan, and Sten.

After those two runs, it all dissolves into chaos.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#11 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

Being usually a darksider when it comes to RPGs, I obviously am going to take Sten and Morrigan. As for the 4th, well Leliana/Alistair/Zevran. Others don't interest me, though Nomad's review, published few hours ago, did mention that Shale is sort of HK-47 reborn. But I doubt I'll live long enough to play DA thrice.

Edited by GeN1e, 26 October 2009 - 04:11 PM.

Retired from modding.

#12 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hmmm all of the companions seem pretty decent...but I think for sure ill grab Alistair and Morrigan

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

Yeah, Shale is something you can mold into your own image, so to speak. You can either help him/it to develop a real personality - or alternatively turn Shale into a mindless killing machine. The HK-47 reference is a good one, although Shale offers more choices regarding his development. I wonder if you can make Shale say "meatbag"... I smell an easter egg. ;)

#14 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

Sten - Raise your hand if you see a ponderous trust-building friendship on the way? One that'll climax with him revealing his real name? xP

*raises hand*

I wonder if you can make Shale say "meatbag"... I smell an easter egg. ;)

That would be so many different kinds of awesome!... Not to mention completely hilarious! ^_^

I'm having second thoughts about the War Dog, because one of my favorite things in this kind of RPG is the banters, and I'm not sure Doggie is equipped for that (aside from a few yip's, yap's, and arf's...).

I really don't mind the Jade Empire/Mass Effect system in which you get to have a main camp and drag your followers along, even though you won't always have them by your side. It allows for more interactions (I hope), and it seems more realistic (you head off to war with only 3 buddies beside you, really? I'd bring a whole armada... ;) ).

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

Well, according to what I've read, the dog has as much banter as the rest of the NPCs.

Dog is your faithful companion throughout the game. You will be able to change the name and kaddis of Dog if you so choose. He understands spoken words well enough to parse simple commands and basic intention. Dog is a full party member and levels up. He has warhound-specific abilities that he can learn, and character specific equipment. He also has party banter and interjections, as well as his own triggered events; such as a territory-marking exploration game. The details of this mini-game have not been clarified.

Dog is voiced by a real dog.

Dialogue

Sten: "You are a true warrior, and worthy of respect."
Dog: Barks excitedly.

Morrigan: "I know it was you rooting in my pack, mongrel."
Dog: Innocent whine
Morrigan: "Who else? Alistair? He's a likely suspect, I admit, but no."
Dog: Bows head shamefully
Morrigan: "I notice you avoided the hemlock."
Dog: Happy bark!
Morrigan: "Yes, yes, very clever. Next time I will disguise it more carefully."
Dog: Sad eyes
Morrigan: "Do not even try it! I would not give you a biscuit had I one."
Dog: Sadder eyes
Morrigan: "Oh... very well. But tell no one!"

#16 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

Like I said: a string of yip's, yap's and arf's! ;) The Dog sounds fun, but that's a far cry from a fully developed companion with a multitude of voiced reactions, banters, etc. That won't keep me from giving him a try at least once, though. Especially if he's anything like Aimo's Wonder Dog. ^_^

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

Maybe not quite that... :lol:

Usually NPCs like dogs get some extra combat prowess though... I recall having the dog in Arcanum, and he was the fastest killer in my party when he gained melee mastery (he was the only NPC allowed to gain mastery in anything automatically). Basically it felt like cheating... ;)

#18 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:10 AM

Did I read somewhere that there's an NPC/NPC romance possible, or did I dream that?

#19 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

Daisy, my war dog, is one of my favorite NPCs thus far. I love the banters with Daisy (and there *are* banters with Daisy), because I remember my own dogs having done that. Yes, I realize I anthropomorphized them too much, but I swear, sometimes, that's what if felt like. Now, I can't have dogs anymore, but it's the next best thing.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#20 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

I've named mine Cerberus, not particularly original, I guess, but it befits a war dog. I'm loving the banters with the dog, they're loads of fun, and I adore sending out my dog to find little trinkets in the corners. I'm not even a dog person, but the Mabari War Dog is a worthy companion, and I love him!! ^_^ (and I love how he annoys certain NPCs)

Edited by Eleima, 08 November 2009 - 08:28 AM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif