• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#61 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Mmm. Some valid points in there, yeah.

But I'll just have to argue against the final point of all aliens behaving too human like.

It's simply sensible; for the development of spaceflight-level technology you need either an organized society where information is passed from one generation to the next, or you need a species with long enough lifespans for each individual to make a difference (Ok, the asari have that, but eh).

Besides. Making something so alien that it would be incomprehensible would just be a headache. xP

Well, ok, Bioware could have modeled some aliens after the Japanese, but eh, there's limits to how weird you can get in a game without breaking the suspension of disbelief...

Edited by WeeRLegion, 20 February 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#62 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

Today's News:
Mass Effect 2 Deconstructed: Part One @ Critical Gamer

Pretty good article so far. He makes some good points, as do the comments beneath the article. More importantly, he draws attention to, and comments on, some of Mass Effect 2's short comings without being a complete douche bag about it. I?m looking forward to the next instalment.

How's your play through going, Archmage? Been able to finish yet whilst being distracted by the Winter Olympics?

I've mostly been distracted by following the Games, but I've got next week off (winter break), so I think I can make some progress now.

Obviously I have to avoid reading these articles I post about though.

#63 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet... 2 days ago it was announced that patch 1.01 is coming out tomorrow at 1pm MST.

http://social.biowar...6/index/1318886

Qwinn

#64 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the tip, that had escaped my notice.

#65 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Patch thread is up and running.

#66 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

1Up - 'ME2 is like an Apple Mac'

#67 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Sweet... the Morality Guide for ME2 is up now.

http://masseffect.wi..._Morality_Guide

Qwinn

#68 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Oh, god, no... xD

#69 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:46 AM

Sweet... the Morality Guide for ME2 is up now.
http://masseffect.wi..._Morality_Guide
Qwinn

Awesome!!! Thank you for that! Some of the points awarded to my Shepard were sometimes confusing. On my first playthrough, my very Paragon FemShep got some Renegade points, and now, during my second playthrough, I'm getting Paragon points with my very Renegade MaleShep! :huh: Of course, I still manage to steer him/her on the path I want him/her to tread, but... :) I'm always curious (I like taking things apart to see the inner workings).
Thanks again, Qwinn!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#70 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

I'm always curious (I like taking things apart to see the inner workings).

How very strange! I have not even the slightest inkling of what that must be like! *cough*

Thanks again, Qwinn!

You're welcome :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 February 2010 - 07:31 AM.

#71 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

Isn't the point supposed to be to roleplay it, and get your points accordingly, as opposed to hunting points as a measure of roleplaying success? o_o

#72 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

Isn't the point supposed to be to roleplay it, and get your points accordingly, as opposed to hunting points as a measure of roleplaying success? o_o

Absolutely! That's why you get confused when you think you picked the renegade option but ended up with paragon points, or vice versa. :)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#73 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Absolutely! That's why you get confused when you think you picked the renegade option but ended up with paragon points, or vice versa. :)

And I think that the fact that you can pick what seems the Paragon path but end with Renegade points and vice versa, even - or especially - when you don't intend it, is a beautiful little quirk of the game. Not all choices and actions have the consequences you'd expect, and morality can be very grey.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#74 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

Precisely my point!

Roleplaying it would to me entail picking whatever option that seemed appropriate for your character at the moment.
Not thinking 'Ok, ima gonna paly a super renegade char this time round, always gonna pick the most renegade options available! (hint: it's either the bottom or the red option. .p).

The good thing with ME2 morality system is precisely that adding to one side doesn't decrease from the other, you don't technically have to be a bleach-white paragon or a red-handed-renegade.
Spoiler

Edited by WeeRLegion, 25 February 2010 - 09:45 AM.

#75 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

I'm testing that right now... my first run through I played casually and wound up more than maxed out on paragon while somewhere around 75% renegade. That was *not* enough renegade to take some intimidate options that I really would've liked to:

Spoiler

So this time I'm using that guide and taking the available renegade options when they're in-character for my Engineer Shep. I did pretty much the same sort of thing in ME1, which was nice because I wound up getting 190 paragon *and* 190 renegade points going into ME2.

Qwinn

#76 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Alternative solution: edit the coalesced file or use Gibbed's editor to max out both paragon and renegade points from the beginning, and simply take dialogue options and interrupts as you feel appropriate.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#77 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

More DLC announced, specifically the Firewalker pack adding five missions with the Hammerhead, which now looks more like a heavy gunship than a hovertank. Free for Cerberus Network.

#78 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Is it me or is that geth big or is the vehicle small? :P

#79 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

Uh. That's an armature or a colossus, they're always tank sized. o_o

@Tempest
Is there a guide or anything for tampering with the starting paragon/renegade points?
I tried looking about the coalesced file but best I could find was the maximum for the ME1 imported-character bonus. O-o

#80 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

I use Gibbed's editor, myself. It's what allows you to add Legion near the beginning of the game and edit your ME1 flags (so you can customize what ME1 plot elements to import), among other things. 1100 seems to be at or near the cap for P/R values.