DA: Origins & Awakening News

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#41 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

For myself, I would view this as unlikely simply because you get the option to pop Flemeth off, which I did on moral grounds. Good practice for hunting -er- similar creatures later in the game.

-Y-

I'm with Yovaneth on this one. ;)

Edited by Archmage Silver, 30 January 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#42 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

Well, here goes... the very first official update (video & screenshots) for the Awakening:

The Queen of the Black Marsh (Spectral Dragon)

And that is Oghren at 0:11.

On a side note, here's an exclusive interview with Ray Muzyka (part 1), it has some interesting stuff on downloadable content.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 01 February 2010 - 02:49 PM.

#43 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

Oghren? Oh, how disappointing! I understand they didn't have the budget to include all romance interests into the Awakening, but this! They will rob us of Alistair and Dog, but they will force Oghren on us?

And I even felt guilty after dumping him immediately after the Anvil of the Void quest! Well, I won't be anymore.

But thank you for the links! I really loved how RM answered about spells and mages: "I had three mages in my party..." It's really endearing to see the developers and big bosses actually playing and enjoying the game! Very nice indeed.

And "We do have some standalone games currently in development for the Dragon Age universe" - that's interesting, isn't it? (I do wish it wasn't about Orlais, though: that Leliana-like French accent IS annoying).

#44 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

And, I saw a link to an Anders trailer at IGN: http://pc.ign.com/ar.../1065425p1.html (probably the same trailer, but it also had a small article)

I didn't watch the video, but the article author's remark about the new NPC made me cranky: "In truth, all he wants is freedom--well, freedom, a good meal, and a pretty girl on his arm." Sigh. I mean, I so want a real romance, but it *all* seems to revolve around sex. Zevran is all about sex, this new Anders NPC seems to be all about girls, and even a supposedly pure and chaste Alistair bumps you a -15 to approval if you refuse to sleep with him in camp(when he hasn't even told you that he loved you, let alone commitment and marriage). Siiiiigh. Sigh. What gives?

#45 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

No problem, always glad to spread the news. :)

I agree on Oghren though, he didn't exactly stand out as a deep, interesting character... I admit, there's a place for comic relief, but they took it too far with Oghren in my opinion.

They should try creating a dwarf companion along the lines of Gotrek from the Gotrek and Felix books for a change. Not all dwarves need to have comic relief quality or cababality to be interesting characters. I think it's more of the opposite really.

On Alistair, you should ask that question from David Gaider who "...is responsible for writing Zevran, Alistair, Cailan, Morrigan, Shale, and a large part of Duncan."

Also, I hope you'll have the option to either kill or turn in Anders... my Circle Mage won't have a companion like that in the party. Also, that simian means competition for me, and I can't have that... what? What do you mean I'm thinking out aloud? No, you are obviously imagining things. Now move along, sea monkeys.

#46 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

*giggles* If your Circle Mage is available as an NPC, my rogue would be happy to have him along. They can split the loot.
Ah, miss good old Edwin. Shale has some Xan features, though, which is nice.

Judging by this trailer, though, it seems most new NPCs are human(at least three). So an elven or a dwarven NPC would kind of stand out. In Origins, I could have a party of a Golem, a Dog, a Dwarf and an Elf; not so here, it seems.

#47 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

I agree on Oghren though, he didn't exactly stand out as a deep, interesting character... I admit, there's a place for comic relief, but they took it too far with Oghren in my opinion.

Talk to Oghren - really listen to him. Do his personal quest, and especially take him to the Urn of Sacred Ashes. I found Oghren one of the more interesting characters, much more so than, say, Morrigan or Alistair - Oghren just hides his character development for the most part. Looking forward to seeing what he's like in Awakening, especially if you took the good approach with him and he ended up a general in the Ferelden army and a happily married man and father.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#48 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

It seems like one would stand out, yes. I guess Oghren could be better now if BioWare skimped on the voice actors of the new companions... well, I hope not. As long as they don't sound like blocks of wood, if you get what I mean.

Talk to Oghren - really listen to him. Do his personal quest, and especially take him to the Urn of Sacred Ashes. I found Oghren one of the more interesting characters, much more so than, say, Morrigan or Alistair - Oghren just hides his character development for the most part. Looking forward to seeing what he's like in Awakening, especially if you took the good approach with him and he ended up a general in the Ferelden army and a happily married man and father.

Yeah, I did his personal quest and between that and the Post Coronation Ceremony, he had his best banters. I did Orzammar last though, after I had already finished everything else, so my experience of Oghren is limited that way.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 02 February 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#49 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

I do remember when I finish the game as my female dwarf commoner if you sacrifice yourself at the end and you do his personal quest and what not he will...All in all I thought he was a decent NPC to have...I just wish you did not have to complete the whole dwarf chain before he will talk to you...

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

Name his child after you since it will be a girl

Edited by Vicen, 02 February 2010 - 10:40 AM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#50 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

I quite like Oghren, and I think he has a lot of depth that many people don't see. I think there's something really quite touching about his story arc, and some great potential for even more character development in Awakening. I vastly prefer the prospect of him as a companion over any of the romance options, and certainly not because I dislike any of them. As well, I think he's one of those companions who everyone's a bit 'meh' about. A lot of the other characters seem to inspire feelings of manic love or hatred. With Oghren, the range of opinion rarely goes beyond 'he's funny' or 'he's mildly annoying'.

Either way, definitely psyched for the expansion.

#51 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

... definitely psyched for the expansion.

Now that I can agree with! I just pre-ordered the disc version yesterday.

#52 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

News:
Vigil's Keep ScreenShots
Exclusive RM Interview Part 2
Exclusive RM Interview Part 3

#53 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

Morrigan, a central figure in Awakening? That's news to me. When did that happen?

#54 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

In other news, Bioware opened an Awakening discussion forum at their social site: http://social.biowar...egory/127/index

#55 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

I don't know about Morrigan being in the expansion... Dr. Muzyka was vague at best.

#56 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

New Trailer:

THE CHILDREN

When the Blight pushed the darkspawn to the surface, human expeditions were able to venture deep underground for the first time in centuries, meeting very little resistance apart from stragglers. Then people started disappearing. Men would make camp and wake to find one of their number missing. Scouts left on missions, never to return. Search parties found no trace of the lost men, not even their bones. Some saw movements in the darkness, a shifting of shadows that torchlight would reveal as nothing. When a single warrior survived from one squad, he spoke of nothing comprehensible except grinning worm monsters that devoured his companions. The expeditions made haste back to the city.

Check out the new Children video over on Gametrailers.com here: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-the-dragon-age/61560

#57 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Another new Awakening companion, this time a woman. Ugh. A Dalish elf female mage Velanna, to be precise.

http://greywardens.c...ed-2/#more-3995

Damn. My favourite character is a Dalish elf female, I certainly don't need another female to steal my glory! I'd rather tear up her hair first. Ugh again. Then again, for male Dalish elves she makes perfect sense.

#58 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

Oh, great. That's exactly what we need. Another female mage. Because two was clearly not enough. Why, oh why can't they give us a Dalish elvish rogue? Or better yet, a female Dalish fighter. Yeah, Anders is a male mage, but this game is sticking to gender stereotypes a little too rigidly for my tastes.

But she sounds kind of bitter and vengeful, so I'll probalby give her a miss, one way or another.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#59 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Funny thing is, Anders uses Duncan's unique hair model, and Valena/Velanna/whatever uses Morrigan's. But both Duncan and Morrigan's models use black hair, and new chars are blondes, so it's not that obvious.

#60 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

So... she's also a stripper? Those robes are getting too ridiculous. And the voice actor doesn't fit the part at all in my opinion.

/no like