DA: Origins & Awakening News

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#61 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

That's the chasind/robe of the witch/lesser Tevinter-style robe. Looks great on a male character (it's the long robe with the cutaway chest - very sexeh!) but totally whorish on a female.

I'm not thrilled about having a militant druid Dalish elf female (Jaheira x 1000) but hopefully the other characters will make up for it.

Voice actor is apparently Grey DeLisle - aka Viconia. I guess she has her fans.

#62 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

That's the chasind/robe of the witch/lesser Tevinter-style robe. Looks great on a male character (it's the long robe with the cutaway chest - very sexeh!) but totally whorish on a female.

I'm not thrilled about having a militant druid Dalish elf female (Jaheira x 1000) but hopefully the other characters will make up for it.

Yeah, I've had those robes... I sold them off to a merchant after I saw what they looked like on my mage though. It's not my style to go around bare-chested, I'm not Conan the Barbarian, you know!

Grey DeLisle then? Hm. Nope, not a match for this part in my opinion. Although I don't really like the prospect of having to stick around some human hating Dalish elf anyway.

This expansion is starting to look bad for me when it comes to companions, I was already planning on handing over Anders to the Circle of Magi (or just shanking him in the back with a dagger, whichever seems more appropriate at the time). Now I'm not liking this SECOND mage either.

#63 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Well, at the very least I'll have six well-sounding corpses.

Seriously, though, the woman who wrote Wynne, Leliana and some Oghren will be in Awakening, which means that, yes, some NPCs will probably suck. But David Gaider's going to be there, too, and his NPCs didn't suck - three out of four in Origins, anyway. So let's hope there's hope. :)

#64 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

And no more mages! Those blasted simians are stealing my thunder...

#65 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

(snicker)

I think there won't be any more mages. There'll be Oghren, there should be at least one rogue(right?) and two more fighters. Otherwise that'd just be silly. Like what, Apostates on March? Or Apostates in March? Nah.

Edited by Kulyok, 12 February 2010 - 10:26 PM.

#66 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:11 AM

I really like Grey DeLisle - she's shown incredible versatility as a voice actor.

However, so far, I'm not impressed with this new character. Maybe it was the lack-luster trailer video, but there's nothing there to make me warm to the character. Hopefully, in the game, she'll win us all over.

And call me picky, but I really hope there's two rogues and one warrior left to reveal. I don't like having only a single character to fill a role in the party - if you don't like them, you're basically screwed. I'm not holding out much hope, though.

#67 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

Well Anders cerainly is not a healer... I NEED MORE DECENT HEALERS!!! My main complaints so far in DAO is that I AM SO STUCK WITH WYNNE even tho I HATE HER because I NEED A ****ING HEALER =.= If that dalish mage is a healer JUST PLEASE DONT LET HER BE SHIT! =.= (sorry about caps.. just soooo disappointed by new NPCs so far).

#68 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

I don't hate Anders yet - I'll give him a chance. I have a feeling he's probably going to be a romance option. I hope there is at least enough selection of characters that you can leave the ones you don't like at camp.

#69 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

Agreed about Anders - one of the guys at Bioware said there's an Alistair-like character who's really not like Alistair at all, so I think I'll take him in.

And, yes, I, too, hope to have at least good three party members - I'm usually playing rogue who's versatible enough, so I'll be choosing my party members based on personality. On the other hand, it's already minus Oghren and most probably minus this new girl, so only four are left.

As for Grey DeLisle - I wonder. I mean, she did a great job with Viconia, but that was how many, ten years ago? It doesn't feel right when a young woman is voiced by a much older one. Take Snape and Alan Rickman(great actor, but how old is he? Seventy?). Or take Avernus from Warden's Keep - a superb voice actor, but even in the scenes with "young" Avernus, you can feel his age. With a party member, it'll be even stronger.

#70 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

As for Grey DeLisle - I wonder. I mean, she did a great job with Viconia, but that was how many, ten years ago? It doesn't feel right when a young woman is voiced by a much older one. Take Snape and Alan Rickman(great actor, but how old is he? Seventy?). Or take Avernus from Warden's Keep - a superb voice actor, but even in the scenes with "young" Avernus, you can feel his age. With a party member, it'll be even stronger.

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and assume you don't like older women voicing children, either? (Kate Soucie, Tara Strong, etc.)

I don't know, as long as it sounds right, I'm not too fussed, to be perfectly honest. And I'd never even thought about Snape. Alan Rickman's awesomeness tends to blind me a little.

princesspurpleblob, what's not to love about Wynne? Granted, it's annoying having to take her with you almost every time, but she's one of my favourite characters!

And as for Anders, I don't feel like I should dismiss him just yet. Looks like he's going to be a potential romance. I don't like the fact that he has Duncan's personalised hair, however. And he sounds a little too similar to Alistair - not only in terms of his wry sense of humour, but also his voice.

#71 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

I'm going to go out on a wild limb and assume you don't like older women voicing children, either? (Kate Soucie, Tara Strong, etc.)

I don't care much about it: there are no children-party members, and I don't care about some random replies. It's just like an old man voicing young Avernus: several lines are fine, every lovetalk - gonna hurt.

Anyway! New links:

http://dragonage.bio...ening/faq/#q1-9 - and, yeah, it's Oghren.
David Gaider on romances: http://social.biowar...ex/1180276&lf=8

#72 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

What bugs me, though, is "no DLC loot and no premium loot in Awakening".

Meaning no cool daggers, no swords, no robes/staffs, and no Warden Commander Armor! No Edge dagger, either. This hurts.

#73 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

Interesting. No new romances, then. I think I prefer that. An expansion pack doesn't last long enough for the romances to really have any depth to them.

Good also, I suppose, about the fact that people whose PCs chose the ultimate sacrifice can still play with their characters if they want to. I wouldn't dream of doing it - it would totally compromise the point of the story, and my character's decision - but at least all those people who want to can.

#74 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

Oghren is now officially the new cool. If the other companions are this crummy, Oghren is really going to redeem his previous behaviour. Unless they introduce someone really interesting, which I doubt.

I honestly think BioWare should have made this expansion new-character-only if they couldn't use enough dollars to hire the Origins voice actors. Cutting off romances because they weren't cost effective has got to be the worst reason for a break-up in any RPG I've ever played.

DeLisle is a good voice actor, no doubt about it, but in my opinion they built the wrong kind of character for her to play. I'd blame whoever was in charge writing and designing this elf mage.

2.5 – Will my items, armor, stats, etc transfer over if I import my character from Dragon Age: Origins?

Almost all items are imported with your character. The only exceptions are the Origins promotional items and DLC loot, which were meant for Origins alone.

Oookay... what about my Collector's Edition staff, Final Reason? My character is broken if I don't have it, losing it drops my fire damage to 135% of the base. Amulet of the War Mage isn't such a great loss, but again, another 5% lost in fire damage... bah. Nerf me, will you? I'll mod/console command them back in.

Nobody outsmarts the Archmage...

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#75 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

The official site for Awakening has been updated, basically collecting all the released material in one place.

#76 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

princesspurpleblob, what's not to love about Wynne? Granted, it's annoying having to take her with you almost every time, but she's one of my favourite characters!

Not in my opinion. SHE WAS ANNOYING AS HELL. She really should stop butting into my PC's affairs. I hate people giving unwanted advices. I have my mother who does that in real life and that is ENOUGH. She also reminds me of that stupid githzerai (sp?) healer in NWN2. I HATE WYNNE.

#77 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Not in my opinion. SHE WAS ANNOYING AS HELL. She really should stop butting into my PC's affairs. I hate people giving unwanted advices. I have my mother who does that in real life and that is ENOUGH. She also reminds me of that stupid githzerai (sp?) healer in NWN2. I HATE WYNNE.

Wynne's still better than some other characters, like Alistair or Morrigan. I happen to like Wynne butting into my PC's affairs and showing more genuine concern for my character and what they're doing than anyone else in the game.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#78 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

My only hope is that people will mod the DLC items back into Awakening. Otherwise it's _really_ annoying.

And, yes, neither Wynne nor Oghren are my favourites. I neither care for the characters nor admire the writing. Their ethos doesn't sit well with me, either, especially Wynne's. And the fact that you can't avoid recruiting Oghren(and the only way to avoid recruiting Wynne is killing her) is a very, very bad design decision.

I'm guessing Wynne will be in Awakening if she is in charge of the Circle of Magi, and I'm definitely not giving her that. Mages deserve compassion and mercy and trust, not someone who only cares about what she wants and what she approves.

Another thing that bothers me is Dog. Is it dead? Is it gone? I mean, it's my dog!

#79 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:10 AM

Good also, I suppose, about the fact that people whose PCs chose the ultimate sacrifice can still play with their characters if they want to. I wouldn't dream of doing it - it would totally compromise the point of the story, and my character's decision - but at least all those people who want to can.

I take this back! I've just realised - they've effectively made the dark ritual canon! You can't play from your Sacrificed Warden save and then create a new Orlesian Warden. That's really, really annoying. It effectively means all the decisions I made in those saves were meaningless.

Another thing that bothers me is Dog. Is it dead? Is it gone? I mean, it's my dog!

Yes, and he wasn't mentioned in the epilogue, either. There better be at least an explanation. (Out of interest, does anyone know how long Mabari are supposed to live?)

#80 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

I take this back! I've just realised - they've effectively made the dark ritual canon! You can't play from your Sacrificed Warden save and then create a new Orlesian Warden. That's really, really annoying. It effectively means all the decisions I made in those saves were meaningless.

I didn't catch this. What the hell, Bioware? You made the best ending to the game non-canon and then made it canon that the Grey Warden is a short-sighted idiot?

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri