• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

I honestly don't know... but I would like the; Int -> Wand, Breath, Poly: Wis -> Spell: Cha -> Hold .... a bit more, perhaps.

Me too; however, 1) some people would likely prefer to stay closer to 3rd edition rules (especially since that's how the component is called), and 2) people like Mike and Galactycon have a better grasp of game balance than me (especially after factoring in the interactions between tb#tweaks and their mod), so I'm waiting for other people's opinions before writing up one solution.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#22 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

I honestly don't know... but I would like the; Int -> Wand, Breath, Poly: Wis -> Spell: Cha -> Hold .... a bit more, perhaps.

Me too; however, 1) some people would likely prefer to stay closer to 3rd edition rules (especially since that's how the component is called), and 2) people like Mike and Galactycon have a better grasp of game balance than me (especially after factoring in the interactions between tb#tweaks and their mod), so I'm waiting for other people's opinions before writing up one solution.

If you want the opinion of someone who knows the game and PnP really well, ask Demi. After years of playing BG2, I still have no idea how most of the spell protections and removals work.

I can say that Spell Revisions assigns saving throws vs. Breath for spells offering a Reflex-type save, Death/Poison/Paralyzation for Fortitude, and Spell for Will.

#23 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

I think that settles it for Dex -> Breath, Con -> Death and Wis -> Spell. Shame that Int is still useless and Chr easily replaceable by the rest of your party, though.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#24 -Borsook-

-Borsook-

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

Is this component IWD1 compatible?

#25 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:38 AM

Dex - WAND, Breath, Con - Polymorph, Death/Poison, Wis - Spell = 3rd edition
BUT, Dex & Cha - Wand, breath, Con & Str - Polymorph, Death/Poison, Wis & Int - Spell - even better than 3rd edition, call it 2rd ed inspired homebrew

#26 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

You can pair Dex with Wis or Int (as monks, that gain wisdom bonus for reflecting attacks)
In that case Cha can be paired with spell protecting characteristic
(there was feat in 3rd edition, that makes such thing, so all that i wrote above can be realised as feat, abil or...)

#27 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Is this component IWD1 compatible?

I don't even have IWD1 installed, but I suspect it is compatible.

Dex - WAND, Breath, Con - Polymorph, Death/Poison, Wis - Spell = 3rd edition
BUT, Dex & Cha - Wand, breath, Con & Str - Polymorph, Death/Poison, Wis & Int - Spell - even better than 3rd edition, call it 2rd ed inspired homebrew

I chose Dex - WAND, Breath, Con - Polymorph, Death/Poison, Wis - Spell because it integrates nicely with Item Revision / Spell Revision, which assign Reflex-type saves to Breath, Fortitude to Death/Poison and Will to Spell, leaving Wand and Polymorph more or less unused. I could do what you're asking, but to offer the choice between multiple rule sets I'd have to break component numbers (and make it harder to reinstall properly), so I'll only do it more people want this sort of thing. If only you want it I could give you instructions on editing the files.

#28 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

Deal
Comon people, ask for additional ruleset, it 'll be fun, remember Fallout? where str & con deal with health equally, and who can say, that charisma has nothing common with will?

#29 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

remember Fallout? where str & con deal with health equally,

Quite sure it didn't in the original games(Fallout & Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics), besides that was Endurance not Constitution, you gained only +1 hit point from Str point, while you gained +2 * Endurance and +1/2 * (character_level - 1) * Endurance...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 01 January 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#30 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

Ok, not equally, but raising str = raising health in Fallout, Isn't?
maeby every 2 points in con will rise saves by 1 point, and with every 4 points in str You'll gain additional 1 point in saves
Reason? Why only str/con/dex can deal with saves... as for me, this is weird
str is phisical parameter, as con, so it can react on phisical actions made to character. Poison, polymorph & death are that kind of actions
wis, int & cha are mental parameters, so if monks and other characters with proper feats can use them to resist phisical attacks, why this can't be a native ability of the others.
Remember Equlibrium (the movie)? Person can avoid attack by knowing enemy and his position
Knowledge is the mental parameter, right?
(It's all just for balance)

#31 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

Charisma isn't useless parameter in 3rd edition, paladins use it to gain bonus to all their saves.

#32 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

If intelligence could somehow be made less useless for a non-caster, that would be great. And if there could be some use for charisma for more than one member of your party, that would be great too.

I love these 3e stat components even as they are, though!

#33 Gay Lord

Gay Lord
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have some requests/suggestions for the 3E stats, if you're interested Bigg.

A) Have the mental stats give spell bonuses. I suggest either of the following:

12 = +1 1st level spell
14 = +1 2nd level spell
16 = +1 3rd level spell
18 = +1 4th level spell

OR

11 = +1 1st level spell
12 = +1 1st level spell
13 = +1 2nd level spell
14 = +1 2nd level spell
15 = +1 3rd level spell
16 = +1 3rd level spell
17 = +1 4th level spell
18 = +1 4th level spell
19 = +2 5th level spells
20 = +2 6th level spells
21 = +2 7th level spells
22 = +1 1st-4th level spells (+2 8th level spells for wiz)
23 = +1 5th-7th level spells (+2 9th level spells for wiz)
24 = +1 1st-9th level spells
25 = +1 1st-9th level spells

The latter is an alteration of 2E rules for bonus spells for Wisdom. In both cases, the tables would apply to Int, Wis and Cha for Arcane, Divine and Bard spells respectively.

B) I would suggest making five of the stats useful for the five saving throws, maybe something like:

P/P/DM = Con
R/S/W = Int
P/P = Cha (to me, Cha is strength of personality, confidence, the ability to be YOU)
BW = Dex
S = Wis

Assuming you're keeping stat save modifiers as they are, then mental stats still need to be useful for non-casters. How about this:

Int = +5% XP per step. (12 = +5%, 14 = +10%, etc)
Cha = each step equals a luck bonus (thus 18 Cha = +4 luck. Now, those who use cha as a dump stat will have luck penalties)

I would normally put XP bonus into wisdom, but you use that for a save bonus, so... meh. If you do want to apply XP to Wis, then you could have Int give proficiency bonuses, each step giving an extra star to put in weapons.

#34 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Bonuses to spell slots and/or XP causes trouble when you start losing the associated stat; the save bonuses were chosen for integration for Spell Revisions (which switches saves to a 3E -like format); finally, +1 luck is +1 to damage, thac0 and saves... Charisma would be ungodly powerful if I Implemented that.

That said, adding (a revision) the choices you mention is possible, but don't expect it anytime soon.

#35 Gay Lord

Gay Lord
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Fair enough. They were just suggestions on how to make the mental stats less useless compared to the physical stats, particularly Cha.

I personally think spellcasters have too few spells, but that's my problem with D&D in general, not BG.

#36 -Joe Blogs-

-Joe Blogs-

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ah, is multiclass characters getting super-high save bonuses a known bug? Jaheira has +9 bonus on Breath and Death saves, and +6 bonus on Spell save. Me and Minsc have the proper save bonuses, according to the formula's given. Imoen also has +5-6 bonuses, I can only guess its because they are multiclass/dualclass. 

#37 -Joe Blogs-

-Joe Blogs-

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Ah, is multiclass characters getting super-high save bonuses a known bug? Jaheira has +9 bonus on Breath and Death saves, and +6 bonus on Spell save. Me and Minsc have the proper save bonuses, according to the formula's given. Imoen also has +5-6 bonuses, I can only guess its because they are multiclass/dualclass.