Awakening: Companions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Any thoughts on what companions you're going to take along most of the time again (see previous)? I figured I'd take Justice, Oghren and Sigrun as my primary companions, a nice blend of classes (everyone knows I play a mage) and a good mix for banters. I'll probably give Mhairi a chance as well.

Confirmed Companions:

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Anders is a definite. As for the rest, I'll have to see about them once I meet them.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Justice, Anders and probably either Nathaniel Howe or that human female, Mhairi - or Velanna. Or maybe a rotating NPC in the third slot.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

The two mages, and a rogue... names don't matter much. :lol:
So it's Anders, Sigrun and Velanna, most likely... and myself as a mage of course.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 13 March 2010 - 01:23 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Justice and Sigrun for me, and I'm going to rotate Oghren and Anders. Probably.

#6 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm...They all seem pretty decent I dont really know who im going to choose...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Personally I have a problem with Anders and Velanna from the material we've seen so far, but I hope I'm wrong this time - otherwise the quarters at the keep will be rather empty.

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

There're some really serious spoilers on Bioware forums about companions - about one companion, really. So, um, if you don't want to know, don't go there. (I do know now, and I'm relieved to know, to be honest).

Edit: I'll try to put it in spoiler tags(never tried this thingy before). Mind you, it's only what I heard on the forums: haven't seen it myself yet:
Spoiler

Edited by Kulyok, 15 March 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

That's odd... I guess I'll see what happens when the time comes.

#10 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Sigrun, Mharai and Justice all look really interesting. Can't wait to see what they're about. The rest I can't really seem to bring myself to get excited about meeting. Who knows, though? I liked all the Origins companions, so there's a good chance I'll like all of these lot, too.

I don't know who my cocky, suave and shallow human male mage will take with him. He spent the majority of his time in Origins with Alistair (who he fancied like crazy), Zevran (who he grew to care for) and Shale (who he thought was hilarious). I'm hesitant to play with two mages - I don't think I'm good enough - but I suppose I might take Oghren, Anders and Nathaniel. That leaves the others for my Orlesian Warden. (I realise this means very little to you all, but I like to order my thoughts.)

#11 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Double post - sorry!

Edited by Crazee, 16 March 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#12 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. It annoys me the Bioware forums are already full of spoilers from the Americans who have their copies...just be warned.

#13 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

I probably will need to read the spoilers anyway: I want a party of Anders, Nathaniel Howe and Justice, and I want to go and find out where to find Justice.

#14 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:16 PM

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. It annoys me the Bioware forums are already full of spoilers from the Americans who have their copies...just be warned.

This is why I steer clear of the forums. Most often than not, people can't be bothered to use spoilers tags, even though the forum's title includes a very visible "NO SPOILERS"....... <_<

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#15 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

Well I tend to post on the spoilers forum since I've been playing DA:O pretty intensively - the problem is they've lumped in Awakenings with the OC so there's no avoiding it now. Grrr.

#16 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

And I just found out that David Gaider wrote Anders, Nathaniel and Justice. Ho-ho! Knew it.
http://social.biowar...7/index/1772216

#17 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

I haven't ordered/bought my copy yet.. I think I will wait and see what other people say. But for now, I will be taking Anders and Veleana for sure.. and not sure about who will be the last one I will be taking.

#18 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

It doesn't look like all of the NPCs are available right off the bat. So far, all I've got in my party is Anders, Oghren, and Nathaniel. A pity all those shields and single-handed weapons are going to waste, but I really only need one fighter.

Nathaniel is an archer rather than a two-weapons thief, which is kind of annoying, since my style of playing is more geared toward melee rather than ranged combat, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

When Justice shows up, Oghren may well be relegated to benchwarmer status. Alcoholism isn't a joke to begin with, and if anything, it seems that that's really the only personality trait he has. So he's a one-trick pony, and I'm not really finding that trick all that amusing.
Spoiler

They seemn to have made an effort to reduce the ability to 'mug' temporary companions of their gear before they are gone.
Spoiler

Can't say I'm really enjoying the new conversation system all that much. I miss the ability to talk to my companions at will. About the only one I seem to be able to do that with is Oghren, and I don't really need to hear anoter drunken banter.

Edited by berelinde, 19 March 2010 - 02:24 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#19 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:47 AM

Same here about Oghren. I got kind of used to him, though: it was nice to have a party of four Grey Wardens.

Mhairi was my first and only NPC who had to wear a helmet. I took it off, looked at her head and face, and hastily put the helmet on again. As for Mhairi's equipment,
Spoiler

I sold all my swords and shields, but Justice wears Cailan's arms from RtO with three Grandmaster runes of Paralyzation. Nathaniel dual-wields daggers with paralization runes, and so does my main PC. The boss fights(from demons to dragons) usually look the same: hit, hit, paralyze-paralyze-paralyze-backstabbing-paralyze-paralyze-death(and Anders running around with his spells).

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

So they honestly didn't implement paralyzation immunity for the bosses?