Insecure Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -JustAnotherCouchPotato-

-JustAnotherCouchPotato-

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

There is no walkthrough for the mod, is there?

I have played through Baldur's Gate II so often that I have difficulties playing it twice for the same mod. So when I try a new romance and screw up at some point without noticing in time it gets doubly frustrating, as I this way I will probably never see the proper ending.[/lame excuse]

So, is there a walkthrough or are there at least some pointers what to look out for?

#2 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

I did not write up a walkthrough, but as someone who has played loads of romances for various games, this one is very straightforward in my opinion. The first talks are just slightly tweaked versions of Sarevok's standard talks with the PC, and there's really not all that many others and they're on pretty quick timers. So, short of slamming straight through ToB without stopping to take a breath, it would be pretty hard to miss anything.

I'd definitely suggest going through Watcher's Keep at some point - any time after the Oasis is probably most logical. Talk to Sarevok from time to time to check for new talks, especially after big events. If a new talk hasn't popped up in a long time, advance the plot (or try resting...or both). It's probably not a spoiler at this point (since we've said it a fair amount of times around here :P) but Sendai and Abazigal must be dead for the later talks to trigger. Other than that, I don't think there's anything that isn't glaringly obvious that would mess up the romance. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :D

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#3 -JustAnotherCouchPotato-

-JustAnotherCouchPotato-

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

As long as this doesn't go like the Imoen romance (where you have to collect enough points to proceed at a very specific point) or Longer Road (for which I still don't know how to get the happy end), I'm happy.

#4 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

Oh, no, nothing like that. I tried to make the dialog options that can kill the romance very obvious, and there's no build up of points or influence-like system in any way. Pretty straight forward. :)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#5 -JustAnotherCouchPotato-

-JustAnotherCouchPotato-

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

Excellent. Then I shall give you now the long overdue thanks for your work as a modder and a mediator (to your own work ;) ).

I have been waiting for a mod like this for a long time and it has good and in-character writing. :Bow:

#6 -Obnoxious Line-

-Obnoxious Line-

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:54 AM

Greetings SHS and Aeyrin :] First of all, allow me to thank you for one of the best romance mods I've played, and that's saying a whole lot, given just how many there are out there.

I've finished it a few months ago, but only now just reread the readme to notice there there are two romance paths. Here's my question - I never noticed any difference in Sarevok dialogues, and according to Shadowkeeper I'm on path 2. How does one or the other path start and differ? Sorry if I'm asking on the wrong thread, but this one seemed the most appropriate.

Once again, thank you for this amazing piece of work, and for satisfying a fangirl's dreams :3

#7 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for the kind words. ^_^

The two paths are basically one path for a PC who doesn't want to use Bhaal's taint to gain power and one path for a PC who does want to use the taint to obtain power. In lovetalk 5 (begins "Come aside with me, <CHARNAME>. I must speak with you."), Sarevok urges the PC to use her taint to essentially attain what he failed to attain himself, and the PC's answer splits the romance at that point. I tried to keep away from labeling them as "good" and "evil" paths because I can see reasons for a good PC to want to ascend just as I can see reasons for an evil PC to want to stay mortal, but Sarevok's behavior polarizes depending on the PC's desires, making the arcs of the two branches pretty different.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#8 Line

Line
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

Aha, I see. I'd suspected it might have something rather to do with the oath. I like the intricacy of this! Thanks for clarifying everything. Now I definitely need to try both paths...once I remember which one it was I have played already :] Thanks for the quick response!

[Oh, and this is indeed the guest who'd asked earlier.]

#9 -Guest_Sergio-

-Guest_Sergio-

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Is there a way to preview the dialogues and to see the ending of the relantionship?

#10 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:24 AM

You can view the dialogue files in the Override folder (once Sarevok Romance is installed) using Infinity Explorer.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

You can view the dialogue files in the Override folder (once Sarevok Romance is installed) using Infinity Explorer.

didn't know that. But how do I know which files the mod added? inside the override folder there are many files ;)

or do I just look to the left column

Click on "dialog"
go find any voice related to Sarevok?

Also, I find many <no Text> string into "SAREV25A". What is supposed to be here?

Thanks for help

#12 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

SAREV25J is what you're looking for as I recall.

#13 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

The "good" female ascension ending is the same as the vanilla ending. The other three (evil ascension, evil non-ascension and good non ascension) are new. They're all good in their own way.