Proposed modifications to the TP2 file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 11:12 PM

I see TGM already informed you about our project! It’d be great to sync our tables, but it’s not strictly necessary :)
We’d want to preserve compatibility with your mod in all cases: that is, one should be able to install the new tables for ALL classes from our mod, and THEN install your mod if he prefers your versions of the tables for thieves and bards!
Vice-versa if he wants your generic modifications to the kits, but prefers TGM’s versions of the HLAs even for thieves and bards.
ATM the first option is impossible, though. There are two problems:

First (this is generic in truth): I noticed you just copy your version of the weapprof.2da. This would destroy any custom kit installation, and leaves only the option to install your mod first. I’m quite sure this could be avoided by using COPY_EXISTING and the needed amount of SET_2DA_ENTRYs to modify your thief proficiencies! The original columns keep the same positions, so no problems even when kits are added. It’d be really necessary!

Second (specific to our problem): you use COPY_EXISTING with LUABBR.2DA, Followed by a couple of REPLACE_TEXTUALLY.
This is perfect if you’re working with the original file, but in case it’s already modified (say, by us), possibly the first line won’t match perfectly, so you’d lose your modifications.
But all is fine if you use this command (example for just the Bounty Hunter’s line):

COPY_EXISTING ~LUABBR.2DA~ ~override/LUABBR.2DA~
SET_2DA_ENTRY 37 1 2 Th2

It’s fast, and assures us: first, that abbreviations for new kits are again preserved, and second, that our mods could be installed in any order, no matter if some lines are already modified!
What do you think? :)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:14 AM

I see TGM already informed you about our project! It?d be great to sync our tables, but it?s not strictly necessary :)
We?d want to preserve compatibility with your mod in all cases: that is, one should be able to install the new tables for ALL classes from our mod, and THEN install your mod if he prefers your versions of the tables for thieves and bards!
Vice-versa if he wants your generic modifications to the kits, but prefers TGM?s versions of the HLAs even for thieves and bards.

My thoughts exactly. We'll try to sync as much as possible and leave the rest up to the players. As I've mentioned before, I'll make the mod much more modular in v3.00 with most components being optional, so there should be even fewer compatibility problems.

First (this is generic in truth): I noticed you just copy your version of the weapprof.2da. This would destroy any custom kit installation, and leaves only the option to install your mod first. I?m quite sure this could be avoided by using COPY_EXISTING and the needed amount of SET_2DA_ENTRYs to modify your thief proficiencies! The original columns keep the same positions, so no problems even when kits are added. It?d be really necessary!

Yes, I did copy that file, but only because the last WeiDU version that I've used (1.14 or so) didn't support the SET_2DA_ENTRY. Of course, now that it does, I'll do my best to retain a maximum level of compatibility. Still, I think the lesser 2DA's may be better off if copied (i.e. the kit 2DAs like LUBA3.2DA etc, simply because of the shear size of the changed material, but in a pitch I could be persuaded to use SET_2DA_ENTRY even there. :P

Second (specific to our problem): you use COPY_EXISTING with LUABBR.2DA, Followed by a couple of REPLACE_TEXTUALLY.
This is perfect if you?re working with the original file, but in case it?s already modified (say, by us), possibly the first line won?t match perfectly, so you?d lose your modifications.

No problem, as I've said the SET_2DA_ENTRY instruction didn't exist at the time I wrote the last revision of the TP2 so I'll be sure to include it this time. LUABBR.2DA is an important file used by many kit/class altering mods so I'll certainly do my best to ensure compatibility here as well.

BTW, tell me, do you plan to alter the HLAs for each kit separately in your mod or will you continue to use BIO's generic class ability set approach ?

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:23 PM

do you plan to alter the HLAs for each kit separately in your mod or will you continue to use BIO's generic class ability set approach ?

That depends. Right now, I'm finishing the changes on the classes, and after this is done I'll move to kits. But I can spoil that not every single kit will have their very own HLA table, only those that truly need one.

By the way, would You like to test some of those HLA tables? If so, please notify me and I'll send you the required files. (I want to have as much testers as possible ;) )
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#4 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 12:23 AM

Still, I think the lesser 2DA's may be better off if copied

Of course, straight copy all the way!!!
We *want* to change that tables, right? :lol:

BTW, tell me, do you plan to alter the HLAs for each kit separately in your mod or will you continue to use BIO's generic class ability set approach ?

Me be stupid coder, me use TGM stuff! :lol:
Really, I’ve offered to code TGM’s material, but likely the thing will evolve (actually it is evolving already!). Class-wise modifications for now, with exceptions for some kits :)

uh, hi TGM! ( *scared* )

EDIT: external testing would be fine, but wait for the WeiDU installer at least, so we can see if some changes are creating problems!

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#5 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:45 AM

By the way, would You like to test some of those HLA tables? If so, please notify me and I'll send you the required files. (I want to have as much testers as possible ;) )

Sadly, I have very little time at the moment, and I barely manage to work on my own mods. It'll probably be even less now when I finally get my hands on ToEE :D

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:47 AM

NP, the words of Littiz were correct anyway, we shall wait with testing.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.