Mega Mod - quests in German??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Janusushi

Janusushi
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hello!
I have a problem;) I installed a mega modification using Big World. I installed only the recommended mods, and of course not all of them, just the ones I wanted. Everything seemed fine - but then, in my game, I met a few characters talking in... German:/ There's a woman standing near a hut close to High Hedge, a dwarf (maybe more than one, I can't remember) in Beregost, also someone in the Friendly Arms Inn, and a woman in Naskhel (Frau Brunnstein is her name, at least in German:) with a missing son.
I was sure I checked all mods on the list in the BiG World menu - if they're in English, and so they were, I think... I remember that near the end of the installation process there was an option about the language - and I can't remember which one I chose, of course. Did any of you had such a problem - and happen to know the solution? I'd be grateful, as I don't speak German at all and I don't want to miss these quests... But I also don't want to start the game again:/ Maybe it's possible to reinstall the mods, and load my current saves - will they work?

Thansk for the tips... if you have any! :)

#2 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Frau Brunnstein is from "Ascalons Questpack" and it's listed as German.
It's the version selection and it looks like this:

V E R S I O N S E L E C T I O N
══════════════════════════════════

Please select the version yet.
You can select between STANDARD, TACTIC and EXPERT.

STANDARD will install the most frequent desired mods and components.
! For an installation only in English also press the key L (SL, TL).

So I guess you missed the L at the end (if not, you should have a file called BWP_Language in your BG2-folder).
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#3 s20dan

s20dan
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I also found german NPCs in an English tactics install.

Edited by s20dan, 10 January 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#4 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

So why don't you share them so they can be removed if you did?
Really, I know that it may be disappointing if things don't work out as they should, but these posts don't change that a bit if they lack information.

#5 Janusushi

Janusushi
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

@Dabus - thanks for your reply. I guess you must be right with the SL, EL etc. - I didn't choose this option, because I misunderstood it;)

My question is, if I HAD chosen this option, would these NPCs talk in English now or would they simply not exist in my game? Because if they did exist and talk in English, maybe I could reinstall the mods, or change some files...

Btw, I don't have the BWP_Language file in my BGII - SoA folder.

PS I also forgot to mention that most people in major cities (Beregost, Naskhel) talk in German... The text of the dialogs is in English, but the sound is German.

Edited by Janusushi, 11 January 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#6 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Mods that are available in English are installed in English. So if you had selected the L-option, the mods that didn't match just would have been left out of the installation.

#7 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

I think the behavior should be reversed (S installs only <local language> mods, SL also installs <foreign language> mods), unless there's a reason for the current behavior.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#8 Janusushi

Janusushi
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Now that's a quick answer:) Thanks a lot. So I guess I'll just skip these NPCs or ask for help my German-speaking sister;)

#9 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

Forgive me for treading the hallowed halls of the BWS (just started once again :D) but I'm using the beta and in the screen where you have the "Further customize ..." check box, there's this box that lets you choose a language, yes?

Does this "enter L to install English-only" thing mean that the above option is redundant? :unsure: Or is this something that's native to the non-beta BWS?? :lol:

EDIT: Either way, thebigg's suggestion gets a +1 from me :P (if that even counts :ROFL:)

Edited by Lollorian, 11 January 2011 - 08:06 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#10 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Batch:
The L-option is used since it was used in the German an Spanish version.
All installation instructions for all available languages were merged in v9.4 or something to have a more general approach, which resulted in less pain while adding Russian and maybe other translations later.
So with that change, this behavior was introduced to the English version and players had to type in another character as well to get rid of foreign languages.

If you want to change that, write a mail to Leonardo (he visits the forums quite rarely).

Beta:
The BWS beta does not use the BiG World Install.bat
It used the batch to install the Smoothpack that's included. If that would be externalized, there would be no need to load the Installpack for the beta.

#11 Janusushi

Janusushi
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Sorry to post my question here, but I really don't know where and whom to ask:/ I've been playing BG with my Mega Modification for a while now and of course I had to decide whom to keep in my team and whom to remove. I... well, I killed Jaheira to get rid of her (I can't stand her), then I removed Khalid to make a place for Dynaheir. I also removed Bill Scarlet O'Hara after a short time. Each time the removed characters just walked away and disappeared... So I can't take them back. And now, suddenly, in exactly the same situations I get a dialog option suggesting the NPCs to wait for me in Friendly Arms Inn or Jovial Juggler in Beregost. It wasn't there before!! I managed to send there Ajantis, Branwen, Quayle and some other characters, but I've got trouble with Will Scarlet O'Hara and with Khalid and Jaheira. With Will - because he disappeared and I don't know what to write in CreateCreature cheat. And as about Khalid and Jaheira... I can "create" them thanks to this cheat (writing Khalid and Jaheir), but they won't talk to me, just wish me good adventures. I'd really like to have a possibility to take them back one day and do their quests... So can you tell me if it's possible to do it, not starting a new game? Maybe I could change some info in the game files?

Thanks in advance if you know the solution or where to find it...

#12 Kpso

Kpso
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:57 AM

Ok guys, one more thing, except for some npc's that are mentioned above Im getting regular NPCs in German after BWP 9.7, i met Breagar in Beregost and he speaks german to me :)
Is there any way to change it back to english without full reinstall?
Hopefully thats the only NPC that became german.

Edited by Kpso, 07 February 2011 - 05:10 AM.