A minor dialog "bug"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yoho

Yoho

Royal hashashin

• 65 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 03:58 AM

I read from the SoA manual that the planet you're on is called "Toril". But Tashia is mentionning "earth" in a dialogue I can't remember. In fact, I'm not even sure that the characters knows what is a planet (at least, they should know what is Faerun but nothing more than this). They also knows about "planes".

What would you suggest to replace this word ?

#2 alustriel

alustriel

Seething little ball of hate...

• 240 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:52 AM

I've always gathered that most people on Aber-Toril understand the concept of "planet". Afterall, Spelljamming ships are common visitors to Faerun. Perhaps the very uneducated do not grasp the concept, but most people would. :)

Is the usage of "earth" referring to earth as in "soil" or "ground"? I'm betting that's the context Arian was expecting people to use. Not "Earth" as in the planet. Although I agree with you, it should be edited to say soil, or ground, or something more appropriate for this setting. ;)

~LA
<center>Madness...<br>Tempest of the Witch

"Arr, ph34r me leet skillz, ye scurvy dogs, or shiver me timbers if I don't pwnzor the lot of ye! One one one and a bottle of rum!

Avast, ye scurvy n00bs! STFU and prepare to be pwned!!!11!!1!"</center>

Vero: In Halo... "I done kilted you!"
Alustriel: So.. he puts a man-skirt on his victims? Dooood.. That's just harsh!
Vero: LOL

#3 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:30 AM

Is the usage of "earth" referring to earth as in "soil" or "ground"? I'm betting that's the context Arian was expecting people to use. Not "Earth" as in the planet. Although I agree with you, it should be edited to say soil, or ground, or something more appropriate for this setting. ;)

~LA

If it is used as 'soil' or 'ground', then there is no need to change it - 'earth' in Faerun means the same as 'earth' in our world. For example, 'Earth Elemental' or the plane of earth.

#4 Yoho

Yoho

Royal hashashin

• 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 11:01 PM

Hmm... Not sure this is the same meaning as "ground" or "soil" : it's definitly the planet earth. Look at this dialog but be careful :

** SPOILER **

** SPOILER **

** SPOILER **

"
I have heard many interesting stories about the Sea of Fallen Stars. It's located far to the east from where we are now... the territories surrounding it are supposedly swarming with cities of all sizes - some even as old as the earth itself. Countless legends speak of those lands, both good and evil, with epic battles and valiant heroes around every corner. I have wanted to go there ever since I was a child running around the frozen lands of Icewind Dale...
"

#5 alustriel

alustriel

Seething little ball of hate...

• 240 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:39 AM

Ah ok... You've heard the expression, "He/She's older than dirt."? :P She's saying that those cities are even older than the very earth beneath your feet. :huh: Somehow, unless these cities were teleported whole and intact to Toril from somewhere else, I don't get that. :P But there you have it. ;)
<center>Madness...<br>Tempest of the Witch

"Arr, ph34r me leet skillz, ye scurvy dogs, or shiver me timbers if I don't pwnzor the lot of ye! One one one and a bottle of rum!

Avast, ye scurvy n00bs! STFU and prepare to be pwned!!!11!!1!"</center>

Vero: In Halo... "I done kilted you!"
Alustriel: So.. he puts a man-skirt on his victims? Dooood.. That's just harsh!
Vero: LOL