Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Well, you would give the player 6 starting possibilities as their back grounds, adjust the d20 ruleset a bit, a call the game Age of Dragon :unsure: ... ups, but they did that already. :doh:
Yes, the Dragon Age Origins is very open for mods, and the producers even gave a tool to use to make the mods... now they just got to give the modders the same kind of tool to the DAII, and the eventual DAIII... and I am pretty sure they'll have the same kind of following like the BG2 has around the 2022, if they'll play their cards right.

I agree, and one super Die-Hard BG fan told me that Dragon Age is the nearest game to the BG saga without infringing on Copyright laws. (I always thought that Leliana was the love-child between Chole and Imoen.) But the problem is that Dragon Age is a VERY MATURE game along the levels of Fallout 1&2 and most of the mods for the PC version are 70% non-mature and 30% super-mature. BG was a kind of game that kids around 6 to 9 could play, and BGII was the kind for kids 11 - 14 to play. (I wonder if it was so for a reason?)And the only recent game like that is Mass Effect, which is not Mature in nature and in line with the SW EU.And I have found out that kids around 9 to 16 playing it based upon checking with the local Game Store. And there will always be a super group of fans for DA, just look at Europe with F1 and F2 and the JA saga modding sites. And I have checked with the deepest bowels of the DA2 fanbase and checked with the Producers at Bioware, and the first Game-long Mod I think will be made by fans for DA2 will be a super mature mod that I am not going to talk about. Also, 6 starting Possibilities? What about a love-child between an Orc and an Elf? Orcs need love too! And that will be in line with the City Elves.

Edited by Neane, 01 May 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#22 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

I think overall the story for the Child of Bhaal is completed and too much time has passed to try cashing in on that now. But as mentioned before, Baldur's Gate is a city, so it can be any story within the canon of that area, or even just simply adding something. There would be possible cameo appearances and whatnot, but not to the point it takes away from the game. Must haves would be an open map world like Oblivion did, having the party actually travelling the distances and random encounters. Technology is to a point it doesn't have to be limited. As far as Dragon Age, Bioware sure shows they still love Baldur's Gate and would probably be on board if not for EA. Though who knows it is always possible EA could buy the rights from Atari, they have done that before.

LOL, random thought, what if somehow Rockstar got it?
Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD

#23 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

By all means, someone should make a new game that happens around Baldur's Gate or at least Luskan!
But no resurrecting of Anomen and Co - they're old people by now. :D

And if it's going to happen, I pray they don't make it as 'good' as DA2.

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#24 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

LOL, random thought, what if somehow Rockstar got it?

Then it would be disappointing because it would look exactly like GTA, LAN, or RDR and have the same dynamics, too much useless stuff to do, and a crappy storyline.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#25 Jerdryn

Jerdryn
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

Why the focus on making a new game?
They have the best game made in the history of gaming. So in my opinion they should make a "remake". The entire baldurs gate-saga in an enhanced infinty engine. Adding minor graphical enhancements, subraces, classpackages or kits, possibly alternate backgrounds(like how the tiefling fighter grew up in candlekeep or the elven mage etc), customizing the paperdoll, new portraits(npcs should look the "same" but illustrated to match the style, adding sidemission and depth to the main mission, resolution and so on. No new game but enhancing the old.
How about that?

#26 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

They have the best game made in the history of gaming. So in my opinion they should make a "remake". The entire baldurs gate-saga in an enhanced infinty engine. Adding minor graphical enhancements, subraces, classpackages or kits, possibly alternate backgrounds(like how the tiefling fighter grew up in candlekeep or the elven mage etc), customizing the paperdoll, new portraits(npcs should look the "same" but illustrated to match the style, adding sidemission and depth to the main mission, resolution and so on. No new game but enhancing the old.
How about that?

Brilliant. I believe that Baldur's Gate should be remastered professionally and yet keep the best of the Infinity Engine. And it always puzzled me about how I could be evil at the start of the game with Gorion as my pop. And while we are on the subject of Baldur's Gate getting modern day enhancements, a small group of people are currently working on creating a mod for Dragon Age in which you get to be in Baldur's Gate 2.

So I get the feeling that if no company/corporation updates Baldur's Gate 1&2 soon: Some fans are going to do it for free.

Edited by Neane, 14 July 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#27 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

Well, most of those things have already been made by the moding community, the Widescreen mod, the 1PP, the kit mods, the sub-races mod, quest mods(TDD, SOS, TS)... to name a few.

So I get the feeling that if no company/corporation updates Baldur's Gate 1&2 soon: Some fans are going to do it for free.

The copy rights are not salvageable. So there isn't going to be a company that will be able to...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 15 July 2011 - 06:32 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#28 ppain

ppain
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

I would prefer to have something like Icewind Dale, a story that target a region of faerun with normal characters avoiding the epic world wide conflict that you see in BG2. ToB was already a bit too much, it would have been welcome to end the plot with Irenicus. I don't see a BG3, but rather I would prefer a sort of Advanced Infinity Engine, keeping the same spirit of IE but with better graphics, avoiding at all cost 3D.

See how big is Faerun you could make a trilogy in each region :) The never ending engine :)

But ok i know it's not gonna happen, better stick to the modding community.

#29 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Just let it die. If the devs had any brains they would have continued a different story using IE right after ToB was released.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#30 Daxs

Daxs
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

They could always do a remake. Retraux and remakes are pretty popular these days. Look at what Megaman did, or what Final Fantasy does.

The games could be remade, perhaps a bit enhanced, especially the first one. New characters, the truly promised idea of 'carrying your party over' and thensome.

If they do it right, they could maybe even remake ToB to make the ending less final and then leave it open to a then true sequel.

#31 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:44 AM

The games could be remade, perhaps a bit enhanced, especially the first one. New characters, the truly promised idea of 'carrying your party over' and thensome.

Ever heard of the BGT... where the adventure starts in candlekeep, goes the BG1 stuff first and you then 'travel to' the BGII SoA in a cut scene and continue from there...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#32 -princesspurpleblob-

-princesspurpleblob-

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Why would you want to remake BG2? It is masterpiece as it is. I don't think anything good will come out in new engine or new graphics. Just let it be. I don't want to see my favourite game of all time being ruined. Create something new, stop trying to ruin the classic masterpiece.

#33 ARKdeEREH

ARKdeEREH
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

I think it would be really fun if someone would make a game that encompassed all of Faerun. It could be multiple games that could all be put together to make one game that the characters could move between. Like if the Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale, and any others that take place in Faerun and have similar graphics and structure could all be moved between as part of the same game. Calimshan, Waterdeep, Menzoberanzan, Ched Nasad, etc. and their surrounding areas could all be different "games" which could each stand alone, or be attached together with each other and the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games to make one really big game. If the graphics were the same as Baldur's Gate a game that size could probably be handled by most of today's computers, since in spite of the enormous content it wouldn't really take up much space compared with Oblivion or some other game with much more advanced graphics.

As far as story-lines are concerned, I think it would be great for the Baldur's Gate story to continue beyond Throne of Bhaal. I think it would be best if the party and PC from TOB could be imported into the new game and that whatever stories were relevant for that character (such as romances) could continue. In my Baldur's Gate 2 game I played the Viconia romance to its conclusion and was always very disappointed by the epilogue, which basically said that Viconia was killed by Lolth after having some more adventures with the PC. I think it would be very fun to continue the Viconia romance further and to have a chance to save her from Lolth, or maybe resurrect her afterwards (like in Shadows of Amn when she gets turned into a vampire by Bodhi in chapter 6, gets killed and can be brought back). It also comes out in the Viconia romance that Viconia's brother was turned into a drider. Since he isn't actually dead, I think it would be fun to have a quest where it would be possible to go to Menzoberranzen and resuce Viconia's brother, Valas; to change him back into a drow and possibly bring him out of the Underdark. He could possibly even become a playable NPC. Alternatively, if Aerie was the subject of the romance, there could be a plot to help her get her wings back, or to return to her homeland. I've never played the Jaheira romance, or been particularly interested in doing so, so I don't know much about how that one ends or any loose ends it leaves that might be turned into new quests. There probably are some though, and they could be made into interesting plots too.

If this game were to really take place 30 years later, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I think it would be an interesting addition if the PC had children and those children could be NPCs that could join the party, or at least affect the game in some way. Also, it would be interesting if Sarevok could be brought back to the city of Baldur's Gate as an NPC. His interaction with the city could make for an interesting story-line in itself.

#34 -princesspurpleblob-

-princesspurpleblob-

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:01 AM

If this game were to really take place 30 years later, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I think it would be an interesting addition if the PC had children and those children could be NPCs that could join the party, or at least affect the game in some way. Also, it would be interesting if Sarevok could be brought back to the city of Baldur's Gate as an NPC. His interaction with the city could make for an interesting story-line in itself.

Right. You do realise there are people who choose to make their PC to be a god rather than a mortal. What possible story can come out from that ending then? Let the great saga end in peace. There is nothing wrong with story that's ended. I would hate to see BG series to turn into one of those drag-on-to-get-more-money.

#35 Steinarrexfaroensis

Steinarrexfaroensis
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Why not pool resources and create a Baldur's gate 3 using the same engine, but otherwise having a clean slate?

New characters, new story, new everything. Heck, it could even be centered around Luskan or Waterdeep or whatnot.

A corporate release of Baldur's Gate would most likely ruin everything. Would creating said game by avid fans be possible? Or would (bioware? Who the f**k owns the rights now?) be most displeased of unsanctioned use of their software?

Cheers!

#36 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:14 AM

Obviously yes - if executed rightly.
Higher res sprites and effects. Spells and skills revisions. mixing the open-endness of bg1 with bg2 depth. investing more in replayblity value. better co-op multi. seperate pvp multi. enhanced and actualy interesting strongholds that are more then just a shortquest for exp and loot. more realistic banters and team members relationships, longer romances. more hidden content. less overpowered bias (items, gear,spells, mobs) or at least a properly set requairements for getting them.

Made by the old team of BlackIsle. Story could be set 20 years after. You play as a child of Aaerie and PC from previous games.
theres still alot of power unused.
and comparing DA to BG Saga, saying they are somewhere similiar is viciously insulting. Even unmoded expansion to BG1 "tales of sword coast" are bigger, richer and longer then the whole DA bullcrap.

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#37 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Obviously yes - if executed rightly.
Higher res sprites and effects. Spells and skills revisions. mixing the open-endness of bg1 with bg2 depth. investing more in replayblity value. better co-op multi. seperate pvp multi. enhanced and actualy interesting strongholds that are more then just a shortquest for exp and loot. more realistic banters and team members relationships, longer romances. more hidden content. less overpowered bias (items, gear,spells, mobs) or at least a properly set requairements for getting them.

Made by the old team of BlackIsle. Story could be set 20 years after. You play as a child of Aaerie and PC from previous games.
theres still alot of power unused.
and comparing DA to BG Saga, saying they are somewhere similiar is viciously insulting. Even unmoded expansion to BG1 "tales of sword coast" are bigger, richer and longer then the whole DA bullcrap.

But see not everyone see the PC as male and even if they do they might see the PC as being with the other romance options...so you would have to include those as well...At least I hope the game would...Id much prefer Jaheria or even Viconia as the PC's love interest...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#38 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

thats not a must have. Its all preassumption. Example?
Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Misc. All in very first dungeon as like they would be a part of me team.
In my game i have slaughtered Jaheira and Khalid. I recruited Minsc and Dynaheir and killed Dynaheir so i could have just Minsc. Imoen died in Nashkel mines and i have replaced her with that halfing thief.

as a gamer i am used to things like this. :)
i mean devs picking the propably worst possible link that can connect story of both first and secund part of the game.
Aaerie, Imoen, Viconia - its irrelevant. As you wont be playing them. Theres actualy not even a need to reavel the parents of the PC. it can all be like "Child of Bhaal after his long jurney settled down and became a parent" - all of this is just an excuse for the 3rd part.

you prefer that overused "demi-god PC being hit in the back of his head losses all memories and all skills and must re-learn everything" method? ;)

oh and about DragonAge
Posted Image

Edited by Irbis, 28 October 2011 - 10:46 PM.

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#39 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

I am seriously against BG3. I loved the BG saga. I loved the ending. It is truly a masterpiece, one that doesn't need change or continuation. What I want is though, a masterpiece like BG saga but of different title. Too bad DA didn't turn out to be as good as it sound. The lore was very interesting, but they didn't execute the game itself quite as well. Lots of flaws and boring bits.

#40 ARKdeEREH

ARKdeEREH
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

I would love to play Baldur's Gate 3 if it ever came out, assuming that it was true to the first two games and contained the same characters (with new ones too of course. There were a number of things that weren't resolved in the BG2 or were resolved badly. What I would most like to see happen in a BG3 is for the various NPCs' epilogues to become playable storylines. The result that is mentioned in those epilogues could be one of several possible outcomes based on the decisions made by the PC.

For example, in Viconia's epilogue (after she has been in a romance with the PC) it says that the PC became a politician and she was his "trusted counsel." They lived together for a few years, had a son, and then she was murdered by Lolth, or something to that effect. I always thought this was a terrible ending for Viconia, who is my favorite BG NPC. I think it would be nice if in BG3 Viconia and the PC can continue their romance and have this son. He can become the politician and she can become his "trusted counsel." Lolth can tryto have Viconia killed and the PC can have the option of going to great lengths to rescue her. Viconia could actually be poisoned as the epilogue says, but she could either be cured or resurrected. Maybe she actually could die, but the PC could travel to Hell with some loyal followers, rescue Viconia, and then bring her back to the prime material plane. After Viconia was rescued, or left to die if the player so chose, the game could continue with other plots. This could be one of many quests, some relating to old characters and others relating to new ones. I forget the details, but in Sarevok's epilogue he drives away an army of some kind and then goes somewhere to be near the grave of his dead girlfriend Tamoko. He could actually do this in the game, but maybe could be helped by the PC. The Tamoko and Viconia plots could also be merged, as in if Viconia were killed by Lolth, the PC and Sarevok could both travel to Hell together to try and find the spirits of their dead girlfriends and resurrect them, or something to that effect.

Edit: I just noticed that I posted a surpringly similar post on this thread about a month ago. I apoligize for what may seem like near identical posts. I had some recent ideas about what I thought would make good storylines for BG3 and didn't realize until now that my earlier post was so similar. There are differences, however, so if you really want to read about what I think would be good in BG3 there is merit in reading both.

Also, I just had another idea for BG3. For all the people who don't want another game because they liked BG2's ending, what if there wasn't a central plot for BG3? As in, the PC keeps adventuring, either as a godly avatar or as a mortal, but doesn't have any one plot revolving around the PC specifically. This would mean no Irenicus-type or emphasis on Bhaalspawn or the like. The PC would just be one of inumerable adventurers wandering the realms and getting involved in various quests that revolve around different people. These people could be known to the PC, but would not necessarily be the PC him/herself. BG is just so much fun that it seems a shame if the adventures don't continue indefinitly, with the same party of course.

Edited by ARKdeEREH, 05 November 2011 - 04:15 AM.