Win8 fixes coming sometime...

In the meantime...
http://www.shsforums...rawfix-release/
with WineD3D dlls are best for Win8

#82 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

Oh, is all this only for Win8? BWS had the option checked for 'recommended installation', so I just let it do its thing. I assumed everyone needed this. I'm on XP here. My fault I guess.

Thanks for your help on my other topic by the way.

#83 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

From the problems you described it sounded like Win8 which is not supported very well..

Those problems on WinXP are unexpected...

The good news is you don't need the mod on XP :)

#84 -Arthandas-

-Arthandas-

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi, quick question: is this fix really necessary for Win7 (x64)? Will things explode if I uninstall it? The lack of vsync is making my eyes bleed...

#85 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

It depends on your graphic drivers,

The mod is for troubleshooting and IMO should not be installed by default.

It is safe to uninstall or reinstall the mod as many times as you want.

#86 -Arthandas-

-Arthandas-

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Well, at first I wanted to write that the game runs perfect even after uninstalling the fix but it quickly changed after running around the Hive for a while. Lag, slowdowns... Reinstalling the fix sent all the problems back to the Mortuary and now I can see the real difference :) Thanks for making this! 

#87 -Kokos-

-Kokos-

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Win8 fixes coming sometime...

In the meantime...
http://www.shsforums...rawfix-release/
with WineD3D dlls are best for Win8

Hi, does anybody know anything about the progress with win8 fixes? Many thanks.

#88 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

If for some reason the wined3d dlls don't work for you...
try my http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html with the NoVideoMemory option enabled.

( the rest is just ramblings, apologies in advance )

I had it “done” in about 30 minutes... months ago.
but it wasn't “done” right...
but doing it right is boring work cause it is no longer a puzzle.

--

the quick and dirty version...
hex edit at file offset 0042E8AD to the value 6A 00 90 90
and then install an older version of pst-drawfix ( version 1.4, which I'm not going to re-upload )

there are a number of problems with doing the above...
it basically “windowed mode” in fullscreen.

The extra problems that win8 has over win7 is the flickering
and the slow down from the color-leveling...

Torment can run in 32-bit color! ( in windowed mode )
Having the back buffer not attached to the primary flip chain fixes the slow downs... ( slows downs are caused by locking the back buffer and triggering a color depth conversion? )
Not using ForceDirectDrawEmulation fixes the flickering?
---

Unfortunately I'm easily sidetracked...

I started off trying to rebuild all the pst ddraw start-up code...
then I got distracted trying to create the perfect macro to beautify my code...
then I got distracted fixing the widescreen mod...
then I got distracted trying to writing the perfect slot allocator, that I don't really need...

… I think in the future I can do a much better job fixing this (and other) games with my ddwrapper project... which has been waiting for a rewrite for 5 months... and has been completely re-written twice in that time ( but never finished enough to release )… this is where the slot allocator is going :P

#89 -Kokos-

-Kokos-

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Hi aqrit,

Actually I'm not sure what works wrong.. Basically I was able to run the game with your DDrawFix tool, in forced emulation and wine mode. However.. Game randomly crashes . Not sure what's the cause.. Not sure how to troubleshoot this.. I can also be your tester if you need. ;)

Thanks for any suggestions and quick reply.

Kind regards,

Kokos

#90 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Game randomly crashes
... do you have the widescreen mod installed?

#91 -Kokos-

-Kokos-

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

Game randomly crashes
... do you have the widescreen mod installed?

yep. and it seems that's the issue. now running on the dev version and now everything seems to be stable.. Really, 'Ultimate Planescape: Torment installation' guide should be updated.. thanks. :)

#92 -flintspike-

-flintspike-

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

so i am getting a lot of cursor trails and its drviing me insane because i found something that was suppposed to "fix" it but it didn't, i was deleting two lines

PATCH_IF( offset != (0 - 1) ) BEGIN WRITE_BYTE ( offset + 26 ) 0x02 END
ELSE BEGIN PATCH_WARN "Cursor Trail Fix Failed: patch location not found" END

Everyone else said it fixed the cursor trails yet i did it like 20 times to no avail...

#93 -(>'.')>-

-(>'.')>-

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

www.shsforums.net/topic/48732-ddraw-fix-for-slowdownsstuttering/page-5

#94 -Trachten-

-Trachten-

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

You can find the new version here: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

Works great for me, thank you!

#95 -Reza-

-Reza-

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi, aqrit.

Thanks for this incredible fix! Before finding this threat, I used to to install an older driver for my nVidia graphic card to eliminate the crashes when someone cast a spell, but the slowdowns were still there and I couldn't see some of the effects of some spells in the game. With your fix, all troubles are gone now. Again thanks.

Also, thanks for the "nopause wheel" component. I always hated the auto-pause in wheel menu. It's working great, but there is a really really slight issue with it:

It is not possible to pause/un-pause the game by clicking on the clock while wheel menu is on. I know I can simply press SPACE and it works, but I seldom use keyboard when I'm playing the game.

Also, (so many "also" ;)) I wanted to ask for another feature: Is it possible to eliminate auto-pausing while in inventory mode? like Baldur's Gate?

Thanks in advance. I will wait for your replay before starting a new game as a mage. Never played a mage before. Kinda exciting! :)

#96 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

Thanks in advance too, btw, when the new version of PS:T UI will come with ALL the fixes?

#97 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

Thanks in advance too, btw, when the new version of PS:T UI will come with ALL the fixes?

#98 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

The "nopause wheel" component was thrown together in ~30 minutes one day... It could use updating.

It may be possible to create a patch to pin the menu in the top-right corner and leave it there the whole game.

clicking on the clock

I did not know/remember this. Thanks.

eliminate auto-pausing while in inventory

probably but I'm too many projects behind...

@Felipe

I'll have the new features availble before the end of the year.

#99 -Reza-

-Reza-

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi again. :)

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't really matter, I just try to not open inventory in combat. :) I know lots of people already stated this, but, the eliminating of auto-pause in wheel mode and most importantly your fix for the graphic glitches are really really appreciated. And good to know that there is going to be a new version of Ghostdog's PS:T UI. You guys rock. I'm off to play as a mage.  :new_thumbs:

#100 -RockSteady-

-RockSteady-

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hey everyone,

So I've been trying to set up PS:T for the last couple of days. After downloading from GOG and applying all the recommended mods, I fired it up but it runs very slowly/laggy. I've tried many solutions offered on-line but it still runs laggy. My laptop is fine hardware-wise so I really don't know what the problem is. Does anyone have any ideas or any other solutions I could try? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.