Tashia Installation Process Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Epano-

-Epano-

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:39 PM

Anything I have installed in the past such as sound/ graphics updates, and the BG2 patches have been automaticlly done by the install wizard. All I had to do was click on the icon I had downloaded and then press a "next" button or "enter. I have not done a manual install before and am baffled about what to do.

I have Windows 98 and Soa/ Tob installed with the latest Tob patch. I have no other mods installed but would like Tashia in my group on my second run through the game. I am afraid of making a mistake and would like some clarification.

The instuctions for the Tashia 2.05a installation and my questions are:

1. Download the Mod and unzip it into the Baldurs gate 2 folder. I downloaded the Module into a folder i use for all my downloads for patches, etc. I use winzip to unzip the module but how to I load it in to the Baldurs Gate 2 folder?

2. Make sure you have "Include Folder Names" option turned on in Winzip. I have not found this option anywhere in Winzip, where is it?

3. Then run setup.Tashiaexe. I see the Icon for this but don't want to click it until I am am sure I did 1 and 2 above corectly.

I am in unfamiliar territory here and don't want to mess up the install. If I can't get the install right then how would I ever figure out how to uninstall it and and manually delete files etc . hehe I'm clueless. Any help appreciated and thanks to whoever did the work of bringing us this new Npc.

#2 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:49 PM

Anything I have installed in the past such as sound/ graphics updates, and the BG2 patches have been automaticlly done by the install wizard. All I had to do was click on the icon I had downloaded and then press a "next" button or "enter. I have not done a manual install before and am baffled about what to do.

I have Windows 98 and Soa/ Tob installed with the latest Tob patch. I have no other mods installed but would like Tashia in my group on my second run through the game. I am afraid of making a mistake and would like some clarification.

The instuctions for the Tashia 2.05a installation and my questions are:

1. Download the Mod and unzip it into the Baldurs gate 2 folder. I downloaded the Module into a folder i use for all my downloads for patches, etc. I use winzip to unzip the module but how to I load it in to the Baldurs Gate 2 folder?

You have to specify a path in winzip to the place where the BG2 files are kept - the directory where dialog.tlk is.

2. Make sure you have "Include Folder Names" option turned on in Winzip. I have not found this option anywhere in Winzip, where is it?

When you press extract, there should be a screen where it asks you where you want to extract it. Below, there should be a bunch of boxes which you can leave checked or unchecked. Make sure the 'Folder Names' one is checked - if you don't have this, get the latest version of Winzip (chnces are you just didn't see it - don't reinstall Winzip unless you are sure you have an obsolete version).

3. Then run setup.Tashiaexe. I see the Icon for this but don't want to click it until I am am sure I did 1 and 2 above corectly.

I am in unfamiliar territory here and don't want to mess up the install. If I can't get the install right then how would I ever figure out how to uninstall it and and manually delete files etc . hehe  I'm clueless. Any help appreciated and thanks to whoever did the work of bringing us this new Npc.

Chances are you did it right - the only thing I am not sure of is if you extracted to the right directory. Try installing it - if it doesn't find the files, it will give you an error; it won't install if you did it wrong.

#3 -Epano-

-Epano-

Posted 19 September 2002 - 09:52 PM

Thanks Althernai for the help. I tried but got an error. I am not extracting it to the right place and probably not in the right way. How am I supposed to know this?

Anyway, I right clicked the Tashia 205 icon, and selected "extract to". The screen came up asking where to, ( and yes the "folder names" box was checked, I just never made it to this screen previously) then I typed "Baldurs Gate 2 as the destination. I guess this was too general because the black box came up and said amoung other things,

Error: Unable to find DIALOG.TLK in
DIALOG.TLK

Please run this program in your main Baldur's gate 2 directory.

Error: Failure ("unable to find DIALOG.TLK")

So, I just flat don't know how to do this, the author did not consider someone like me when they wrote the instructions for installation. They must have assumed everyone knew how to do this. Unfortunately I must be the one in a million that does not. I do appreciate their hard work and realize this is free, I just need a few pointers on how to install this.

#4 -Epano-

-Epano-

Posted 20 September 2002 - 01:00 AM

Never mind all i got it. I'm not used to doing this stuff, but it was simple and took 15 minutes once I got going on it.

I guess I'm the happy winner of this month's Darwin Award.

#5 -WillieStyle-

-WillieStyle-

Posted 26 September 2002 - 10:07 PM

Hi. I am having trouble installing this mod. My machine is running Windows Me.

I made sure several times that the folder names button was selected when extracting the files using winzip.

However, I still get the following error message:

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Setup-Tashia.exe] WeiDU version 42
[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Setup-Tashia.exe] registry path

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY IN:
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA
ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in your main BGII directory")

I am totaly at a loss because I extracted all the files into my main BGII directory and hit the exe file labeled Setup-Tashia
Could someone please help.

#6 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 27 September 2002 - 05:45 AM

Can you verify that chitin.key IS in your BG2 directory? If it's not, your game shouldn't function.

#7 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 06:38 AM

Hi. I am having trouble installing this mod. My machine is running Windows Me.

I made sure several times that the folder names button was selected when extracting the files using winzip.

However, I still get the following error message:

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Setup-Tashia.exe] WeiDU version 42
[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Setup-Tashia.exe] registry path

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY IN:
C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA
ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in your main BGII directory")

I am totaly at a loss because I extracted all the files into my main BGII directory and hit the exe file labeled Setup-Tashia
Could someone please help.

What is your main directory, sir? :)

I had that error once, because my BG2 directory is D:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA :)

Even then, though.... it should still work? ;_;

Oh well, try using the newest WeiDU, sir...? ?:)
Is kitty :)