Kova lags the hell out of me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Windstrider

Windstrider
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

Hi Zyraen and other forum friends,

Been playing thru the BTL and I have to say...I am very impressed with the writing of it. Zyraen do you major in English literature or something? 'cos there were many incidences when I think "damn thats beaufitul English" - and that says a lot, considering personally I don't really see English as a particularly beautiful language...

Anyway, theres this super annoying problem which I can't seem to overcome. I tried search for similar topics but to no avail...

Problem is: as I progress along the quest to prove Kova's innocence and Renal's quest, the game smootheness will gradually deteriorate - culminating at the point when I had to re-enter Maevar's stronghold to finish him off when I handed Renal the damning evidence. At this point, the game lag is almost unbearable - stuttering every 0.5s.

Here's the thing: the only way I found to totally remove the lag is to kill Kova... either let him get killed or ctrl-Y him. The moment he stops breathing, the game reverts back to the enjoyable smoothness that it should be. But as soon as I revive him, the super-lag comes back to haunt me. I tried stripping bare of Kova's item, down to his two personal items ofcourse (since they can't be removed...). But the problem still persists. (NOTE: of-course...kicking K&K out of the part also removes the lag)

I have a hunch that its the robe and/or dagger thats causing the lag...but no way to prove it since I can't remove it from inventory.

Removing some containers off from my party's inventory helps alleviate the problem, but it becomes irrelevant after the "culminating point" - see above.

People, please help! (Weidu log attached)

Attached Files

Edited by Windstrider, 24 July 2011 - 05:21 AM.

#2 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

Thank you for the compliment, glad you enjoyed playing through the mod. I'm not educated in English Literature, in fact I'm Chinese, but I used to like English Writing a lot. In fact I'm planning / in the middle of a rewrite of BTL that may "deflower" some of the language (pun intended) to make it simpler and more natural while (hopefully) maintaining its beauty / multi-layers meanings.

===================

The Robe & Dagger Script runs continually, and there's no reason to assume that it would become worse in the Docks / Mae'Var area.
Meantime, consider if he has the Stutter Bug in other areas apart from Docks areas?

Alternatively, if Kova is doing something that continually makes him visible, he may stutter trying to become invisible. Just stop doing whatever it is that makes him visible, that should be fine.

Also try killing/Ctrl-Y Kiyone to see if that stops the stutter bug. If that stops the Stutter Bug, it could just be due to the script that makes the two of them try to "interact". If that's the case, a few applications of CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(60000) in AR0300 (ie the Docks main area, not in the guildhouse itself) until they talk should solve it.

BTW, I've never tried running the BTL 1.35 BWP version, so I hope its all right heh.

Edited by Zyraen, 24 July 2011 - 07:38 AM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#3 Windstrider

Windstrider
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply Zyraen. I have to agree with your decision to "deflower" the writing :P. I speak Chinese myself, so I know what you mean by the use of the word. The English is artisticly written, shows your discipline and control, but perhaps a tad out-of-place in a Forgotten Realms setting.

Anyway, back on the lag issue...I am slightly embarassed to announce that - the lag disappeared...LOL
I was grudgingly playing through the game with annoying lag after I killed Maevar. But few game-days later, it disappeared, back to smoothness. I don't even remember WHEN EXACTLY it happened...it just did...some time...

But to keep the problem in light, when the lag was still a problem:
1. it was not limited to the dock area - it happend everywhere, outdoors/indoors.
2. killing Kiyone did not help
3. I had thought that when Kova entered the guildhouse it was because he wanted to attack enemies that made him lag (while invisible). I tried isolating him outside, but the lag still emerges when my party (minus Kova) enters the guildhouse.

So ya, I will be sure to come back if this issue arises again. But in the mean time, I shall continue to have some fun with this mod. :)

#4 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

perhaps a tad out-of-place in a Forgotten Realms setting.

Lol such a kind understatement, thank you for the support.

Biowares talk a certain way, and K&K don't. That itself is horrifyingly bad, as in bad bad bad bad BAD. It may be nice on its own, but it spoils the immersion and taste of the game.

At least their PC banters are reasonably OK, not that out-of-the-BG2-World.

So yes, I will try to get rid of it in rewrite lol.

Edited by Zyraen, 25 July 2011 - 06:26 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression