Photo

Is Chloe a well balanced NPC?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you find Chloe a well balanced NPC? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find Chloe a well balanced NPC?

1. Yes, she is very well balanced and fits the game perfectly. (27 votes [32.14%])

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

2. Yes, but she becomes more powerful than other (original) NPCs. (8 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. She is a bit too mighty, but requires some tactical skills. (18 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. No, she could beat almost every other NPCs later on in the game. (10 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

5. No, she is absolutely overpowered with no disadventages at all. (21 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote

#81 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:54 PM

*Sigh* I guess I won't be getting an answer to my question.

Chloe obviously trains more than Akadi does. I mean, duhhhh. ;)

#82 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:00 PM

Ah, gotcha. I guess being the embodiement of movement and dexterity makes one get a bit lazy when it comes to keeping in shape. :D

On a more serious note, I was just curious as to whether or not Akadi's avatar stats had been taken into consideration when Chloe's dex score was chosen.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#83 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:02 PM

Yeah. She probably eats celestial potato chips and watches the mortals on her big screen scrying-pool all day, while sitting on the reclining lazy-cloud.

#84 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:06 PM

Well, thats a definte sign of ubergod powers. A scrying pool that can be hung on the wall without the water coming out. I'd always wondered what the gods did with their power when they weren't off creating races and such.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#85 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:24 AM

I hate being retoric like this but: it's a game!!!
That's why one may say "ehi 25 dex is crazy!" without really thinking to offend anyone. I took it for granted.

That said, TGM, you do insist too much.. uh... sometimes (!) :P
Lucy: no probs! ;)

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#86 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:30 AM

That said, TGM, you do insist too much.. uh... sometimes (!)

I know, I know... but this is what forces things to improve further and further.. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#87 -Dolch-

-Dolch-

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:37 AM

But you aren't forcing change; you're forcing annoyance.

#88 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:07 AM

Already noted. I was merely talking about some "cosmetics" - 22 DEX would give you the same bonuses as 25, without the feeling of unbalancing the game. It is a simple action that would stop this conversation once and for all.

well, my reply is not a recommendation, not pressing the issue, not a demand, just a very generic thought - I am 100% positive that it will never be implemented- and I am thinking of the NPC creation in general, not Chloe in particular, but use her dexterity score as an example. Say we want to create a miracle of agility...

In BG series 18 defines absolute top dexterity for a human. 19 for races with a smaller build and super-human agility (Halflings/elves).

The two points about the NPC were brought up: she is not really a pre-set race and she was trained heavily (though everybody has a ceiling, which cannot be overcome with any amount of training)

The point one in BG system (not in IWD or NWN or PST) would be nicely addressed by a dexterity score of 20 - not only she breakes the restrictions of her race, but also she is more agile than the agilest races.

The training can be addressed if she could say "focus" and bring her dexterity to 25 for a limited amount of time x numbers per day and that x would have progressed during the game...

To me, and to me only it sounds much "fair" and "balanced" than 25 innate dexterity.

#89 Darkwind

Darkwind
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:01 PM

I'm BACK!

A scrying pool that can be hung on the wall without the water coming out.

Oh, come now. All that needs to be done for that is make a local center of gravity under the surface of that water...anybody could do that. :D

#90 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, anyone can do the local gravity center, but you don't get the nice flat screen effect with that. The divine abilities come in when you create an even gravitational field across the back of the pool resulting in the ultimate godly creation: The flat screen scrying pool! :P

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#91 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:08 AM

@guest: then she gets only one or two points more for her ac. i think that doesnt qualify for a 3time/day ability.

but caedwyr has a valid argument there. :)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#92 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:52 PM

but caedwyr has a valid argument there.

Valid, but ignored.
Posted Image

#93 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:49 AM

*cry* Sniff... No one pays me any attention.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#94 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:38 AM

i do.

*hugs caedwyr and gives him a long tummy rub*
;) :)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#95 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 06:42 AM

Again, and with absolutely no offense at all, I would like you to look at the Poll results.

I think it speaks for itself.
Posted Image

#96 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:02 AM

oh oh.
*activates never-ending-flame-protection and protects maestro*
;)

#97 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:13 AM

Thanks to Schatten's enchantment, I feel much more safe now, and prepare my little spell...

a Spell Trigger full of "terrorizing complaints and disgusting critics without any merit"... :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, the counter tells everything. ;)
Posted Image

#98 -leopardmessiah-

-leopardmessiah-

Posted 13 December 2003 - 07:32 AM

Regarding her mother having a lower dexterity, remeber this is a game and her mother does not join your party, if Lucy feels that for the purposes of game balance Chloe should have 25dex (without a full AC bonus of course) that is perfectly fine. It does NOT mean that according to background she has the equivalant of 25 dex (which according to Ps:T and certain inferences about the slayer's strength, is "godlike") personnally I'd bring her down to 22 dex as I'd feel like a cheater otherwise (now isn't that ironic, cheating so you don't feel like a cheater) but I respect Lucy's decision to set it to what it is as it is OK in terms of balance, which is what this thread is about.

#99 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:56 AM

One minor point about your post leopardmessaih: according to the sourcebooks for AD&D any stat 22 and above is rated 'godlike', so even with a dexterity of 22 Chloe would have 'godlike' dexterity. Not that I am disagreeing with you. When I play a party with Chloe, I always lower her dex down to 22 to avoid the feeling of cheating.

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#100 Lucythebeast

Lucythebeast

Chloe's bitch

• Modder
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 07:31 PM

3rd Edition D&D must really scare you then... haha. 32-33 dex is "average" for an elder air elemental. :D

Save a vampire. Give blood.