Photo

First Timer here; need help installing BWP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for awhile now, and I just finally got around to making an account so...hello everybody :). I've been looking for a great RPG to play; I played the game Morrowind extensively on the PC because the mods for the game made it constantly new, fresh and exciting. After I read up about the BG series and found out just how many mods there were and just simply moseying around this site, I knew I had to try out the Baldur's Gate series!

Anyway, so there's my little intro, sorry about that. :)Onto the main part. I've been trying since about Christmas to get the Bigworld Install to correctly install, and get BGT and a few small mods working and get everything set up...but i've encountered problem after problem after problem after problem...and I was wondering if I could get some help.

I've been attempting to follow the instructions on a lot of guides out there, but they're all so...criss-crossed; the links the help-me's direct you to are outdated. One guide by a fellow named Leomar was good, except the download link towards the end stated that even the newest version of "Bigworld Setup" was outdated, and not to use it. That was the closest I came to getting it correct.

So far here are some of the issues i've had to battle out; I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, and purchased the 4-in-1 Box set of BG1, SOTC, BG2, TOB, if that helps:

Contrary to what the Megamod help FAQ at the very top of this thread says, do NOT install all the official patches, only the patches for the expansion packs. You will be unable to even run the game without touching a mod.

"C:\Games\Baldur's Gate" and "C:\Games\BGII - SoA" will work perfectly fine, but like a few threads have stated around here when I attempt to run the Bigworld Installer, it keeps trying to find it in the Program Files directory.

Beyond that, I had a certain few files missing from BG1 that I was apparently missing that didn't install -- another fellow here had the same problem, this post here: http://www.shsforums...-into-an-issue/ he thankfully uploaded the files I too was missing.

Now i'm at the point where i've created quick saved games on BG1/BGII SOA/BGII ToB, everything is installed fine, (I installed a resolution mod as well) but when I run the Bigworld Installer, I get an enormous amount of errors. I'm sad to say that the cmd prompt flashes by far too quickly for me to grab the screen, but a lot of the errors I get are along the lines of "Cannot map input TIF" or something of the sort...and at the very end of the lengthy ~30 minute installation, it says it cannot install BGT.

Now when I initially attempted to install Bigworld, it said I had 3 mods missing that I needed to download: txtmusic, BGT, and fixpack, I believe they were. I downloaded them, in addition to a few others that I placed into my BGII - SoA directory, and I continued to install the mods and do <R> Repeat checks on Bigworld Installer untill it found all of them.

The mods I installed in addition to the three above were:

Assassinations
Banterpack
De'Arnice
Dungeon Crawl
Imoen
Keto
Saelith
Sheena
Tashia Remix
Unfinished Business
Widescreen

I know for sure Imoen didn't install correctly; it said it was found but when I attempted to install the mods, as the screen flashed by it said it could not find certain Imoen files.

Anywhere, this is where I now stand; i've condensed the headaches of a good number of hours into wee times in the morning in this little thread. Bigworld Install does not seem to want to install BGT, and it just feels like every persons' guide to setting this up contradicts anothers, or their download links' instructions, or the versions are vastly out of date.

I would really appreciate if I were able to get some help sorting this all out, I'd really like to try this jewel out :). Thanks a ton, everyone! Happy to be here!

Edit: If it helps, i'm about to wipe Baldur's Gate and perform a clean full install, and patch the expansion packs of BG1/2. From there, I assume I once more make saved games?

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 27 December 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#2 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'll just link to a post from a few days ago: click

BWP pdf + this thread contain all you really need to know.

#3 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Im in no way the person to answer this, but I can tell you a few things I did (Im new as well) that took me awhile to figure out.. First I DID NOT install anything on my own, I let BWP do it..all of it, as it knows the correct order. what I did for things like the BG2 patch mod and the wide screen mod was install them into a blank folder on my desktop (you will get a dialog not found error) however the correct files and folders will extract, then I copied them into the BG2 folder, (I did this for all exe only files) Then I ran BWP Install and it found everything ok and installed everything itself ok...when I did it the way you are doing.. installing before BWP I could not finish a install either til I did what I mentioned above.

Now I have no idea if the above is correct or not, but it seemed to work fine for me and the widescreen mod and BG2 fix file and all other mods like that seemed to install just fine. Anyway hope that helps and I didnt just mis lead you.. Just telling you how I did it :)

PS I also had the problem of missing files and found them in that thread as well.

EDIT: Opps Quester beat me to it, ignore me lol he knows far more then I ever will as he helped me!

Edited by ShadowTek, 27 December 2011 - 04:29 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:
1. FAQ for the Megamods The Main Megamod FAQ
2. BiG World Project The Mega Mod Installer
3. BWP Mod List The most up to date Mod list for BWP installs

Cool Stuff:
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy - This mod alows you to play BGI in the BG ToB engine
2. Throne of Bhaal Extender This mod adds new functions to BGT games
3. All Infinity Animations Mods This mod adds new animations to the game.
4. Widescreen Mod This mod allows you to play BGT in widescreen mod
5. Generalized Biffing This mod will speed up your game allot

#4 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, guys! I just finished re-installing/patching BG and BGII and their expansions. (And this time I made backup! :D). Wow, I didn't know there was a .pdf either...i'm sure this will come in handy!

Shadowtrek (And Quester too--you both know far more than I :) ), as far as the .exe only mods go, you only need to run them to get the necessary files, and then drag/drop the produced files into our BGII - SoA folder?

Also, the widescreen, andBWPTools BWPInstallpack, BWPFixpack, BWPBork/Trimpack and BWPTextpack LDitems...do I have these placed in the BGII - SoA directory as well? And if so, is there any certain order I "install" these in? (I.e. run the fixpack before installpack, etc.) And if so, do I get all my mods into the folder before running the fixpack/textpack? Also, I'm not quite sure where to find the BG2 fix file you mentioned :(.

I'm just a bit confused on the grand order of everything ><...but I feel like since I've just installed everything, should these be my next steps?

1) Start and create saved games for BGI, BGII SoA, BGII ToB
2) Download all desired mods from the .pdf list and put them into BGII - SoA Folder
2.a)A sub question about 2)...if I run unzip a mod and it has multiple folders inside folders, do I just drag all files in all of them and put them all on the base BGII - SoA directory level?
3) Download BWPTools/InstallPack/Fixpack/Trimpack/Textpack, place inside BGII - SoA Folder
4) Run BWP Installer? Or Fixpack first? Or Trimpack? ><

I have to leave for a couple hours but when I get back I plan to mull over this beast of a .pdf and see whats compatible and whats not. Also, please feel free to correct my (most likely) wrong little numerical checklist :). Thanks again guys for helping me out -- I appreciate it a bunch! :D

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 27 December 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#5 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

Hey again guys, I haven't gotten to spend as much time on this as I'd have liked, but i'm attempting to make progress--attempting to word for word do as the .pdf says. I assume I can leave out the part about Bigworld Setup, since as the thread you've nicely linked Quester, it is no longer being updated--and simply go to the addressed .eu link and manually download the mods i'd like?

Also, are the trimpack and textpacks needed? The .pdf makes no mention, so I am not too certain..

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 28 December 2011 - 01:48 AM.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

..do I have these placed in the BGII - SoA directory as well? And if so, is there any certain order I "install" these in?

Yes, you place everything in the game folder and you run the BiG World Install.bat and it will install everything you need.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

..do I have these placed in the BGII - SoA directory as well? And if so, is there any certain order I "install" these in?

Yes, you place everything in the game folder and you run the BiG World Install.bat and it will install everything you need.

Alright, thank you Jarno! Erm..have I messed up this order then? I have already manually installed the Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx) Beta 0021, and the Bigworld Fixpack. (The .cmd prompt opened, and I replied <I>nstall and <N>o to the components as per the .pdf)

Am I not supposed to run these .bat files, just drag all files in?

And, does the BiG World Install.bat install everything in the appropriate order?

Edit 1:Also..concerning the Bigworld Fixpack and Baldurdash...should I go with one over the other? I read that BGT relies on some fixes made in other mods...so i'm not sure if choosing one over the other will effect anything..

Edit 2:
Scrolling through the http://kerzenburg.ba....eu/bwpmods.php Website, I noticed that the "BiG World Trimpack" link leads to "Trimpack v9.1.1" if you click on go to website..however, when you press download, it downloads "BiG World Borkpack v10.2.1" Is there a difference, and is there one I should choose over the other?

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 28 December 2011 - 04:10 AM.

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

The BiG World Install.bat will install all you need, as the .bat's can run other .bat files, if it needs to.
So after you have installed the game, started the game and made backups... extract everything to the game folder, run the "BiG World Install.bat", AND DO NOTHING ELSE.

Edit 1:Also..concerning the Bigworld Fixpack and Baldurdash...should I go with one over the other? I read that BGT relies on some fixes made in other mods...so i'm not sure if choosing one over the other will effect anything..

Well, the BWP needs the BG2 Fixpack and the BWP Fixpack. The Baldurdash - WeiDU is optional component for most parts and the BiG World Fixpack adjusts it a lot so it works like it does... ... meaning that you can use all of them.

Edit 2:

The trimpacks new name is Borkpack... because it's not made by the same maker...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 28 December 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#9 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

The BiG World Install.bat will install all you need, as the .bat's can run other .bat files, if it needs to.
So after you have installed the game, started the game and made backups... extract everything to the game folder, run the "BiG World Install.bat", AND DO NOTHING ELSE.

Well, the BWP needs the BG2 Fixpack and the BWP Fixpack. The Baldurdash - WeiDU is optional component for most parts and the BiG World Fixpack adjusts it a lot so it works like it does... ... meaning that you can use all of them.

Edit 2:

The trimpacks new name is Borkpack... because it's not made by the same maker...

Thank you for the replies and bearing with me through all of this :)! I just finished setting up the IA folder...that was a little more than a pain to get everything extracted. So many individual files :(.

All I believe I have left to do now is begin extracting all my mods into the SoA folder (Figuring out which alone to download took awhile); when I get time later in the day i'll try and report some progress.

Edit:
Actually, sorry guys..i've got a quick question before I even start. Some of these mods come in a couple different formats...some contain just the setup-*modname*.exe, and the *modname*folder, while others are just *modname*exe....like the Baldurdash mod. Do I need to run these mods that come in .exe form first to bring them into a setup.exe and a folder style first? Or will the BiG World install.bat automatically install the mods, regardless of the format?

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 28 December 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#10 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

I don't know about the Baldurdash mod as I didn't use it, but for the widescreen mod (widescreen-v3.05.exe), BG2 fixpack (bg2fixpack-v9.exe), and other exe only files, I ran them on my desktop and installed them into a empty folder (Don't run in the BGII folder or it will install it) and the exe extracts everything into the blank folder (IE the install folder and the .tp2 file) Then Id copy over to the BG2 folder

Edited by ShadowTek, 28 December 2011 - 11:12 AM.

My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Actually, sorry guys..i've got a quick question before I even start. Some of these mods come in a couple different formats...some contain just the setup-*modname*.exe, and the *modname*folder, while others are just *modname*exe....like the Baldurdash mod. Do I need to run these mods that come in .exe form first to bring them into a setup.exe and a folder style first? Or will the BiG World install.bat automatically install the mods, regardless of the format?

The .exe's are just self extracting archives... in .exe format, all of them can be opened like ShadowTek said to independent folder and then copied over to the game folder, or you can use the WinRAR to open most of them and extract to the game folder...

#12 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

The .exe's are just self extracting archives... in .exe format, all of them can be opened like ShadowTek said to independent folder and then copied over to the game folder, or you can use the WinRAR to open most of them and extract to the game folder...

Doh! Good to know, I didn't know you could open them with winrar...
My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#13 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Jarno; that's cleared up a lot for me! I've been slowly but surely getting all of these mods ready for installing. Here's to hoping that it works! And I did the same Jarno, so don't worry :P .

#14 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

Good Luck!!
My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#15 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Good Luck!!

Thank you!!!

Well, phew...after hours, here was the final result of installing 118 mods:

It installed perfectly, except for one instance! :

Restored Prologue Textscreen Music was not installed

Improved Horns of Valhalla (not compatible with Item Revisions)
Spell-50 (conceptually not compatible with Spell Revisions;
may not be compatible with Improved Summons)

This was the only mod that couldn't install, so overall I would consider it a great success! However..I'm not sure how to fix this little nuisance..
Edit, i'm about to post a list of the current mods I have installed, so if I don't reply for 30 minutes or so, give me a little lee-way :D

Mod List: Note this is only Alphabetically for ease of reading
Alternatives-v10
Amber-v2.6
angelo-v4
auren-v7.2
BDash168
bg1npcmusic-v5
bg1npc-v20
BG1UB_v12
bg2_tweaks-v9
bg2fixpack-v9
coran_friendship-v3
crossmodbg2-v14
DEFJAM_v6
fadingpromises-v6
KitanyaSoAv6-4
kivan-v13
lucy-v4a
murneth-v10
RE_v5
refinements_windows_3.30
SolaufeinFlirtPackV11
spell_rev-v3
tbquest_windows_2.05
TOD-v3.3.3 (Tower of Deception)
Weimer-SolaufienMod-v104
widescreen-v3.05
XanBG2Voice_v2
BGTNEJ_v1.1_
BiG World Prokback v10.2.1
BiG World Fixack v10.3.5
BiG World Installpack v10.3.3
BP_Balancer_v0.33c_beta
Tethyr_Forest_Patch_3b
1Sylm
AdalonsBlood-v10
Ajantis_BGII_Beta0220
AjantisBG1_v4
AjocMod_v1.6.5
Assassinations_v8
BanterPacksV12_plain
bgqe-v7
BW_Herbs
deArniseV3
DungeonCrawl_v5
Eilistraee's Song v3.1
GBThfKp_v2.20
GRoA_v2
hammers-v3
HRD_V7
iiKeyNames(02)
Innershade v5.1
JA_BGT_Tweak-1.5
JansQuest1.42c
JondalarFix
KelseyNPCv21
KelseyTOBV22
Keto-SOAv3
Korgan_8
lightmaps1.3
LuxleySoA_v1_1
mapnames-v2
Nathaniel_v4_2
NPCFlirtV102
RoT2
SirinesCalls_v10
slandor.1.6
Tales of the Deep Gardens v9.2
Tales_of_Anegh-2.2
tgc1e_bgt
tsoaV1_5
TTSQ_v7
UnfinishedBusiness-v19
Varshoon v4.2
Xan_v9
XanBG1Friend_v6
1pp_avatars_v3
1pp_v2.70_windows
Alora1_3
BGSpawn_v1_10
BGT112-Install
BGTTweak_v9
Bonehillv275a
bp-bgt-worldmap-v901
contain_v3
crefixer_v2
CtBv1.13a
DrizztSaga_v2.0
DSotSC_v215
dwarven_female_avatars_APP1010
emad_v6
fft_v1
FinchNPCv3_plain
freeact-v2
iepbanters_v4
Imoen-v1202Full
IndiraNPC_v10_4_BGT
ktweaks_v106
LostItems_vR2
mazzy_v2
NTotSC_v170a
NTotSC_v171
PlanarSphereMod26c
Saerileth_v15
shs_soundsets_v2
SoSv1.13
tashia_remix_v1.3
TDDv1.14
ThalantyrItemUpgrade_v3.7
the_bigg_biff
THEONNEDRIZZTv1.3
TobEx_Beta0021
TS_BPv6.10
Turambar_fixes_tweaks
TxtMusic_v7d
viconiafriendship_v3.1
Yasraena_v12
yoshimofriendship_v3

Wooo, and that's the list...if ya'll need clarification on what any of these mods are, just let me know :).

Edited by VxKhamulxV, 28 December 2011 - 08:44 PM.