Photo

BWP Install options

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hi ok, ive read allot here, but if someone could explain in simple terms what the difference is in choosing either a standard install vs Expert install vs Tactical install is in a BWP install.

I have downloaded a lot of mods, I tried to stay with only "R" and "S" mods but I have one or two "E" mods, I avoided all "T" mods.. Im installing using "E" (Expert) but no clue if thats correct or not.. In very simple terms.. could someone explain how to know which install you should use without pointing to a existing complicated thread.. (that BWP PDF is too confusing) as Ive seen most of them.. and as Im a idiot I guess.. can someone simply tell me what I should use please?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: On a side note as Im currently in the middle of the expert install.. a few mods Im seeing are not being installed, for example the wizard slayer rev mod was not installed it said due to errors, I guess thats fine as if theres errors.. it wasnt installed, but I wonder if its because I picked the expert install.. there so far are a few mods that were not installed for that reason..

Edited by ShadowTek, 28 December 2011 - 02:39 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:
1. FAQ for the Megamods The Main Megamod FAQ
2. BiG World Project The Mega Mod Installer
3. BWP Mod List The most up to date Mod list for BWP installs

Cool Stuff:
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy - This mod alows you to play BGI in the BG ToB engine
2. Throne of Bhaal Extender This mod adds new functions to BGT games
3. All Infinity Animations Mods This mod adds new animations to the game.
4. Widescreen Mod This mod allows you to play BGT in widescreen mod
5. Generalized Biffing This mod will speed up your game allot

#2 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

OK.. My new BWP install has finished, this is what it says (Using expert install)

Posted Image

It was a successful install :)
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#3 mr fantastic

mr fantastic
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hi ok, ive read allot here, but if someone could explain in simple terms what the difference is in choosing either a standard install vs Expert install vs Tactical install is in a BWP install.

I have downloaded a lot of mods, I tried to stay with only "R" and "S" mods but I have one or two "E" mods, I avoided all "T" mods.. Im installing using "E" (Expert) but no clue if thats correct or not.. In very simple terms.. could someone explain how to know which install you should use without pointing to a existing complicated thread.. (that BWP PDF is too confusing) as Ive seen most of them.. and as Im a idiot I guess.. can someone simply tell me what I should use please?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: On a side note as Im currently in the middle of the expert install.. a few mods Im seeing are not being installed, for example the wizard slayer rev mod was not installed it said due to errors, I guess thats fine as if theres errors.. it wasnt installed, but I wonder if its because I picked the expert install.. there so far are a few mods that were not installed for that reason..

Well if you're doing an Expert version...than good luck :lol:
Expert version is for people familiar with Infinity Engine, can solve many issues on their own and been around for a while....by choosing an Expert verion you have 100% of chance a getting in to some serious bugs....although in your case as you only have 2 E mods it might not be such a tragedy but still, you can be sure that you'll bump in to some trouble because of these.

What install to choose depends really on what you expect from your megamod game. If you want maximum ammount of adventure and a difficulty challenge(as it uses some tactical changes etc) but not many bugs than you go for tactical, which is really recommended for experienced players.

Actually if I may I'll give you Leomar's explenation :)

BGT Minimal-version
This minimal installation is very easy and fast done. You don't need anything to know about the BG mods. Install this version to play BG1 with the BG2 game engine until the end of ToB. We recommend this version to gamers, who has not played BG, yet. Only the BiG World Setup will offer this version and it depends on the Standard-version. The following mods will be installed with this version:
BG2 Fixpack, Baldur's Gate Trilogy and Restored Textscreen Music with the Language Pack.

Recommend-version
The recommend mods depends on recommendations from gamers and modders from different BG game forums. This version is a small megamod and a solid basis. This version alone gives you much new game-experience and content and if you wish you can add some more of your lovely choosen mods to it. Only the BiG World Setup will offer this version and it depends on the Standard-version. The mods for this version are marked green in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.

Standard-version
Herewith you can install all mods which have not an absurd degree of difficulty or known bugs. You can take all these Standard-mods or choose the ones, you like. The Install.bat installs only the mods you have extracted into the BG2 main directory. The mods for this version are marked green and blue in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.

Tactic-version
With this installation you can add mods and components to the Standard-version that make above all the fights with the enemies more difficult and, therefore, are thought for experienced gamers. The mods for this version are marked orange in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.

Expert-version
This version tries to fathom the feasible and includes all available mods of the Standard- and the Tactic-version and additional the mods, which are bugged at the moment. You have a 100% chance of running into bugs and/or CTDs (crash to desktop). The mods for this version are marked grey in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.

That's from BWS but I think it sums up all pretty well, if you ignore customization :rolleyes:
(although you can edit the batch file :lol: and customize your mods yourself...on your own risk :P
regards
I wanted infravison like the elves...But 'tis more than just taking their eyes

-Xzar

#4 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Ugg.. damn ok thanks for that info.. I'll rebuild my BWP setup and re do it based on standard.. cause if I am 100% gonna hit errors, I'll have no idea on how to fix them.. Thanks for the basic simple explanation :)

EDIT: (Deleted my new BWP install.. starting over) If I accidentally have a expert mod in the bg2 folder will it ignore it if I use standard install?

Edited by ShadowTek, 28 December 2011 - 06:27 PM.

My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#5 VxKhamulxV

VxKhamulxV
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Ugg.. damn ok thanks for that info.. I'll rebuild my BWP setup and re do it based on standard.. cause if I am 100% gonna hit errors, I'll have no idea on how to fix them.. Thanks for the basic simple explanation :)

EDIT: (Deleted my new BWP install.. starting over) If I accidentally have a expert mod in the bg2 folder will it ignore it if I use standard install?

/hugs Don't leave me on newbie boat alone just yet, Tek :P

#6 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

Yes.