DSotSC Dark Side Beta Release

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

The new version of DSotSC is now available for everyone who wants to test it, as well as for normal use.

It would be very useful if someone could test the most recent version inside a BWP expert installation.

ATTENTION: For reasons depending on Weidu and my plans for the next updates, I had to change the number of the core component.
For this reason, if you want to install this version using the BWP installer, you must edit it accordingly: inside the .bat file, look for DSotSC, and replace the number 0 with 5 in the list following; you must also delete the DSotSC folder from both the BWP fixpack and Trimpack.

If you have an older (or beta) version installed, you will need to uninstall it first, and only then install this version. Also, be sure to delete the old .tp2 located inside your game folder before installing the new version; the .tp2 shall now reside inside the DSotSC folder.
The uninstallation of the old component should be done automatically if you have a beta from v216 already, but can break the game if you still had v215 or below, and use the [R]e-install option.

If you want to install this mod, it's recommended that you choose NOT to BIFF the new game resources when installing BGT; the DS biffing utility will biff the BGT files too, but otherwise files modified by DSotSC would be biffed twice (resulting in an increase of the disk space used).

Please let me know if you have problems, suggestions, or other observations (well, please also tell me if it works for you...).
In particular, if anyone tests any language different from English, please let me know if character encoding is correct.

New features:
RC 2 : Fixed a problem with some spawns not occurring due to some GLOBAL variables being localized; enabled the option to look for the required binaries inside the system path; Italian soundset for TUTU is now completely translated
RC : Russian and Spanish translations updated; Core component number modified for future updates.
beta6: fixes the problems reported by Anomaly (thanks!)

- Bugs fixed: Zombie lord did not attack; Bardo's script, if you did not accept that he joined the party, caused him to follow any cleric, druid, bard or person using a longbow he could see.

- Some plot characters spawned in hidden positions in Nashkell; have been moved to more visible places

Spoiler

Since 215:
1. DSotSC can now be installed on every platform, including Linux/Unix and OS X.
2. The biffing routine does not require an external batch script, so it's less likely to fail, and much quicker.
3. The biffing is now divided into two parts: Areas and sounds are biffed automatically; there is an extra component which biffs the whole override folder. Use it if you plan to use DSotSC alone, don't if you are installing other mods on top (in that case, you'd better install Generalized biffing in the end).
4. Bug fixes: This version includes all fixes from the BWP fixpack and Turambar fixes and tweaks, and some new ones, too.
5. Optional components have been traified
6. Some other code improvements
edit: version 216 has been released; topic closed.

Edited by Turambar, 19 April 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#2 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

It does not install (in English) on my configuration. Ubuntu 11.10 32-bits, WeiDU installed system-wide, BG2 french, BGT 1.14 biffed installed in french.

Spoiler

Converting audio files...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[dsotsc/bash.debug] loaded, 69 bytes
Copied [dsotsc/bash.debug] to [dsotsc/bash.debug] (NO BACKUP MADE!)
/tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
FAILURE:
Error decoding CUCH18.OGG
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR Installing [DSotSC for BGT-Weidu], rolling back to previous state

edit by Turambar: please use spoiler tags when you post 2000 lines of debug file, or attach the file.
I've highlighted the error

Edited by Turambar, 02 February 2012 - 05:47 AM.
edited for clarity

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#3 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

With new TP2, same error.

Spoiler

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#4 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

That's pretty strange:

Converting audio files...

file = dsotsc/ogg/cuch18.ogg & dest = dsotsc/bif/cuch18.wav
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[dsotsc/bash.debug] loaded, 222 bytes
Copied [dsotsc/bash.debug] to [dsotsc/bash.debug] (NO BACKUP MADE!)

/tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
/tmp/dsotsc/oggdec -Q dsotsc/ogg/cuch18.ogg -o dsotsc/bif/cuch18.wav 2>&1 | tee dsotsc/bash.debug
dsc006.tis
dsc007.tis
dsc009.tis
dsc035.tis
dsc037.tis

the line I highlighted is the exact command which is sent to the shell.
You will probably not have oggdec inside your /tmp folder; could you try the following?
1- copy dsotsc/unix/bin/oggdec to /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec and make it executable
2- Create a directory dsotsc/bif
3- execute exactly the command I highlighted, from the dsotsc folder.

Is there a file inside dsotsc/bif?

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#5 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Ok, I know what's wrong. You ship a 64-bits version of oggdec, but my Ubuntu is 32-bits, so it cannot run.

$ /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec -Q dsotsc/ogg/cuch18.ogg -o dsotsc/bif/cuch18.wav 2>&1 | tee dsotsc/bash.debug
bash: /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: cannot execute binary file

$ file /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec
/tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

$ uname -m
i686

#6 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

Ok, I know what's wrong. You ship a 64-bits version of oggdec, but my Ubuntu is 32-bits, so it cannot run.

$ /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec -Q dsotsc/ogg/cuch18.ogg -o dsotsc/bif/cuch18.wav 2>&1 | tee dsotsc/bash.debug
bash: /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: cannot execute binary file

$ file /tmp/dsotsc/oggdec
/tmp/dsotsc/oggdec: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

$ uname -m
i686

I was so sure it was 32bit...
Could you please send me a 32 bit oggdec? check if you already have it in /usr/bin. Otherwise, I'll try to find one later

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#7 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

I will check this. I will especially check that the Ubuntu executable is not dynamically linked with libs other than the libc, otherwise it won't be portable. If it's dynamically linked, I will manage to compile my own static-linked version and send it to you.

#8 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Could you please test this oggdec executable?

Edited by Turambar, 03 February 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#9 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Ok, this executable is 32-bits, dynamically linked to the Vorbis librairies, but it seems to work out of the box on Ubuntu without having to install the "vorbis-tools" package (which officially contains the oggdec executable). With your file, I could install Dark Side of the Sword Coast fully. ;)

#10 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Beta 2 is now up! The German translation is now up to date; only Polish and Russian are still not up to date and will use some English strings instead, but work is in progress...

Please let me know if it works, or if you have any issues.

@anomaly: I should have put the correct oggdec file now; please let me know.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#11 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

Beta 3 is now available!
What's new:
- Polish translation is now up!
- Russian translation will now use English strings instead of the missing or corrupted ones, allowing Russian players to still use it.

If you test it, please give me some feedback!

Edited by Turambar, 05 February 2012 - 02:27 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#12 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

I'm currently testing the mod (beta 2), but it will take a while since I never played it before. But I confirm that it can install now.

#13 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

Bug report : In DSC004, if you're interrupted in your sleep, you either get a swarm of zombies or a swarm of zombie lords. The zombie lords are neutral to the party.

#14 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Using Win7 x64.
First, vertest.bat should have
echo Windows NT or newer detected. Logging enabled. > dsotsc\bash.debug
instead of
echo Windows NT or newer detected. Logging enabled. > bgt\bash.debug
But even after this change I'm unable to install the mod, the debug file is attached.

Attached Files

#15 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Bug installing... spanish

Attached Files

#16 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for your reports; I think I've found and fixed the problems, so I'll upload beta 4 soon. I hope it installs fine on Windows; please post your debug file anyway.

Technical details:

Bug installing... spanish

You apparently experienced a bug only affecting old versions of Windows (98 or ME): I completely misspelled the destination of a COPY command.

Using Win7 x64.
First, vertest.bat should have

echo Windows NT or newer detected. Logging enabled. > dsotsc\bash.debug
instead of
echo Windows NT or newer detected. Logging enabled. > bgt\bash.debug
But even after this change I'm unable to install the mod, the debug file is attached.

Good catch for the .bat file, I forgot to edit it when I copied it from BGT.
Concerning the error... a problem with backslashes: they must be escaped in both operands of REPLACE_TEXTUALLY

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#17 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

That's strange... I've got Win XP SP3...

And about this? COPY + ~inlined/placeholder.txt~ ~inlined/bash.debug~

Edited by Lisandro, 06 February 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#18 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Could be related to the error ScuD reported about vertest.bat.

Anyway, beta 4 is now available, and should fix those Windows-specific errors.
Please let me know if it works, now!

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#19 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

No attachment in the first post.

#20 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

No attachment in the first post.

I'm uploading it, I had to fix one more thing with oggdec

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSotSC, Dark Side, Beta, Release