Comments on BGEE & BG2EE News

• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#1021 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Interesting, thank you!  I hope the dialogue is good.

And are Blackwyrm folks developing it?  Or are any of other modders participating?  Sorry for the barrage of questions; it's just it's good news and I'm naturally curious(if this info is open).

#1022 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

GeN1e was taking a jab at Blackwyrm Lair, not actually implying they are going to be working on the product. They are definitely not. :)

#1023 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have to say, I didn't really expect people to fall for it :D

Sorry, I know it's six days late to post this :)

Retired from modding.

#1024 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yes, well, I really didn't look at the date. 1st of April: continuing the finest modding traditions! :) And it fit so well with the forum opening, too. What can I say? I am gullible.

Seriously, though, looking forward to this expansion - Neera's new area was professionaly done(although choosing the generic fat man for that wizard seemed silly). As long as the writing's good

#1025 effla

effla
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

The question is, BG enhanced edition will be compatible with BWP or BGT?

"Eristik wäre demnach die Lehre vom Verfahren der dem Menschen natürlichen Rechthaberei. Die angeborene Eitelkeit, die besonders hinsichtlich der Verstandeskraft reizbar ist, will nicht haben, dass was wir zuerst aufgestellt haben sich als falsch und das des Gegners als Recht ergebe"

#1026 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

The question is, BG enhanced edition will be compatible with BWP or BGT?
Erhm, a question actually starts with an interrogative word...
But it's likely that the BWP won't be featuring BG2:EE. At least when it's launched.
And no, you can't use the BGEE to create a BGT game...
But it could be that if Ascension64 get's his hands on the BG2EE and BGEE, the BGT could have a BGTEE out in short order...

Edit: yes it's clear that this is war... so, I'll bring in the big guns, self editing of a previous post to answer to the following messages to prove I am actually; right in what I post....
BGEE doesn't need a definite article ("the") in front of it, as there is only one of its type, just as it makes no sense to put an indefinite article ("a") in front of it. It's like saying "the Jarno". Just so you know....
Erhm, but in this specific case it actually does need the "the" word as to not confuse it with the other BG-products there is. Why, because it's used to specify something. The sentence would lose a lot of it's significance, as it would if we removed the "a" article from the front of the "BGT" word.
Cut effla some slack, Jarnor, not everyone is a native English speaker or completely fluent. They should at least get points for trying. :) What he/she meant is "will BG:EE be compatible with BWP and/or BGT?"
I would if I was a native English speaker myself, but I am not, and usually this sort of short changing is actually made by the native writers themselves.

Edited by The Imp, 14 May 2013 - 04:25 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1027 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Cut effla some slack, Jarno, not everyone is a native English speaker or completely fluent.  They should at least get points for trying.  :)  What he/she meant is "will BG:EE be compatible with BWP and/or BGT?"

To both of you, the discussion of BGEE mod compatibility would best be discussed in the appropriate subforum, thanks!

Edited by Eleima, 27 May 2013 - 11:33 PM.
typo

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#1028 -pacek-

-pacek-

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

...the BGEE...

BGEE doesn't need a definite article ("the") in front of it, as there is only one of its type, just as it makes no sense to put an indefinite article ("a") in front of it. It's like saying "the Jarno". Just so you know....

#1029 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

Seriously though, why is that suddenly a piece of news? Daigle posted that on twitter a month ago.

#1030 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

How are they now allowed to add content in BG2EE, and they wasn't in BGEE:crazy:

#1031 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

How are they now allowed to add content in BG2EE, and they wasn't in BGEE:crazy:

Why would you say they were not allowed to add content to BG:EE? They added three new NPCs with subquests and The Black Pits...

#1032 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, they were not allowed to change anything ... of the original content(dialog/quests etc.)

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#1033 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Why would you say they were not allowed to add content to BG:EE? They added three new NPCs with subquests and The Black Pits...

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood "adding" and "changing" like Jarno said. Although, they could then add more to BGEE...

#1034 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Please keep your comments in the comments section.  Additionally, I do not hold a monopoly on the News thread, all members are allowed to post news regarding the development of the game in the News thread.  Thanks!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#1035 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Please keep your comments in the comments section. 

Erhm, sorry about that from all of us that participated.. and thanks for the Staff'ing/moving our post and posting news. :new_thumbs:

#1036 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Despite the promises of new content, I still think it's not the best decision for BGEE developers to make BGEE(BG2EE) uncompatible with mods from the get-go.Many modders are retired, after all, and bringing all mods to BGEE/BG2EE format... well, it just sounds like lots of boring mechanical work all for nothing, be it one hour or ten hours of work. And in the end people might shrug and go play the good old Tutu/BGT, because it has mods, BWP and other juicy perks.

Just look what happened to BG:EE. Nearly each link Eleima posted had comments in the vein of "I played BG:EE, and, yeah, it's a good idea, but it crashed a lot, and it wasn't compatible with BG1 NPC". 

BGEE games are a GOOD thing, they draw new players and modders to the BG community, but I just feel that if BGEE(and later BG2EE) were immediately compatible with nearly all Tutu/BGT/BG2 mods(or maybe if we immediately received a supermagic Weidu version that'd make it so :) ), many more copies of BGEE would have been sold.

#1037 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

The thing is--how would you have made BGEE more modder friendly? Would you have gone with exact BGT resource names, or TuTu? Would you have stopped at exactly where TuTu or BGT did, depending on which platform you chose, and not continue adding improvements? 

It's not as simple as just 'making things compatible', unfortunately. There was actually a lot going on behind the scenes to make it as compatible as it is. 

I'm not saying it's as good as it could be--and if people have suggestions, seriously, voice them--but it's a difficult proposition.

That said, BG2EE will be much more compatible. The only major issues will be portraits (easy to fix) and mod journal entries, which won't work, but I'm starting to puzzle my way around that one, and hopefully soon after release we'll have a simple solution. :)

#1038 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:45 AM

Well yeah BGEE games are a good thing, too bad about them being so awful. Basically the whole project should've been scrapped when it turned out that all graphic assets couldn't be re-rendered.

#1039 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

It's good for us in the end. If someone wants to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars so that we, BG modders, have new people who appreciate our work, I'm all for that. I'm honestly, seriously, sincerely grateful.

The thing is, I don't see the inside of the engine - I can't judge/justify certain incompatibilities, why the journal entries changed or why area entries/exits changed in BGEE. (Although I would be more than happy if BGEE developers, say, paid 6000$ to the_bigg or Wisp or Cam for a month of work to create a compatibility tool/mod convertor/script/utility - it would be incredible PR, too).

I can only speak as a BG2 modder, who watches the approaching BG2EE release with some horror - like an upcoming train, I might add. Because BG2EE is in testing already, and I'm guessing there will be issues with regular BG2 mods, or Kaeloree wouldn't be asking at BGEE boards which NPC mods we' like to see compatible with BG2EE. And the developers are totally and absolutely mum about it. And I have quite a few mods to convert. 

What would I want? I'd really appreciate a thread like this at our modding forums:

"Hi, BG2 modders at SHS/G3/PPG/themoddingforumofwhatever! We're BG2EE developers, and we have news for you: BG2EE is already in testing! Would you like to make your 100500 mods compatible with BG2EE? Okay, here's a short tutorial: do ABC, then DEF, then GHIJKLMNOP. And, by the way, here're some instructions for BGEE - sorry they're a year late. If you have any questions, please visit this thread at our forums. Thank you for keeping BG2 alive!"

... I think it will help. :)

#1040 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I can only speak as a BG2 modder, who watches the approaching BG2EE release with some horror - like an upcoming train, I might add. Because BG2EE is in testing already, and I'm guessing there will be issues with regular BG2 mods, or Kaeloree wouldn't be asking at BGEE boards which NPC mods we' like to see compatible with BG2EE. And the developers are totally and absolutely mum about it. And I have quite a few mods to convert.

Only journal and portrait issues, I think. I'm more worried about backwards compatibility in the future, honestly, since things that have been fixed in BG2EE may well still be broken in BG2.