NEJ2V694 -- no idea where to report issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Since I've no idea where to report any issues with this mod, I'll do it here in the mega-mod section and mayhap someone knows where it should go and can re-direct the information.

helmla.itm

in the last and 4th ability the 1 effect present states that it is at index 15. This is wrong and will cause out of bound read errors for any subsequent mod that tries to read the file. It is actually at index 14.

this is a tp2 copy block (needs to be put inside an actual mod setup) that will fix the error in question. It is preferable to be ran immediately after all the NEJ stuff or it could be tacked onto the end of the last tp2 being used to patch NEJ Running it later may cause it to not work right as it is possible for other mods to modify the file in between without hitting the out of bound read error.
Spoiler

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#2 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

WeiDU's so awesome :D

I used your code to check for any other items with potential index stuff like that and ended up modding the BWP's creature offset checker into this monstrosity :D (mad props to the G3 Debugging Suite too :P)

Spoiler

Ran this on an extracted NeJv691 setup and this is what it caught :D

Spoiler

Could you please check if the other 3 items that it warns about have the same problem? :P

Also... I'm evil so I ran this on the folder where I've extracted the mods I usually play with :devil: And lookey lookey...

Spoiler

Edited by Lollorian, 25 April 2012 - 05:30 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#3 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

Could you please check if the other 3 items that it warns about have the same problem?

I was just mass installing stuff with the BWS beta tool to see how it would handle. Ran into an issue that I couldn't (with my knowledge) repair and go on. So I had to wipe it and start over. currently don't have NEJ in a state to look at.

To confirm those items, all you need do is open NI and count all the effects up. In the case of helmla.itm there were 11 equipping effects and 4 abilities with 1 effect each. Since it's an index the count starts at 0. the abilities then should have been 11, 12, 13, 14 but they were 11, 12, 13, 15. apparently NI & DLTECP don't warn if the index is out of bounds, they just read the next unused effect. But weidu is more strict and has to use the value that's there.

I wonder what tool is used with these items to get them in this state. Seems that either when effects are removed the index doesn't get updated, or when effects are added the index is updated based on a start of 1 rather than 0. Which could be as that's been a long standing issue with modders, using 0 for #1 is a little odd....

My working mods:

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

... apparently NI & DLTECP don't warn if the index is out of bounds, they just read the next unused effect.

So that's why I wondered why the effect seemed to show up properly in NI :D

Are ability effects ALWAYS supposed to be ordered in increasing order corresponding to the order of the abilities themselves?
Are ability effects ALWAYS found after the global effects?
And finally... can some ability use a global effect as its ability effect? :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Are ability effects ALWAYS supposed to be ordered in increasing order corresponding to the order of the abilities themselves?
Are ability effects ALWAYS found after the global effects?
And finally... can some ability use a global effect as its ability effect?

in order of the questions:

so long as the effects are properly indexed they can be in differing order... i would imagine

99.9% of the time yes. theoretically they could be before so long as everything is properly indexed

I've not heard of one doing so, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were possible to do so.

Oh you were talking about Bioware stock?
yes
yes
no

:D

My working mods:

#6 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I ran similar code, but I like to use text to make sure I'm getting it right ^^ plus I put the output into an .txt file instead of having to extract from the debug... and to save on posting weidu.logs and tracking it down etc... automatic change-log ^^

code
Spoiler

some sample results:
unmodified BG2 ToB
-- no results --

from NEJ2 only
Spoiler

note the other files you have listed are NOT in my game. must have been changed at some point between versions or I didn't include a particular component. I installed whatever the BWS beta tool said I needed.

from a 'Decent' install of mods couple big BG1 mods and smaller quest stuff
Spoiler

my original manual build of the 'decent' install above -- didn't use any BWP related stuff
Spoiler

from my big ass everything the BWS beta is willing to throw at you.
-- nothing --
(it includes the NEJv264 as above, but I'd pre-patched it prior to install)

Try it on yours and see what you get. I don't know what mods you have, but I'm surprised that I didn't get many more hits since you got a ton.

I reported the boot09.itm to Aurora. I know it was that mod cause of the change log & when you look at their code you can see it updates the equipping effects but not the ability effects.

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 27 April 2012 - 12:27 AM.

My working mods:

#7 -max-

-max-

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

When I installed recently I took out that HelmLa.item from the override folder or Dingo's All creature and area improvements wouldn't install. Put it back in afterwards and install continued ok. Don't know what that item is but I will try to fix it with your method.

Also, like you said there really is no NEJ accessible forum so lets talk about it here. :lol2:

So a couple of things I noticed-

1)The Nej Icewind Dale part can't be finished because you can't go to Dorn's Deep. This is because the component for that (I think its additional content for NEJ2) is not installed because of unsolved compatability problems. This was interesting- http://www.shsforums...ej2-version691/

It looks like Erebusant or Vlad was fixing something to make it more compatible.

2)You can get to Ulcaster fine with Hrothgar, but when you finish NEJ pt 2 go back to Ulcaster and leave you are able to travel all around BG1 map. I thought that was part of the mod until I was unable to return to BG2 areas. I ended up cluaing back to the D'arnise keep (which I had already cleaned out) and all the trolls and yuan-ti were there again. Got around this by cluaing to Eshpurta (from TDD mod) and then traveling back to City Gates, then things were normal again. Maybe the "end of bg1" global got reset or something.

3)Not sure if its part of the "additional" content component but I couldn't figure out where to start Dar's quest so left him in the Copper Coronet.

4)Hrothgar said he would wait at an inn when dropped, but couldn't find him anywhere, and I know he is supposed to disappear after a week or two. Oh well...

5)Something buggy with the Shar-teel quest. Its supposed to start on the Firkragg/Windspear Hills quest. She did have a lot of dialogues outside and inside the dungeon. Also had a lot to say to Firkragg. Then when Conster the mage is supposed to go up one level and fight you-Nothing Happened! He just stood there. When you go back up there are some tough fire elementals and that's it. So I ended up cluaing Conster to kill him and get the key to finish the quest.

Firkragg mentioned something about finding Angelo's weapons that a thief stole in a forest far to the north. Again this might be a part of additional content component because a few months of game time has gone by and nothing happened. Also there was no journal entry.

Also there was this that Erebusant was working on, too bad he hasn't been here in a long time.
http://www.shsforums...-compatibility/

That's all for now. :shifty: