Photo

DIABLO 3 MEGATHREAD (Release is tomorrow 5/15/12!)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Whatever problems they had with the servers seem to have worked themselves out. We've been playing for a few days now without getting kicked off the servers.

Dying is more convenient than it was in Diablo 2. You don't wind up back in town without your gear. Your gear just takes a 10% durability hit and you get teleported with your follower to the nearest checkpoint. Not having to pay to revive the follower is also convenient. Gold is somewhat scarcer though. I like the new crafting system. One thing I don't like is the shared stash. You don't have to keep a set of backup armor in your trunk for when you snuff it, but you are severely limited as to storage space and your stash is shared among all your characters. Which means that it's very easy to buy/find gear in one game and transfer it to another, but only for 7 items. You can buy more space, but that costs 10K gold.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#22 -Kuuchon-

-Kuuchon-

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Pirates will still find a way. Blizzards effort is wasted.

#23 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Whatever your reasons for piracy, it will always be firmly discouraged here. Piracy does not help the gaming industry, nor does it further the medium. The more pirates there are, the more the publishers will try to find safeguards for their product. There is one sensible option when faced with something as inane as the always on DRM, and it's not piracy: vote with your wallet. Don't buy it, and don't play it.

Back on topic: I'm hearing that the servers are much more accessible now that the tide following launch has somewhat subsided. It seems odd that a huge company such as Blizzard would not anticipate such a success (I mean, it's DIablo 3, for crying out loud). My theory is that they knew they had the choice between more servers and better access, or less hardware (and thus less spending) and a chaotic first couple of days. Which would ensure that people talked about it. And let's face it, even the people complaining about access still ended up playing it to death in the days that followed, because, well, it's Diablo 3.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#24 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

I have to say its more enjoyable to solo this time around then it was in D3...mostly due to the fact that your "companions" actually say stuff to you about the surrounding area you are in among many other things as well. One thing I do not like however is that...well basically no set items at all till max lvl...Not a fan of that...Also that crafting half the time always crafts you something you do not need in the slightest...

I have to say the new auction house is quite nice! However the prices are insane for most items though...Will be interesting to see how pricey items become when you can use real money to pay for them...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#25 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Crafting is no worse than it was when the blacksmith made you custom items in Diablo 2 in terms of "Great. What am I going to do with this piece of junk?". Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

And yes, I do agree that the banters do help... although I hate the autodialogue.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#26 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm a moderate fan of the series, so I'm sure I'll get this game eventually. And with this game, the whole "must have internet connection to play" thing isn't an issue to me. Diablo's a series I've rarely played offline in anyway.
(I like parentheses.)

#27 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Whatever your reasons for piracy, it will always be firmly discouraged here. Piracy does not help the gaming industry, nor does it further the medium. The more pirates there are, the more the publishers will try to find safeguards for their product. There is one sensible option when faced with something as inane as the always on DRM, and it's not piracy: vote with your wallet. Don't buy it, and don't play it.

That's the thing, the publisher's "safeguard" of requiring internet connection at all times doesn't work, because pirates aren't bothered by such measures in the least (they can easily crack the game), while regular-paying customers who see no conceivable reason for having to connect to internet to play single player are discouraged from buying the game.

In the end, the final result is a net loss of profit for the company, since piracy is not affected at all and resources were wasted in developing DRM tools, while potential customers are lost by said DRM.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#28 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

That's the thing, the publisher's "safeguard" of requiring internet connection at all times doesn't work, because pirates aren't bothered by such measures in the least (they can easily crack the game), while regular-paying customers who see no conceivable reason for having to connect to internet to play single player are discouraged from buying the game.
In the end, the final result is a net loss of profit for the company, since piracy is not affected at all and resources were wasted in developing DRM tools, while potential customers are lost by said DRM.

Hey, I'm not arguing that point, always on DRM is a bad policy. All I'm saying is that piracy is and always will be frowned upon and discouraged in these forums. ^_^
I hate always on DRM as much as the next gamer. Ask me about the time I couldn't play AC2 because my ISP decide to keel over for a few days.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#29 -AC-

-AC-

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

karma?
https://threatpost.c...-friends-052112

#30 -AC-

-AC-

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Blizzard announced today that its Battle.net service was compromised.

#31 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

So what does everyone think of D3, now a few months after release? I liked playing the game right up until the end of Hell, then the AH was on fire with gear from people farming the ass out of Inferno with overpowered classes. It ruined the game for me, I find it impossible to enjoy the game while trying to ignore the AH. If I use the AH I feel like I'm wasting my time actually playing.

I beat Inferno on a Barbarian a few weeks after release, now I log in once every 2 or 3 weeks. I don't see this game having the same longevity as its predecessors.

If this game didn't have an AH I think it would have been a much better game. Ignoring the AH I thought it played fairly well, blowing stuff up felt good, visually it was nice, if a little dark on normal brightness levels.
A knight without armour in a savage land...