Photo

Do you need to keep Drizzt in your party to do the RoT quests?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

I thought I would kick Drizzt out for a while to do other stuff, but there's no option in his leaving dialogue for him to wait somewhere, only for him to either stay or leave forever.

Can I still do the quests/access the new areas if I dump him for good?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the answer here.

Edited by AmyAE, 30 June 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

lol, finally someone publicly admits to using that method to remove Drizzt temporarily. Plus this thread Title is much better that the other. Bravo!

Yeah, it makes for a great option, as (like that thread says) you can run-around doing all kinds of other things then come back, pick up Big D, then move on to the RoT quests.

My favorite part was picking up D & Wulfgar from Hotel Irenicus, taking them with my party into/thru the Copper Coronet/Slaver quest, once finished leave Drizzt there, playing other BiG Quests with just Wulfgar+party, then coming back for D later.

From what I vaguely remember, I think it takes some other editing to that file, maybe another, to get full, trouble-free join/rejoin function. I'm gonna rummage in my old install files, see what edits I made.

Edited by Azazello, 30 June 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#3 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Editing the file for re-joining isn't a big deal; Ctrl+Q should work in a pinch. But if there's something else that can cause problems, that's good to know. In general, I just hate it when NPCs have to take their toys and sulk off home if you need their space in the party for a little while. There's no good reason why the writer can't figure out some in-character excuse to get them to wait.

#4 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Editing the file for re-joining isn't a big deal; Ctrl+Q should work in a pinch. But if there's something else that can cause problems, that's good to know. In general, I just hate it when NPCs have to take their toys and sulk off home if you need their space in the party for a little while. There's no good reason why the writer can't figure out some in-character excuse to get them to wait.

Ctrl+Q won't work in an unmodified RoT because Drizzt will run off if dropped, so you can't lasso him.

Actually there is a good reason: the modder was new to modding AND he didn't consider that other mods--especially ones with other joinable NPCs--would be an issue. RoT development began before the megamod era (but finished just-in-time to be incorporated into the method, hehee).

You don't know the history of the mod's development, so you're forgiven taking a swipe at it. :lol: No harm, no foul, though.

Here you go, mod background, direct from the source:
http://www.shsforums...or-information/

#5 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well you could put him inside "empty" house at Athkatla then remove from party. Then quickly leave the main area because sometimes NPCs follow you outside from house.

Drizzt remains safe in house while do some quests with other NPCs. Then when you ready to do Drizzt quest go into house and Drizzt rejoins.

Simple. No need to edit anything. Works without any complications. I use it a lot in ny BWP game.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#6 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Ctrl+Q won't work in an unmodified RoT because Drizzt will run off if dropped, so you can't lasso him.

Oh, I thought you meant you needed to edit something besides removing the EscapeArea in Drizzt's dialogue in order to get him to rejoin. I tested it and it works fine.

As to the issue of NPCs leaving, I was speaking generally, as this happens in a few different NPC mods. But, as it seems like the other NPCs in RoT will wait if you ask, and it's just Drizzt that's special, my point still stands. Thanks for the link, though.

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Well you could put him inside "empty" house at Athkatla then remove from party. Then quickly leave the main area because sometimes NPCs follow you outside from house.

Drizzt remains safe in house while do some quests with other NPCs. Then when you ready to do Drizzt quest go into house and Drizzt rejoins.

Simple. No need to edit anything. Works without any complications. I use it a lot in ny BWP game.

I'm glad to hear this. I've vague memory, probably of an older sub-version, that if you release Drizzt, then either he would give a parting dialogue and run away, or just run away. If this has been repaired, then great.

I'm still searching for the changes I have, it allows him to wait wherever you leave him, and later rejoin, any time you like.

#8 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm glad to hear this. I've vague memory, probably of an older sub-version, that if you release Drizzt, then either he would give a parting dialogue and run away, or just run away. If this has been repaired, then great.

I'm still searching for the changes I have, it allows him to wait wherever you leave him, and later rejoin, any time you like.

Ops :doh: I wasn't clear about it. But yes Drizzt leaves if let him talk to you when you kick him out of party. He ask about it before leaving though.

Putting him inside house prevents him to talk to you and leaving for good.

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

So here we are, only 6 months later!

Ok, I finally pulled out my old files, and this is what I think works so that you can have Drizzt wait wherever you dismiss him.

Note that this is from an earlier 2.x version, so things may have changed abit...

[1] Without having to reinstall your game:

-- Open NearInfinity (someone else can describe how to do this in Shadowkeeper)

-- on the left-hand side, expand the DLG tree

-- look for and right-click on DRIZ2P.DLG

-- choose Open in a New Window

-- in the upper-left is a tab 'Edit'; click on that

-- scroll all the way down to the bottom, there should be three Actions: 0, 1, 2 {maybe more, but it'll be obvious which to choose}

-- click on the line for Action 1, in a white box below this, you should see:

SetGlobal("DrizztKickedOut","GLOBAL",1)
EscapeArea()

Just select all of that text and replace it with:

LeaveParty()

-- similarly with Action 2:

SetGlobal("DrizztKickedOut","GLOBAL",1)
LeaveParty()
EscapeArea()

change it to:

LeaveParty()

-- click Save, bottom-right

If this is correct, when you click on him to rejoin, he'll say some dialogue and then the GUI option to rejoin will appear.

[2] To make the changes to the file BEFORE installing the mod:

-- go to the folder \RoTerror\D

-- inside find the file DRIZ2P.D

-- open it with a text editor, and make similar changes as above:

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.1
  SAY @3
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~Global("KickedOut","LOCALS",0)
HappinessLT(Myself,-290)~ THEN BEGIN 2
  SAY @4
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~LeaveParty()~ EXIT

Let us all know if this works. It'll be months before I can test/confirm this myself.

#10 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

That's an interested topic for those who are looking to add more locations and quests to their game but don't have spare slots for unwanted NPCs. I wonder if someone knows what quest of RoT are available for a party w/o Drizzt & Co., and may be what quests are easily rescripted to be available so?

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#11 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

That's an interested topic for those who are looking to add more locations and quests to their game but don't have spare slots for unwanted NPCs. I wonder if someone knows what quest of RoT are available for a party w/o Drizzt & Co., and may be what quests are easily rescripted to be available so?

I posted quest list for RoT here. There you can see which quests needs for Drizzt & Co.

#12 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

micbaldur, thanks, I've seen that thread, actually it's by your link there that I've found this one :)

Do you mean that all these quests that are not marked with (Drizzt), (Randall) and so on are available without any NPC from RoT in party? That would be super cool. And what of locations with quests you've listed: will these become available for travelling there without Drizzt & co?

#13 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

micbaldur, thanks, I've seen that thread, actually it's by your link there that I've found this one :)

Do you mean that all these quests that are not marked with (Drizzt), (Randall) and so on are available without any NPC from RoT in party? That would be super cool. And what of locations with quests you've listed: will these become available for travelling there without Drizzt & co?

Well, yes all those quests that don't have (Drizzt,Randall,Alissa,Wulfgar) are available without RoT NPCs.

As for location of those quests it's little harder but most of those quests are in RoT areas.

Questlist here:

Spoiler

RoT areas here:

Spoiler

Or do you want me spoil more about these quests? :D

#14 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Or do you want me spoil more about these quests? :D
If I decoded your list correctly, "area/who makes available/where is he at", then it's perfectly what I was looking for! Many thanks, I wasn't even hoping for such detailed layout :)
Also, it shows that RoT is like 85% friendly towards parties not accepting newcomers, something that's important to know too :)

Edited by Creepin, 11 March 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#15 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

If I decoded your list correctly, "area/who makes available/where is he at", then it's perfectly what I was looking for! Many thanks, I wasn't even hoping for such detailed layout :)
Also, it shows that RoT is like 85% friendly towards parties not accepting newcomers, something that's important to know too :)

Yes you coded my list right.

Yes most of the quests don't require RoT NPCs. Sadly though you are miss biggest quest and some areas if you don't do Drizzt's quest.

Happy gaming and if you need some help with those quests maybe i can some hints. ;)