Help me customise my BWP mod selection

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

-The Grey Clan Episode I: In Candlelight (tgc1e bgt) 1.8.T1

I've played this one on two ocassions. While I've found nothing bad about it (except the music) it didn't really feel it integrated well within the game's storyline. I actually liked it a lot better than Stone of Askavar. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't really care if it's there or not. Though... I've played it on mega installs with big and overpowered mods... so maybe if I use it in a more controlled game it might prove a challenge. Might be worth a shot.

-Every Mod and Dog (EMaD) 6

Never got to play it. I'd appreciate you comments upon the quests it brings.

-Rupert the Dye Merchant 2.1.1

- It's interesting, I usually have it installed, but seeing as I've never actually needed to buy anything from the guy, I think I'll skip it.

-Varshoon an Illithid NPC 4.2

It's in my selection, and you've also stated your opinion about it. :)

-Vampire Tales 1.03

I read somethings about it which made me decide not to include it, though I don't recall them exactly. Your thoughts about it would be appreciated.

-Wheels of Prophecy (Beta) 2

It's beta phase kind of worry me it would ruin the install at the very end of the game. Your thoughts about it would be appreciated.

#82 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Soooo... Feel free to lend me a thought or two about the mod selection listed here.
You might want to make the first post a composed list of the mods you plan to use... as it's now on all the pages, it's harder to comment... you get the list by simply using the component list editor in BWS, as you can export the list in side the function. The picture in the 3.4 of my FAQftMM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#83 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Soooo... Feel free to lend me a thought or two about the mod selection listed here.
You might want to make the first post a composed list of the mods you plan to use... as it's now on all the pages, it's harder to comment... you get the list by simply using the component list editor in BWS, as you can export the list in side the function. The picture in the 3.4 of my FAQftMM.

Thanks, I'll try and do that tonight, as I'm at work right now.

#84 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

-The Grey Clan Episode I: In Candlelight (tgc1e bgt) 1.8.T1

I've played this one on two ocassions. While I've found nothing bad about it (except the music) it didn't really feel it integrated well within the game's storyline. I actually liked it a lot better than Stone of Askavar. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't really care if it's there or not. Though... I've played it on mega installs with big and overpowered mods... so maybe if I use it in a more controlled game it might prove a challenge. Might be worth a shot.

-Every Mod and Dog (EMaD) 6

Never got to play it. I'd appreciate you comments upon the quests it brings.

-Rupert the Dye Merchant 2.1.1

- It's interesting, I usually have it installed, but seeing as I've never actually needed to buy anything from the guy, I think I'll skip it.

-Varshoon an Illithid NPC 4.2

It's in my selection, and you've also stated your opinion about it. :)

-Vampire Tales 1.03

I read somethings about it which made me decide not to include it, though I don't recall them exactly. Your thoughts about it would be appreciated.

-Wheels of Prophecy (Beta) 2

It's beta phase kind of worry me it would ruin the install at the very end of the game. Your thoughts about it would be appreciated.

Yes I understand what you mean about The Grey Clan. Though, in a controlled game as you say, I think it is very challenging.

About Every Mod and Dog; The mod adds, how do I put it... some more "flimsy" quests. It is made to breathe some fun into the game. Obviously, this is not for everyone, but I think it gives more of the BG1 feel where sometimes an encounter or a person would be amusing instead of dead serious :) It's only a few quests and most of them are short, so it's not overwhelming or anything like that either. It's quality is very high, and it's also very creative. The encounters/quests are well thought out and interesting, the jokes are funny, and above all it is very different. I'll take an example of simply it's first component, "A Z-rated Adventure": (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled)

Spoiler

You don't see such quests every day in BG. In fact, the mod throws you in for surprises several times, and for some, I guess this can be very annoying. For me, it enhances the game greatly.

About Vampire Tales; I like this mod because it's pretty unique having a vampire in your party (and one who speaks much more than say, Valen). And not just any random generic stereotype vampire either - the NPC in this mod is actually a Malkavian. If you ever played Vampire: The Masquerade, you know how distinct this mod becomes from this reason alone. Technically it works well, too.

About Wheels of Prophecy; Yes I understand your concern. I can only tell you that I never noticed any bugs in this mod myself, from various playthroughs, with varying mod setups. Of note is also that it has been included in BWP for years now, as a default install for all preselections except "minimum", which means that many persons have installed it, and I don't think many persons have complained about bugs in this. It's age and lack of updates also makes it likely that if any bugs have been found, they are likely being patched these days in the Big World Fixpack.

#85 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:26 AM

It would be quite interesting to hear if this game worked good or not. I mean if your selection created a good and stable game.

If something was wrong (by your opinion) in the selection after testing, then people would benefit of knowing that :)

Oh, and yes it might be a good idea to sticky this, as mentioned earlier. At least making it somehow easier to see for newbies wanting some info about the mods.

#86 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

I also vote for making a sticky of this. I had to google to find this thread.

#87 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Phlaphee - I can't belive I never saw this thread (till now, that is).

Little history:

I first used BWS (I was reluctant to try out BGT for some reason, and was a TuTu player) somewhere in last year's August.

I was amazed by the ammount of mods from which I could choose from - plenty of which I never heard of. 

Needles to say, I installed everything....

First 5 or so times I couldn't get the bloody thing to work - it constantly crashed when I started to play. Then I removed Infinity Animations and - WOW. It started. First time in Beregost, I see some red-plated guards everywhere, some guy named Will Scarlet (with a strong accent) greets me....I was amazed....how can things work so flawlessly, in between so much mods?

It wasn't untill I met some "improved enemies" when I found out the hard way quantity doesn't mean "quality" in BG1.

The "big" mods there are, all things considered - fine, actually. Hard, challenging, fairly-well written (I don't have high expectations story-wise). What's bad about them (and the "worst" by these standards being "Dark Horizons") is the ammount of OP equipment you gain which utterly destroys your game. Even if you decide to "leave it on the ground", enemies will use these against you - making the game imbalanced again. DSotSC and NTotSC both feature hard enemies (and plenty of loot) but nowhere near DH (and plenty of items within it have powers not documented in their descriptions). 

Big BG2 mods - the first mod I ever played (looooong time ago) was, believe it or not, The Darkest Day. It was distributed on a CD which you got with a gaming magazine. I used to play it over and over again (usually with some Drow kit :D ). Nowdays, I can see fairly clearly  that this mod should (as well as the rest of "big BG2 mods") go through either a complete revision or retirement. 

Tortured Souls - bleh. You need to have Yoshi. You need to have Kachiko. You'll probably want Sime and Valygar. What's left?

In addition, those katana-wielding orientals never had any appeal to me.

NEJ - If I wanted Icewind Dale, I'll buy my copy from GoG, tyvm. I never understood this.

SoS - oh.....the bugs within this . How can you expect to finish this without some deep programming knowledge of BG2 is beyond me. :(

CtB - ........I never really understood this mod. Is it meant to be a joke? If it is, I fail to get it. :WTF:

That's my reasoning for "skip all big mods". Either somebody should go through the items (manually, not some crazy random program) and balance those out or skip these.

Some of them (SoS, CtB and the rest of BG2 big mods - apart maybe TDD) are beyond salvation.

#88 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Thank you for joining the thread, 'kreso'!

I totally agree with what you said about the big mods. They add a lot of content (good or not so good) but the damage it does to the gaming experience is crucial. That is why, I chose to not install any of the big mods. If you haven't seen it already, I've listed the mods I've selected for my installation on the very first post of the thread. If you have the time and willingness, feel free to comment on the choice of mods, any insight is helpful!

'Putrid' as of today, I will be starting to test this selection wit BWP 13. If I remember correctly there are still some issues to be solved (I might be wrong though), but as soon as I get the installation to work, I'l start testing the game. Hopefully, it will be an enjoyable experience!

#89 -Jourin-

-Jourin-

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have just installed a BG1 themed game.  I want to play with the new English updates for JARL and Breagar. 

Spoiler

I like the Big BG1 mods more than the BG2 Big mods.  I especially like the story for Dark Horizons.  I agree that some OP equipment exists,but for me it doesn't destroy the story.

This install is light on BG2 mods - intentionally.

#90 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone have any idea on Vampire tales? Is it good? How does Miriam (the character inside vampire tales) compare to Valen?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.