Photo

Help me customise my BWP mod selection

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! Indeed, item revisions is a mod I wouldn't dream of not having in my BG moded game. Can't wait to see it compatible with 1pp V4!!!

Moving on:

18. MINI-MODS:
- The Holy Hand Grenade v1.3

- Lucy the Wyvern v4

- Quallo v1.14

- Shed's Mods v1.03

- Slandor - The Minotaur and Lilacor v1.6

- The Slithering Menace (Snakes) v 3.4

- Au service d'Oghma v1.6

- TurnipGolem v4

- Zalnoya and the Shadow Thieves v1.5

19. BG2 RULES, TWEAKS AND SPELLS:

- Ding0's QuestPack v2.3

- Drizzt Is Not Stupid (BGT) v1.1

- Fading Promises v6

- Ghost v2.1

- gMinion v2

- NPC Tweak v5

- Spell Revisions v3.1

- Lost Crossroads Spell Pack for Baldur's Gate 2 = SpellPackB6

- Teleport Spell v14

- The Undying v2.10

- Unfinished Business for BGII v19

- Wild Mage Additions v1.7

About the mini mods, i've selected only those that seemed interesting, but as usual, I'm open to suggestions. Or you can just tell me which ones I want to install are not really woth it.

About tweaks... well, I really need help on deciding what to install from this selection. I am most interested in how Spell Revisions works together with spell pack.

Edited by phlaphee, 14 February 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#42 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

About tweaks... well, I really need help on deciding what to install from this selection. I am most interested in how Spell Revisions works together with spell pack.

Right now it will work better if you install Spell Pack after SR, but that's pretty much all I can guarantee.

#43 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

Ghost is practically useless (you can't access any of its content in-game unless you CLUAConsole :P)

gMinion is an ancient mod (summon AIs and it won't affect mod-added summons) - choose SCS/BP (preferably former until the latter's updated) instead

Wild Mage Additions - only useful if your toon is a wildmage :P (also adds a VERY difficult - and possibly bugged out in conjunction with AI mods like BP/SCS - battle on the cliffs of Candlekeep, accessible even when you're level 1 :devil: Thing is... that battle is kinda essential if you wanna experience 95% of this mod :P)

Undying  - this section only contains the tougher battles components which you should skip if you're using AI mods or prepare to face Bhaalspawn-like characters when you're still between level 2-5... the actual content is a must-install though :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#44 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

Thanks LOL, that reduces the list quite a bit! Though I'll have to read the readme for Undying and decide what to do with it.

#45 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Moving on:

18. MINI-MODS:
- The Holy Hand Grenade v1.3

- Lucy the Wyvern v4

- Quallo v1.14

- Shed's Mods v1.03

- Slandor - The Minotaur and Lilacor v1.6

- The Slithering Menace (Snakes) v 3.4

- Au service d'Oghma v1.6

- TurnipGolem v4

- Zalnoya and the Shadow Thieves v1.5

19. BG2 RULES, TWEAKS AND SPELLS:

- Ding0's QuestPack v2.3 - Good mod for more content. It's of very high quality, but has some bugs.

- Drizzt Is Not Stupid (BGT) v1.1 - Only necessary if you can't contain yourself from stealing his weapons. Or if you want to fight him more fairly.

- Fading Promises v6 - Unique mod in it's execution. Very rememberable. In some of my runs, it has bugged out, and in some, no problems at all.

- Ghost v2.1

- gMinion v2

- NPC Tweak v5

- Spell Revisions v3.1 - It's a good mod for the same reasons as Item Revisions. It also fixes some very important spell bugs. Essential for me. A confusion to be ready for:

The mod makes the spell Imprisonment a permanent Maze to solve issues with romances breaking and such. It's a very good fix, but it also makes it impossible to tell whether a character is mazed or imprisoned (well, besides waiting to find out). I think this is a engine thing, and nothing anyone can do anything about. Another note: NPCs will still get kicked out of the party if they are petrified. If you want to change this, you can use Bigg's Tweaks to make Petrify a permanent Hold (with the character turning gray) instead. 

- Lost Crossroads Spell Pack for Baldur's Gate 2 = SpellPackB6 - I will be paying attention to what others say about this, as I'm myself very interested in this mod. It should be said, that I played once with this, and I had many crashes while spellcasting. I never confirmed 100% if it really was SpellPack's fault, but the author himself has said that there can be crashes if one pauses exactly when creatures are spawned. And this mod summons invisible creatures to create spectacular spell graphics/effects. So, this could perhaps lead to crashes if one pauses during spellcasting combat.

- Teleport Spell v14

- The Undying v2.10

- Unfinished Business for BGII v19 - I think this is as essential as the one for BG1. I never had problems with this.

- Wild Mage Additions v1.7 - Adding to what Lollorian has already said, I would just like to point out that the "VERY hard" (indeed) battle he is talking about, can be chosen at install-time to be at a fixed location (haughty-pansy mode), and thus, you could simply ignore going there if you can't handle it. The mod itself makes Wild Mage much more fun to play and works very well. The way to get the spells is also unique in the sense that for once, you are not really supposed to win. One is supposed to wait until his Wild Magic gets a wild surge and does something terrible to him, then kill him.

#46 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Re: Wild Mage additions

Yup the fixed location is the Candlekeep Cliff area :)

Also, like PutridWalker said, the battle is supposed to be like you just waiting for a stupid wild surge that:

Spoiler

So you can just murder him :D

But this has never worked in an install with heavy duty AI mods :( (so he continues to fight using imba magics and you totally screwed mate :lol:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#47 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Thank you for the info, yet again, guys!

20. ASCENSION-RELATED MODS

- Big Picture v1.80c

- Lol's RezMod v2.5

- Sword Coast Stratagems v21

- Tactics v25

- Turnabout v1

- The Longer Road v1.5.1

- P&P Celestials v5

- Grimuars v3.3da

- Homeward Bound v6

- Throne of Bhaal Revisited beta 4

21. KELSEY/SOLAUFEIN RELATED NPC MODS:

- Solaufein NPC v1.04

- Solaufein Flirt Pack v1.1

- Kelsey SoA 2.1

- Kelsey ToB 2.2

- Getting Rid of Anomen v2

- Keto v3

- Nathaniel v4.2

- The Luxley Family v1.1

- Kiara-Zaiya v1.6.2

- NPCFlirt Pack v1.02

- Romantic Encounters v6

- Haer'Dalis Romance v2

- Revised Battles v6.3

- The MTS Crappack v4

- Sarevok Romance v1

- Crossmod Banter Pack for Baldur's Gate II v14

Besides the usual comments on mods, there are two things that bug me:

1. Throne of Bhaal Revisited beta 4, is listed in the PDF as Standard, but in the Install.bat it's labeled expert (last time I've checked). Has anyone tried this one? Is there a reason it's labeled expert in the install other than the fact that it's beta?

2. On my last dozen installs, components 29 and 31 of The MTS Crappack v4 did not install, though they were supposed to from what I can tell from the code on the install.bat.  I had to modiffy the code to not do the check for the components necessary, but that will only work for me, who installs the needed moods.

#48 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

Tactics, Revised Battles and P&P Celestials - make sure you really wanna install them because SCS or/and BP more than make up for their absence

ToB Revisited - is not only beta and more akin to an overhaul instead of a simple AI mod but also unfinished last I heard (the author seems to have abandoned it for half a year now)

Kiara-Zaiya - really old mod that overwrites stuff a lot (only install if you REALLY want to)

You don't wanna skip on Crossmod banter pack if you have an NPC heavy install :)

#49 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Thanks Lol!

Does anyone have any experience with Alternatives v10 mod?

#50 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Alternatives v10 mod?

Yes. First thing, the mod is pretty small, and does not add much to the game, despite it's premise. Secondly, it has some quirks, which i'm not sure are the problem of the mod, or the BWP itself:

For example, the person giving the "Alternative" quests will not respawn when needed. Meaning she can be talked to several times for chapter advancements (and a completely bugged out game), if not careful. Also, some oversights with quest entries, and small details.

Also, some thoughts, I hope they help some.

20. ASCENSION-RELATED MODS

- Big Picture v1.80c - I am waiting for the "big update" of this - as of now, it has some bugs. A better AI mod than SCS in my opinion. Why? Because in SCS I always feel like all the enemies are doing the same things, tactical wise. In BP it's more variation, and also it has some extra content (enemies shout at you and such)

- Lol's RezMod v2.5 - The colored stones are cute :P I haven't had any problems with this.

- Sword Coast Stratagems v21 - SCS is good, but see the comparison with BP (just my opinion). Other notes: The game lags a bit in heavy battles with this AI installed. In my games, I use SCS for it's features, but I don't install it's AI. For example, the "better placement" component for BG1 is essential for me, and many more too, but they are all of personal opinion, so a good read of the readme(s) is required.

- Tactics v25

- Turnabout v1 - Note that this mod, despite being in "Tactics", makes the game (at the Ascension ending fight) easier. It does not help overly much though, and I feel it adds much to the game.

- The Longer Road v1.5.1 - I like this premise, but I haven't tried it. I have read somewhere that Irenicus is pretty overpowered.

- P&P Celestials v5

- Grimuars v3.3da

- Homeward Bound v6

- Throne of Bhaal Revisited beta 4

21. KELSEY/SOLAUFEIN RELATED NPC MODS:

- Solaufein NPC v1.04 - There is much praise for this mod, but i'll say it outright that I don't really see why. It feels old, a bit underdeveloped, and the style of this NPC is kind of different from other NPCs and the rest of the game IMO.

- Solaufein Flirt Pack v1.1 - Never tried, but indeed Solaufeins talk menu is very empty without this.

- Kelsey SoA 2.1 - A bit of Gavin tendencies in this one. *Very* well made, but he is whimpy and a bit annoying.

- Kelsey ToB 2.2 - As above.

- Getting Rid of Anomen v2 - Funny if one hates Anomen, but a bit disturbing that your own character gets a voice in this. Note, only female characters, who romance Kelsey, can see this.

- Keto v3

- Nathaniel v4.2

- The Luxley Family v1.1

- Kiara-Zaiya v1.6.2

- NPCFlirt Pack v1.02 - It depends on the person I guess, but this adds *lots* of dialogues to romance paths of all BioWare characters. Also, it gives some depths to how you can interact with the ones you romance. It's funny, well made, and adds alot to the game - I wouldn't exactly call it sensual but a bit perverted. I always instal this.

- Romantic Encounters v6 - I will admit that I instal this every playthrough. It's perverted yes, but it also adds alot to the game. Encounters are always fun. And they are not just random encounters either, they have requirements, several outcomes etc. And there are alot of them. I like more talks in my BG so this is an automatic instal for me, but one have to accept sexual content in the game if so.

- Haer'Dalis Romance v2

- Revised Battles v6.3

- The MTS Crappack v4

- Sarevok Romance v1 - More talks with Sarevok is always nice IMO. If one likes this concept, that is. Works very well.

- Crossmod Banter Pack for Baldur's Gate II v14 - Lollorian already said enough about the quality of this mod, but I would like to mention that it also takes certain liberties that may or may not be a good thing for you.

Example: If Solaufein and Edwin is in the party at the same time, a banter could trigger that makes it so that Solaufein teaches "Dimension Door" as an innate ability to Edwin. I have no problem with such things, but it's more than a banter, and also some people would call it making Edwin overpowered, so i'm just throwing it out there.

#51 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Once again, thank you guys!

Ye think it might be a good idea to pin the topic? Dunno, it might help others who are looking for more details on bug free mods.

22. KITS:

- Conductor Kit v1.0

- The Elven Package v0.95

- Legion of Hell

NPC Kitpack v3

23. HLA-TABLES CHANGING MODS:

- Song and Silence (SaA) v5

- Divine Remix v7.1 (former: Cleric Remix)

- Paladins of Faerun Kitpack v4

- Sword and Fist v7

- Rogue ReBalancing v4.50

As you can see, I'm not very interested in adding tons of kits to the game. The ones I am interested in are those bought on by Divine Remix and Paladins of Faerun. If anyone has had experiences with the other kits I have listed and that they aren't really worth it, please let me know. I will also be modifying the install.bat to skip kit components for Tactics v25 and Enhanced BG2 v1.1.

One thing I'll be doing is assigning Viconia the kit provided by Divine Remix which requires evil characters. Will this break her alignment change in the game via romance? 

This is a part of the install I've been waiting to discuss... because of the known issues between Divine Remix and Spell Revisions, Spell Pack and other mods. I would really need some help on deciding weather or not to include Divine Remix in the install. I really like the concept of the mod though it alters the divine spell casters quite a lot, but if the problems are severe, I would rather not have it installed and go with just Spell Revisions/Spell Pack.

Edited by phlaphee, 21 February 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#52 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

NPC Kitpack v3
You would probably gain far more if you used the Level1NPCs NPC components ...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#53 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

NPC Kitpack v3

Yes, but as far as I know, I have to install it manually, because BWS doesn't handle those components. Correct me if I'm wrong!

#54 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

There's a mod missing from the BG2 NPC list that, IMHO, should never be missed:

BTL :)

This mod introduces a pair of extremely well-conceived and well-executed characters, and plays out best when both NPCs are in the party, as they have much interaction between themselves. They're great assets to an adventuring party, and their story is complex and interesting (again, IMHO).

The mod's author, Zyraen, is planning to revise and update the mod (dialogue needs serious overhaul, plus other content he's got in mind to improve).

Just had to mention it. You could simply toss the mod on the top of your stack, and uninstall it if you encounter problems, or simply don't want it in your installation.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#55 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yes, but as far as I know, I have to install it manually, because BWS doesn't handle those components.
Yeah, you can pause the install time after you install all the kits etc. It's manually install required only because you need to make the choices manually... if you actually wrote all your own choices down, you could make it's install automatic too... but believe me, that's too much trouble.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 February 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#56 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Is there interest to put this into something like the "SHS selection" for the BWS? Any volunteers?
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#57 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

23. HLA-TABLES CHANGING MODS:

- Song and Silence (SaA) v5 - I haven't found any bugs with this. Nice kits. Good mod overall.

- Divine Remix v7.1 (former: Cleric Remix)

- Paladins of Faerun Kitpack v4

Sword and Fist v7 - I haven't found any bugs with this. Nice kits.

Rogue ReBalancing v4.50 - I haven't found any bugs with this. Nice kits. Good mod overall. Be wary of it's encounter component...it's *hard*. Or I just suck at the game :P

On kit mods overall, make sure they are updated for Throne of Bhaal (or else they will not have High level Abilities, which is a bummer by the time you realize this)

NPC Kitpack v3

They do slightly different things though. And phlaphee: if you decide to use Level1NPCs, the component "NPC's match player level" has bugged out on me several times, so I never install it. Just a heads up.

I just wanted to say that I definitely agree with Eric P. here. However, I also agree with what he says about the dialogue needing some work.

Is there interest to put this into something like the "SHS selection" for the BWS? Any volunteers?

That is a very good idea, and I would like to help with this. I'm kind of busy at this time, but this thread is a good start. I hope more people chip in on this however.

#58 phlaphee

phlaphee
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I can't promise it, but if I see all works well with the selection, I might consider creating my custom selection, and if people are interested, I'll post it.

This mod introduces a pair of extremely well-conceived and well-executed characters, and plays out best when both NPCs are in the party, as they have much interaction between themselves. They're great assets to an adventuring party, and their story is complex and interesting (again, IMHO).

The mod's author, Zyraen, is planning to revise and update the mod (dialogue needs serious overhaul, plus other content he's got in mind to improve).

Just had to mention it. You could simply toss the mod on the top of your stack, and uninstall it if you encounter problems, or simply don't want it in your installation.

I've just read about Beyond the Law v1.35 (I think that's what you pointed out) and it does sound interesting! Thanks, I'll be sure to add it to my install!

Yes, but as far as I know, I have to install it manually, because BWS doesn't handle those components.
Yeah, you can pause the install time after you install all the kits etc. It's manually install required only because you need to make the choices manually... if you actually wrote all your own choices down, you could make it's install automatic too... but believe me, that's too much trouble.

Well... I'll first have to install it alone, just to see how complicated it is to customize NPCs, but indeed, from the mod description it does sound like it helps a lot more.

Thanks all for the comments, much apreciated! I'm still quite interested in Divine Remix vs Spell Revisions / SpellPack issues!

Edited by phlaphee, 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#59 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

They do slightly different things though. And phlaphee: if you decide to use Level1NPCs, the component "NPC's match player level" has bugged out on me several times, so I never install it. Just a heads up.
Well, for me, it has never done that to me, most probably because I know not to use the SCS's NPC proficiency chooser component, cause why would you as the NPC component of the L1NPCs allows you do do exactly that without any restrictions other than the ones set by the class/kit combo... and as far as I am aware of, the component is still unnessasary for the NPC components.
Thanks all for the comments, much apreciated! I'm still quite interested in Divine Remix vs Spell Revisions / SpellPack issues!
I think the suggestion is still to just use one(DR or SR or SP). Well, you could also use the SR with a few components of SP, but that's just crazy.
On kit mods overall, make sure they are updated for Throne of Bhaal (or else they will not have High level Abilities, which is a bummer by the time you realize this)
That's just crazy talk, all the currently uptodate mods like the once you bolded are TOB compatible. There might have been a few in the past, before the weidu mods, but not today.
The only warning I can give is to not use a mod that revises the HLA tables with one that resmakes the Druids(or other classes) to gain them at different level than the original, as you might lock yourself in the gain HLA table without the ability to choise a pick.

#60 -PutridWalker-

-PutridWalker-

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

That's just crazy talk, all the currently uptodate mods like the once you bolded are TOB compatible. There might have been a few in the past, before the weidu mods, but not today.
The only warning I can give is to not use a mod that revises the HLA tables with one that resmakes the Druids(or other classes) to gain them at different level than the original, as you might lock yourself in the gain HLA table without the ability to choise a pick.

It was a general tip Jarno :) I don't use kit mods since a long time, except the ones I commented on. So I know well that they have HLAs. But for example, last time I checked, some of (all?) the kits from The Darkest Day had no HLAs - I got hit by this once. He is not installing that, but I felt it was noteworthy. Some mods in the BWP are old.