Photo

WeiDU install fails

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Feat of Fantasy

Sir Feat of Fantasy
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Struggling to get BG complete installed on my Windows 7 64-bit machine but WiuEI installation fails.

I've attached the (1.1Mb) debug file but the fatal line seems to be:

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "g:\\baldurs gate\\BG 1/characters/cleric.chr")

But my BG 1 installation folder doesn't have a /characters folder at all.

The /Data folder is there and seems to have everything it should have.

Should there be a /characters folder?  Can I import it from anywhere on the disks?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Sir Feat of Fantasy, 09 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, there should be a characters folder, which BG1 installation do you have? If not, you can recreate all the files in the characters folder with empty files to allow installation to succeed. There are:

cleric.chr

fighter.chr

mage.chr

multi.chr

thief.chr

Edited by Ascension64, 10 April 2013 - 12:25 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Should there be a /characters folder?  Can I import it from anywhere on the disks?
Yep, erhm, did you fully install the BG:TotSC ? The other side of this question is, -What version do you have of the BG1 game, aka where did you buy it from, country, is it a specific product etc ??? As much info as you can give will help here.
As the characters should be there ...

Edited by The Imp, 10 April 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 Sir Feat of Fantasy

Sir Feat of Fantasy
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi guys.

Thanks for the input.

Given that I don't need for Baldur's Gate anything like the grunt my desktop has available I tried an installation my laptop with an external monitor which automatically picked up the need for compatability and seems to have installed BG 1 + ToSC OK, tho' I've a way to go yet to complete the whole installation.

I wonder if the difference might be between Windows 7-64 Professional (no native compatability function) and Windows 7-32 Enterprise which does have compatability natively and adopted XP(SP2) without being asked.

Will let you know how it goes.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if the difference might be between Windows 7-64 Professional (no native compatability function) and Windows 7-32 Enterprise which does have compatability natively and adopted XP(SP2) without being asked.

I would actually be wondering if the Microsoft can actually make any compatibility correctly at all, as the native programming is off by a mile and then some...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.