Any new friendships?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 -Harlequin-

-Harlequin-

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hey, I was wondering whether there are any more friendship packs in progress or planned. I know Mazzy's still has a few bugs, but I'd really like to see one for Aerie or Cernd. Any news?

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a Cernd friendship about 3/4 written, but working on BG2EE haven't had the time to finish it, I'm afraid! As for Aerie, you'd have to ask Choo Choo. :)

#3 Austin

Austin
  • Modder
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:45 AM

Hello! Thanks so much for your mods!
But doesn’t you plan to release a Jan Jansen Friendship mod? This is a wonderful character and it would be great to see more banters with him :)
Now there is one mod about him - Jan's Extended Quest. But, I think, many would like more)

Edited by Austin, 11 September 2019 - 04:47 AM.

#4 Isewein

Isewein
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:00 AM

I just realised that with the recent addition of friendship mods here (kudos, guys!), we now have at least one dedicated expansion mod for every single Bio NPC but Jaheira - which is fitting, I suppose, considering she had the most original game content out of all of them. Still, it would be great to have a "Jaheira friendship" analoguous to the Viconia one. It could be a simple copy of the existing Romance, with two or three dialogues altered - that'd be it. Maybe I'll get to it eventually... If anyone has ever considered the same, I'd love to cooperate.

Edited by Isewein, 28 November 2019 - 04:01 AM.

#5 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

More than ten years ago, they were Aerie and Jaheira Friendships projects, but they were never completed nor released. If you are indeed interested in those, I might ask Kaeloree if you could complete and finalize what he began to write.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#6 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Kaeloree passed the responsibility for IEP to me :) He also told me that many of the old talks could be better - the remaining unreleased stuff is like ancient... also, some he wasn't happy with some parts he wrote back then, he wanted it to be better and of best possible quality. If there was to be a new mod in the series, the person should talk to me so we could talk about the ideas etc. There are some people who considered working on a new IEP mods, but I suppose they are busy now, but this series isn't dead. I bet that one day there will be even more IEP projects, but that needs time :)

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 28 November 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#7 Isewein

Isewein
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:37 AM

I'd love that, Gwen. I actually did code it for my own use, but rather sloppily (simply added gender checks to the "Romantic" lines of the Romance).

#8 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

As Lava said, you should get in touch with him via inbox. He is the person in charge with IEP banters mods.

And it will save my time for updating other old SHS mods. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#9 Isewein

Isewein
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:01 AM

It's been a while, but I'd like to finally get around to doing this properly. As it stands, it seems the best solution would be to follow the example set by Viconia Friendship and Wings in simply copying the entire Romance tree, leaving out any explicitly romantic content. In doing so, I shall have to follow the vanilla game version of it to ensure compatibility, however I remember that the vanilla Jaheira Romance was quite bugged. The Fixpack at least was integrated into the EE, but does anyone know which other mods affecting Jaheira's Romance I should take into account to ensure compatibility with a possible friendship mod?

#10 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 12:45 PM

Viconia Friendship does more than that. Her talks refer to events, happenings, and emotions from the romance, but they were actually written to be something else than a copy. IEP mod should do something more than that - also because that would strip her original romance from significance (and at the same time, make the friendship less interesting). Why should anyone befriend her if they saw all these talks during the romance?

Viconia in both romance and friendship is the same person, with the same past and similar fears, but there are some things you share with friends, and some you share with a lover. So yep, there are some motives, she may refer same events, mention similar concerns, or show what kind of b**** she can be, but there are quite significant changes. Kaeloree actually rewrote many lines, even if the themes are based on the original content.

It would be cool to see Jaheira Friendship among present IEP mods, but as I said, it would need to be more than "copying the entire Romance tree, leaving out any explicitly romantic content", sorry... However, if you decide that you want to write new stuff, then you should definitely give it a try. And writing these talks doesn't mean you can't use the romance talks as inspiration, use some motives, or even some lines, and then write about these things but also add something new and give PC a chance to be a good friend. Friendship isn't exactly about being something less than a romance, but something different from a romance. Hence, the new stuff Kaeloree added, talks that were rewritten and some stuff was reshaped and rephrased.

Furthermore, it's worth saying that NPC IEP mods are not dead, and there are people with whom I am in touch... who are considering writing something. If you too feel you would like to give writing a try, let me know.

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 01 October 2022 - 12:48 PM.

#11 Isewein

Isewein
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 03:30 PM

That's fair. I'll make a separate topic then - I'm really just interested in this as a tweak to make the talks available regardless of the romance. The value lies not in novelty but in being able to enjoy the content that's already there without immersion-breaking references. The vast majority of the dialogue has nearly no actual "romantic" content in a literal sense anyway, so I don't see the need to write new ones in their place. I do have some ideas for additional changes that might be interesting, such as a picture of Khalid for Jahaboam's locket, but the priority for me would be to use what's there already.

The difference between friendship and romance is, I suppose, a matter of personal philosophy.