A very good mod - but might I suggest a few things?

map notes journal entries dialogs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -fkirenicus-

-fkirenicus-

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

OK, I admit I was a  bit frustrated when I posted a rant about not being able to find Silverale Hall. But I've calmed down now. :-)

Overall a very good mod - will definately be part of my games from now on. I REALLY liked the Calim desert! :-)

However, I must suggest a few things. :-)

1) Map notes: Map notes are more or less non-existant in this mod, which makes it quite difficult to find where you need to go. In the case of Silverale Hall it was unnecessarily hard to find because of this.

2) Journal entries: It appears to me that some journal entries say more than the dialogs before them. E.g. I can't remember that the name of the Odesseiron Red Wizard guy was mentioned in any dialogs, but it appeared in my journal entries.
Also, it seems that (some) journal entries never are removed - which may be confusing as to whether one has finished the quest or not. But the same goes for some from Bioware... :-)
Anyway, the woodcutter-quest... Trimthorns... Is there anything more about that than going to North Forest and finding his corpse?

3) Dialogs: Connected with 2). I think no one actually mentioned the name of mr. Odesseiron until *I* did it while speaking to the Red Wizard that hides in the ....restroom. :-)

A sidenote: Your mod and Alternatives MAY be incompatible, as the Lady Pava-something and her ring appears to be impossible to find if you go for the Paladin option in Alternatives (doesn't use the normal areas for the Shadow Thief Guildhall).

Also I completely missed out on Ceinwen, probably because I was able to get past the Traps of the Living using Boots of Speed.

Anyway, now that I've played your mod once and know more about what to do (and what NOT to do...) I guess I'll enjoy it more than I perhaps expressed in the rant about Silverale Hall. :-)

#2 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

1. I kept the map notes deliberately sparse to force the player to look and poke in all corners.

2. That's a frustrating point. The removal/update code is there but it never triggers correctly for some journal entries, despite the code structure being identical to one that does work.

2a. Trimthorn... there are two ways to complete the quest.

Spoiler

3. That's correct. That conversation is the first 'reveal' information.

4. You're probably right about Alternatives. However, just FYI, there's also a path in FFT which makes it impossible to complete the ring quest - this is deliberate. I'll see if I can fix the Alternatives problem by checking for it, but no promises.

5. Yes, using the Boots of Speed does miss out Ceinwen. This was forced on me by the way the Infinity Engine reacts (or rather, doesn't react) to certain actions.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 13 September 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#3 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

I've installed and checked Alternatives - there doesn't seem to be any area conflict as the only area changes Alternatives makes is to drop in a completely new tomb. However, I will run the quest and see what happens.

-Y-

#4 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

What is the result? Is your mod compatible with alternatives?

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

So far as I know, yes. I didn't get any problems.

-Y-

#6 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Thanks.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: map notes, journal entries, dialogs