Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#3181 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

Its really seems like a modded game is just a total crapshoot and you'll never see the same thing twice, even if you don't re-run BWS between fresh games.
Ha, there's a little tiny difference between modified game and MEGAMODDED game, the fact that you have to look things to not get a total crap shot out of the outcome. Of course if you like a little randomization ... then who cares, but if you don't, then you install only the mods you WANT, and NOTHING ELSE. Ask any mod maker and this is always the case. Actually there plenty that say that their mod is the only one they support and any bugs coming out of installing multiple mods is yours to deal with ... essentially.

I know, but I'm running a tactical BWS install with very few changes.  Why would I have kits listed twice?  And I mean identical kits, not different ones with the same names.  Or kits that don't appear either at chargen or on the special actions bar, even when you've got the correct class/race combo.  I thought BWS was supposed to keep mod-added kits from stepping on each other so I have to think the mods themselves are at fault.

#3182 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

Why would I have kits listed twice?  And I mean identical kits...
Read the mod readme's ... if the mods have them. There are several mods that install the very same kits. Why? You ask... well, in case you want the kit without the guest mod that adds 1 M xp and several best weapons the vanilla game comes with.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3183 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Why would I have kits listed twice?  And I mean identical kits...
Read the mod readme's ... if the mods have them. There are several mods that install the very same kits. Why? You ask... well, in case you want the kit without the guest mod that adds 1 M xp and several best weapons the vanilla game comes with.

Yeah, I was aware of that so that's exactly how I configure my installs.  I'm starting a new run-through so as soon as I can I will post all the duplicate kits I can find.

#3184 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

So now I'm back to SWS not installing right.  I've come full circle - sigh..

Attached File  Bak-201610120004.zip   201.76K   179 downloads

Edited by psycros, 11 October 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#3185 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:29 PM

Well, ALIEN Quake has been hard at work in updating the BWS, sounds like there's something he overlooked ...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3186 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:36 PM

Please provide weidu.log, also:

1. Download https://github.com/B...hive/master.zip

2. Extract files directly into C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition ( beware of unnecessary WeiDU-FileChangelog-master folder)

3. Run WeiDU-FileChangelog.bat and type BPAPPLE.CRE

4. Post results from WeiDU-FileChangelog folder

I'm not sure what I'm doing here but I will try.  Am I downloading a different Weidu version and then running this batch function to try and fix my problem, thus avoiding a full BWS re-run?  Or maybe this is a diagnostic thing that's going to re-create that folder you say to not extract?  What "results" am I posting exactly?  Also, I've discovered this issue only happens on one of my PCs - the other doesn't have it even though I tried to get my mod selections identical.  I think the PC with the SWS bug may even be refusing to update BWS but I'm not positive.

Edited by psycros, 12 October 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#3187 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Or maybe this is a diagnostic thing that's going to re-create that folder you say to not extract? What "results" am I posting exactly?
Yes, it's a diagnostic tool that will tell ALIEN what's up with the file. You just need to run the .bat file and it will create the WeiDU-FileChangelog folder from the file you ask it to make the log from that you type in, which you should then package into a .zip file and post that here in the forum or if that won't work, just post it to a site you can link up for him to download the archive from.
What OS'es versions do you in those two computers ?

Edited by The Imp, 12 October 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#3188 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

Or maybe this is a diagnostic thing that's going to re-create that folder you say to not extract? What "results" am I posting exactly?

Yes, it's a diagnostic tool that will tell ALIEN what's up with the file. You just need to run the .bat file and it will create the WeiDU-FileChangelog folder from the file you ask it to make the log from that you type in, which you should then package into a .zip file and post that here in the forum or if that won't work, just post it to a site you can link up for him to download the archive from.
What OS'es versions do you in those two computers ?

Both are Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  One is an all-Intel laptop and the other is 100% AMD.  (The laptop also gets connected to multiple ISPs while the desktop does not.)  Its the laptop that gets this SCS error.  I'm trying to copy those files to it but I keep getting crap about not having permission.  I'll keep at it till I win.

Update: Got files placed. I'm gonna try one more BWS modding attempt before I post that info, just for consistency's sake. Shouldn't be long.

Attached Files

Edited by psycros, 13 October 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#3189 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

Spoke too soon..now both machines are exhibiting this issue.  I ran the Weidu diagnostic on the desktop machine and it gives the same (useless) results as it did on the laptop. Be aware that I exited the install when the bug happened because I didn't feel like clicking "skip" a hundred times.

Attached Files

Edited by psycros, 14 October 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#3190 willardthor

willardthor
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Hi folks,

I am finally going to play through the whole Baldur's Gate series, start to finish. That is,

• Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
  • Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
  • Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

(I have these from Steam), with lots of mods. I am primarily interested in the BG1 NPC Project (to bring those boring BG1 NPCs to life), but I am also interested in anything that adds drama, quests, romances, and even new NPCs.

How do I proceed?

I apologize if this has been asked a gazillion number of times. While I could rtfm, I have already done some reading, and it appears I will have to read through literally hundreds of pages of forum posts on multiple forums to learn how to proceed, and I don't really have time for that. Besides, I suspect some of you can dispense this query in 2-3 sentences.

From what I have gathered, the most sensible approach is to use the "Big World Setup" to create the "Enhanced Edition Trilogy" (EET).

• Question 1: Is this assessment correct? If not, what is the best way to proceed? (Modding the games separately, and transferring the character to the next game upon completing a previous one?)

If "Yes": I tried doing this, and all I got was a modded "Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition". In particular, I could not select "BG1 NPC Project" anywhere.

• Question 2: How do I install the EET using "Big World Setup"?

Also, according to http://gibberlings3....showtopic=27741 , it appears I need to install some mods to the games before running "Big World Setup" (in particular, note "BG1 NPC Project").

• Question 3: How do I really prepare EET the way I wish? Do I need to 1) install mods, 2) run "Big World Setup", and 3) install mods? 

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Willard

Edited by willardthor, 14 October 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#3191 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

BWS doesn't support EET yet (because EET is not officially released yet)

#3192 willardthor

willardthor
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

I see. (a bit misleading that they put that option into the installer when it doesn't work)

So I guess I mod the games separately with BWS.

• Question A: Will I be able to transfer my character between the games after modding them?
  • Question B: Will I need to 1) install mods, 2) run BWS, and 3) install mods? Or will I be able to install most interesting mods using BWS?

Thanks,

Willard

Edited by willardthor, 14 October 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#3193 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

I see. (a bit misleading that they put that option into the installer when it doesn't work)

So I guess I mod the games separately with BWS.

• Question A: Will I be able to transfer my character between the games after modding them?
  • Question B: Will I need to 1) install mods, 2) run BWS, and 3) install mods? Or will I be able to install most interesting mods using BWS?

Thanks,

Willard

AFAIK you can install nearly every mod of worth via BWS.  That doesn't always mean they install correctly, however - mod authors have to provide timely info to the BWS maintainers regarding updates or problems creep in.  Then you have the simple fact that BWS is handling hundreds of mods, so errors will occur even with the best of intentions and most diligent of efforts.  But long story short..you install EET or any other mega-mod first and then use BWS on it if its possible.  I have no doubt that some of these overhauls would blow up if BWS was used on them.  Everything I've read either says this straight-out or suggests it pretty strongly.  I've also been told that in some cases it is possible to manually add mods after having modded your install via BWS, but I don't know enough to attempt it.

Edited by psycros, 14 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#3194 willardthor

willardthor
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

AFAIK you can install nearly every mod of worth via BWS.  That doesn't always mean they install correctly, however - mod authors have to provide timely info to the BWS maintainers regarding updates or problems creep in.  Then you have the simple fact that BWS is handling hundreds of mods, so errors will occur even with the best of intentions and most diligent of efforts.

I was by no means diminishing the effort of the creators of BWS, or all the modders. I am thrilled that there are people putting in the effort to make Baldur's Gate a richer experience. Also, I installed BG1Tutu a few years ago and found that experience to be an absolute nightmare. So I was naturally very pleased when I discovered BWS.

I only wish using BWS was as simple as using a Linux package manager, and that there were clear authoritative sources and instructions instead of it all being scattered on forums across the Web (seemingly).

[...]But long story short..you install EET or any other mega-mod first and then use BWS on it if its possible.

Here I learned something new; I thought BWS was used to create EET. This might be why my attempt at BWS did not produce the desired result. So you're saying that I e.g. follow these instructions: https://cdn.rawgit.c...readme-EET.html to create EET, and then mod it with BWS afterwards. Will BWS correctly identify that the-thing-I-am-modding is EET, and allow me to install both BG1 and BG2 mods?

Edited by willardthor, 14 October 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#3195 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

AFAIK you can install nearly every mod of worth via BWS.  That doesn't always mean they install correctly, however - mod authors have to provide timely info to the BWS maintainers regarding updates or problems creep in.  Then you have the simple fact that BWS is handling hundreds of mods, so errors will occur even with the best of intentions and most diligent of efforts.

I was by no means diminishing the effort of the creators of BWS, or all the modders. I am thrilled that there are people putting in the effort to make Baldur's Gate a richer experience. Also, I installed BG1Tutu a few years ago and found that experience to be an absolute nightmare. So I was naturally very pleased when I discovered BWS.

I only wish using BWS was as simple as using a Linux package manager, and that there were clear authoritative sources and instructions instead of it all being scattered on forums across the Web (seemingly).

[...]But long story short..you install EET or any other mega-mod first and then use BWS on it if its possible.

Here I learned something new; I thought BWS was used to create EET. This might be why my attempt at BWS did not produce the desired result. So you're saying that I e.g. follow these instructions: https://cdn.rawgit.c...readme-EET.html to create EET, and then mod it with BWS afterwards. Will BWS correctly identify that the-thing-I-am-modding is EET, and allow me to install both BG1 and BG2 mods?

Oh, trust me, I know you weren't saying anything negative.  You and I are really in the same boat.  I'm a newb when it comes to Infinity Engine modding.  I've been trying since April to get a stable modded BGEE install and I'm only just starting to achieve that dream.  Your experiences mirror mine almost exactly.  I'm a huge fan of mod managers and strong community standards that enable them.  BWS supports EET because what EET does is break down BG, BG2 and their expansions' file structures, mod it at the base level and turn it into a new, combined game.  That makes it a known quantity which BWS can work with.  In theory the same should be true of any overhaul or "total conversion" project so long as the people behind it provide ample documentation regarding what they've done.  I personally have not tried EET although I've been sorely tempted.  I'm focused on just getting a stable BWS-modded BGEE running with the mods I want right now.  If you make some headway on the EET front please keep us posted.  If I get BWS going good with BGEE I will see if there's a way I can post my config somehow (perhaps by posting my BWS folder minus the downloads).  I tend to go for balance, realism and variety in my mod selections, but I usually leave out anything non-canon - in this case anything that clearly doesn't belong in Forgotten Realms.

I should add that the current support for EET in BWS is experimental, at least from what I've heard.  Almost everything in this community is either in a permanent alpha/beta state or no longer supported.  Such is the nature of free projects :/

Edited by psycros, 15 October 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#3196 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:30 AM

It occurred to me that by exiting the BWS install rather than letting it complete I might be robbing the dev(s) of useful data.  This time I just continued or skipped past the issues with Sword Coast Stratagems and the loot randomizer thing.  The Weidu diagnostic output is unchanged from the last run.

EDIT: realized it defaulted to RAR, re-upped as ZIP.

Attached Files

Edited by psycros, 16 October 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#3197 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

BUG Reporting:

Pirate Kit is installed in french although there is english translation (Textpack ENGLISH) available:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #1 #0 // Pirate Kit v1.1: v1 BWP Fix
~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #1 #2 // Species of the parrot, Coco -> Blue-and-yellow macaw (green-blue-yellow) : v1 BWP Fix
~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #1 #6 // Regional innate gifts ->  Pirate of Zakhara: Ultimate Grand Mastery of the scimitar (6th proficiency slot available): For the pirates of the burning sands of Zakhara, scimitars are handled with such skill that they are considered as 2-handed weapons +1, thus benefiting from the same advantages in terms of damage, without the disadvantage of -2 to movement speed due the weight of the latter. : v1 BWP Fix

Greenhorn install using english language:

PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pirate Kit v1.1: v1 BWP Fix

~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Race du perroquet Coco -> Ara ararauna (vert-bleu-jaune) : v1 BWP Fix
~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Dons innés régionaux ->  Pirate de Zakhara : Maîtrise supérieure du cimeterre (6ème étoile de compétence) : Pour les pirates des sables brûlants de Zakhara, les cimeterres ordinaires (non enchantés) sont maniés avec une telle maîtrise qu'ils sont considérés comme des armes à deux mains +1, bénéficiant ainsi des mêmes avantages en terme de dégats, sans l'inconvénient de la lenteur due au poids de ces dernières. : v1 BWP Fix

as you might see yourself, it is installed using french

#3198 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

BUG Reporting:

Pirate Kit is installed in french although there is english translation (Textpack ENGLISH) available:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #1 #2 // Species of the parrot, Coco -> Blue-and-yellow macaw (green-blue-yellow) : v1 BWP Fix

Greenhorn install using english language:

~PIRATE/SETUP-PIRATE.TP2~ #0 #2 // Race du perroquet Coco -> Ara ararauna (vert-bleu-jaune) : v1 BWP Fix

as you might see yourself, it is installed using french

This is because the BWS always considers the first #x number to be English if it's 0, and other language if it's 1 or more. It can be made specifically different, but I would recommend that the pirate mod would be changed to reflect the other mods setups. Just cause, it's done this way in every mod out there.

You just need to switch the LANGUAGE ~~ lines to be in different order.

Edited by The Imp, 25 October 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#3199 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi Imp.

Thanks for the explanation. I got it now. Well, inverting the two is easy enough

EDIT: however thinking about it... there a lot of other mods using a different language as 0. Uldar, TS25MiniMod (yeah I know english translation is not available yet but I translated into english - no one proofread it for now), Thael, and many many more

Wouldn't it be easier to sync with BWP tra.txt? Just asking as I am not involved in BWS

EDIT II: Following your suggestion... a full set of BWS Textpack patches would be needed.

Edited by Nightfarer, 25 October 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#3200 -blup-

-blup-

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:11 AM

BWS reads the info from the mods ini-file.

devin

sovereign

So as you see, 0 is not English by default. If you look at Config/Global/pirate.ini, you should find out that someone put Tra=FR:0,EN:1 in there...

As to Greenhorns "install bug": I don't know his configuration and BWS version and all the depending files from the beginning of the year and if your translation was up there and so on... so reproducing could be complicated...