Photo

Questions about global-searching, thief skills and 'happy patch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

I recently had some troubles with a quest in Dark Sid of the Sword Coast, where after I slew the Forest Dragon, nobody was acknowledging it in game. I cheated in Cu'Choinneach to get access to Daerthmac's Citadel, and proceeded. I was looking like crazy for the global for the dragonslaying quest, but I realized that I don't actually know how to search for globals/dialogues in NearInfinity or ShadowKeeper... Can anyone explain it to me?

Anyway, I later discovered this stupid cave with 2 baby forest dragons that still needed slaying, so the fault was actually mine, and I could proceed as normal afterwards.

Who can tell me what I need to know about thieving skills?

- Pickpocket: My main character has 100 points in this, and rarely fails a pickpocket. There are some characters that can't be robbed, like Callahan(?) in Ulgoth's Beard. If my skill went over 100, would there be a chance to pickpocket him, or not? I get the impression 100 is the max requirement here.

- Open Locks: I'm nearly certain 100 is the maximum skill required here.

- Detect Traps: This needs to be activated to start detecting, which is annoying. Anyway, actually disarming happens with the Open Locks skill, am I right? Would having 100+ Detect skill do anything to make detection speed/chance better?

- Move Silently: I think this is intended to reduce noise from heavy armours, but I'm not really clear on it. I think it reduces chances of hidden units being spotted. Will going over 100 be useful?

- Hide in Shadows: This determines your chances to hide in shadows, and higher skill will counter any observers and other environmental effects reducing your hide success. I'm almost certain that going over 100 is a good thing here. But where should it reasonably stop? 200?

- Detect Illusion: This allows you to spot hidden door as well as mage spells, if I understand correctly. 100 will suffice for both in all circumstances?

- Set Traps: It's clear that this needs to be fairly high in order to be able to set traps safely. I wonder if the HLA traps have higher risk involved... Same question as always: Is there any point in going over 100?

Happy Patch does not make me a happy camper at all... Of course it's better than evil units leaving forever, but the version i'm using now is a lot more annoying than the one I installed in my first megamod playthrough in 2008.

I have Edqwin and Viconia as mainstays, but every time my reputation is in the 19-20 range, they blurt out a (forced) departure line. For 1 or 2 rounds they are still in my party, then I get a joinup dialogue (press 2 to recruit, reload if you pressed the wrong button). No buffs are gone, all spells are still memorized, so I guess it's not the end of the world. But Viconia happens to have the +2rep for departing, and -2 for rejoining. This does present a spot of bother, because not only is my rep back to 18 after the dialogues, but the whole song&dance will occur again whenever I get another rep boost.

My WeiDU is here. But what I'm hoping for is a little coding help. Can anyone help me delete Viconia's reputation modifiers? That's all I need really. Otherwise, a fix to the strange leave-rejoin dialogues would help too.

#2 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Thieving skills:

Pickpocket benefits from over 100.

Open locks - 115 or so is all you need, same for Detect Traps (you use this to disarm as well, not Open Locks)

Move Silently and HiS - the more the better, but you can use potions/spells/rings to be invisible as well

Detect Illusion allows you to dispel illusion spells, not find secret doort (thief does this automatically, other need to roll according to manual)

Set Traps - 100 is all you need

For Happy Patch - I don't use it so.... :(

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

You also need to know that the game has kinda bad coding thing with the rogue skills, as if they go over the 155 point limit, they actually become negative ! So the 156 is actually -100.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

@Jarno
It's 255, and didn't ToBEX provide a fix for that?

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#5 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

It did indeed, for all wrap-aroud values.

#6 coineineagh

coineineagh
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys.

My happy patch problem seems to have fixed itself - now Viconia doesn't reduce reputation if she rejoins. No idea why.