Mini Review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -MissBehave-

-MissBehave-

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

So I totally missed out for the longest time. I got back into BG2 last year when I noticed how many amazing new mods had been released in the time I was away from the game. I promptly downloaded numerous NPC mods and played them with great enjoyment. Then I eventually stopped playing again when I figured I was out of new content. Adrian had not made it onto that list of played Mods. Why? Because I saw his alignment and never even gave him a chance. I had tried and failed to play evil before. I'm just bad at being bad.

So I stopped playing for many months again, waiting for 'in progress mods' to be released. Well that's a horrible waiting game and I'm clinically impatient. I gave the list of released NPCs another look, searching for a promising romance mod. And stumbled on to Adrian again. I thought 'what the heck' and gave him a try. Boy am I glad I did!

The good: Very well written. I enjoy our conversations. His past is interesting. I'm not having to force myself to chose dialogue options that won't break the romance (ie Anomen. Or Diriel.)  I also enjoy his interactions with 'the gang', in my case Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia and Aran. Not that he talks to Aran obviously. I had others such as Edwin along for a bit as well. His quest line was interesting and didn't tax my patience trying to complete it. Best of all, he's really not THAT evil. Sure he's jaded, vain and opportunistic, but you get the feeling its nurture and not nature. He hasn't said anything that my chaotic good swashbuckler can't roll with. I am a little curious as to what the Master Wraith will reveal...

The bad: After a very promising first kiss I found the first 'come to my bedroll' dialogue a total let down. I will try again, this time turning him down after the nightmare talk and see if that changes anything. If not, then that one begs for a rewrite. I tried resting throughout the rest of the game in different locations to see if a talk to make up for it would pop, but none did. You get to grope him through PID, even new PID in the Underdark, but no nooky. For a guy who's supposed to be oh so experienced I was hoping for more. I'm only just starting ToB so I have my fingers crossed that something will happen here. He has a very interesting conversation about the Mistress of Pain with Viconia, I figure that would make for great rest talk material! I was also disappointed in two other instances. I expected more from his post Vampire talk and a pre Irenicus talk (going down the stairs, or opening the eye gate). Maybe I have the wrong feel for the character, but just like the Haer'dalis mod I expected him to eventually gush a little, show some emotion. I feel like its in there somewhere and it would warm my little thief's heart if he expressed it.

The ugly: I'm experiencing some glitches and fatal runtime errors and the like, but I'm not ready to place the blame at Adrian's feet. He might have just been the straw to break the camel's back, as I have a lot of NPC mods installed and its probably about time to clean up my weidu log.

In conclusion: Love the mod, really looking forward to finishing up ToB to see what he still has in store. Now if he just indulged my inner letch a little more.... but I guess that's why I have Aran along.

#2 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey there! I'm glad you're enjoying him. =)

Did you find a bedroll type option in the PID menu? Because it should be there once you hit committed, and he'll stop turning you down fairly quickly. The one that comes up eventually in the tracked dialogue is more a failsafe mechanism than anything else in case the player never did find the "real" one, which is... at least slightly descriptive, IIRC. I'm allergic to action text in general, and I shy away from smut in particular, so don't expect anything more than PG13. I'll need to take another look at the Vampire/Tree-of-Life stuff, though. I tend to try for understated in places like that, though sometimes I miss it and end up at "so subtle it's non-existent" instead.

Could you tell me exactly what glitches you're getting? I doubt they're related, since there's not really a *whole* lot that can go horribly wrong here, but better safe than sorry.

#3 -MissBehave-

-MissBehave-

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Oh say it isn't so! I never saw a bedroll PID. *cry* I finished BG2 and I'm just leaving Saradush in ToB and nada. This calls for a replay. Good thing I kept a very early save. Is there a trick to it? Outside, Inn, etc? I tried getting him drunk (with wine, no less) but that got me no where. I respect your aversion to writing smut, but I'm looking forward to something more than 'Come to my bedroll later' 'Sure, I'd like that'. Is it possible to link what you've already written for the PID to the timered bedroll talk so nobody misses out? As for the post Vampire talk, maybe I didn't catch the right replys to chose for where I would have liked the conversation to go. But when I didn't get a heart to heart moment before or after Irenicus either I was pretty bummed. I'm still determined to chip away at that stoney exterior. Looking forward to anything else you'd like to add to the mod, he's a blast. And a girl can never have too much content. :D

#4 -MissBehave-

-MissBehave-

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

Oh right! Errors. The worst one was triggered by opening the map from what I could tell. You'd open the map, it would freeze, finally you'd get the map, it would go back to the game screen with no problem but the next time you'd try to save the game would freeze on the save screen and crash. This never happened before I installed Adrian but on the other hand I probably should have cleaned up my game folder a long time ago.

Also post Vampire revival, Adrian refused to talk to me. He'd appear, blue circle, but when you clicked on him to talk nothing would happen. My party was full at the time so I tried kicking Mazzy out and then talking to him but this didn't work either. I fixed this by reloading a previous save and making sure I had a spot for him in the party before reviving him. Then it went off without a hitch. Normally it wouldn't even have been an issue but in this play through I hadn't done the Temple questline yet, which is how I ended up with a full party.

#5 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

An option shooould be showing up after the 22nd talk. Unless it's broken. Which is always a possibility! Actually there's a response at the end of talk 22 which should trigger it happening at the next rest regardless. If I *were* to rework the timered dialogue in general, I'd probably just cut the reference from the SoA talk entirely and work it into the first ToB one instead. And I've pulled him out of storage to get ready for BG2EE anyway, so... we'll see!

As for the bugs, this mod doesn't play around with the maps at all, really, so I don't think that's related. The other one might just be some bizarre fluke. Let me know if it happens again, though.

Oh! Especially if you're going back to SoA again, there *is* half-finished crossmod with Aran wandering around the workrooms somewhere. Actually we may have gotten through SoA, I'm not really sure. It should probably be tested anyway, though, so I can look into getting it to you, if you're interested.

#6 -MissBehave-

-MissBehave-

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Sign me up! Always happy to take new content for a spin. I'll even do a clean install if that'll help out. :)