Photo

Dying at very start of game

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Kovram930

Kovram930
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

A quick word to say i can now play BG from the start WITHOUT dying before the intro movie starts.Working with the members of this forum, somehow something was changed and i no longer see my saved game or newly created characters die at the CandleKeep Inn. 

A great :new_thumbs:  to SHS and its helpful people :clap:

#22 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

A quick word to say i can now play BG from the start WITHOUT dying before the intro movie starts.Working with the members of this forum, somehow something was changed and i no longer see my saved game or newly created characters die at the CandleKeep Inn. 

A great :new_thumbs:  to SHS and its helpful people :clap:

Hi people.

Kovram930's solution to this problem was not clearly published, so I'm writing because I'm experiencing the same exact problem. Can you help me somehow?

Here is the WeiDU.log for my installation:

Spoiler

I don't know why the last row states an "Uninstall" (I didn't make that uninstall on purpose).
After installation I started a new game with a simple evocationist mage and as soon as the game starts in Candlekeep I'm asked to asnwer to a question where it asks me the difficulty level I want to play.
It doesn't matter which level I choose, then my main characted immediately dies.
I tried to uninstall at first Psionic_Unleashed (using PS WeiDU (Un)Installer v0.03) and nothing has changed (so I would think it's not this mod fault). I tried to uninstall Generalized Biffing too but now the game is not even starting, locking in the Throne of Bhaal Extender command prompt window.

I would be very thankful to you if somebody could help me. Thanks. 

#23 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

I don't know why you were dying at the start of the game, but because you have this new problem we will have to solve it first and then we can investigate your original problem if it is still happening.

I'm currently experiencing your new problem too (the game won't start at all) with a different installation, and I'm not sure why yet, so it MIGHT not be because of anything you did.

However, just to check -- did you run the "cleanup" script (Big World Install.bat)?  That deletes backup files that Generalized Biffing needs for the uninstall process.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#24 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

No, I did not run the cleanup script.

The second problem is not so important for me (game not starting), maybe I messed up the installation with one of the two uninstall (actually three, I removed widescreen too before Generalized Biffing, I forgot to write it before): I can go around it restoring the backup and reinstalling all the mods tonight.

But which mod should I avoid? Should I temporary avoid to install Generalized Biffing and Widescreen? Maybe I can install them later on when the installation runs ok?

I'm quite a newbie on mods handling (I made it just once 4 years ago and then I decided to play again those days), but as far as I read around without Generalized Biffing should be easier to uninstall/install mods, am I right?

So, while waiting for some other answer, my idea would be to install all mods again (except Generalized Biffing and Widescreen as I said), try to start a new game and, if the main character dies again, remove the mods one by one starting from the last and going back, trying to start a game after each step until it runs ok (so it should mean that I have found one of the mods in conflict).

What do you think about it? Does it have sense? I know it could be a long process...

#25 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

If you have the patience, try it the other way: start a new install and pause after every few mods to try starting a game.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#26 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

By the way, the mod that adds the dialogue about setting the difficulty at the start of the game is The Biggs' Tweaks.

#27 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

Ok, I'm going to do a new clean install today and I will try as you said.

Yesterday night I copied my faulted installation and I will use that as base folder for the new installation; I will delete from there the folders needed as stated here, overriding them with the folders from a clean SoA\Tob installation. This way I should save some time for installation, right? Does BWS recognize also the packets already extracted so that is faster in that part of the installation?

I'll let you know through the day...

#28 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:44 AM

No, BWS will extract everything again. Checking every single file to see if it is the right version is more complicated than just extracting again.

#29 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

Yes, it's almost finished extracting right now. It took me some time this morning to check again all the list with dependencies and conflicts.

Here is a preview of what I'm going to install in this attempt (there are a few differences from the WeiDU.log posted above). It's the BWS selection export:

Spoiler

#30 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

@bergadario: Run this in your finished install game:

mkdir change-log
WeiDU.exe --log nul --change-log kit.ids >change-log/change-log.txt --out change-log

The supposed fix for the Kovram's problem was a weidu update... or a mod update that was supposed to be used while he wasn't, that had the potential to create the whole problem.

It's the BWS selection export:

How old is the base of that ? Aka do you always use a base, or have you created that recently ... say the last 10 days ? Cause if it's centuries old...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#31 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

I run the command in the faulted installation and from the few posts I read in the last days about this, I think there could be some problems with BARBARIAN and WILDMAGE (both declared twice and in wrong place maybe?). Here is the kit ids:

Spoiler

Relatively to the second question, do you mean my mods list is outdated?

Well, on February 2nd I downloaded the BWS archive from the official thread (I'm not sure 100%, it was late night and I was a bit asleep, but I think so :lol2: ).

Actually right now I downloaded the BWS archive again and launching the program I see the loading page has a different image...  :ermm: 

Do you suggest to stop running installation and start all over? Hope not...

#32 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:15 AM

Ok guys, I really need your help...after the new installation, this one is even worst than the one I made at first: the music in the GUI menu for choice of BG1 / BG2 is totally accelerated. If I try to load a savegame or create a new game I end up with this error:

Error.jpg

I solved the file not found problems copying the files from the other installation into the Override folder, but the CTD due to the AssertionFailed on game load or new game remains.

What should I do?  :crying:

#33 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

If can help you, here is the WeiDU.log content:

Spoiler

and here the list of the installation failed mods (from the log at the end of BWS process):

Spoiler

#34 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:59 AM

The assertion error has something to do with a BMP file -- probably incorrectly formatted (truncated), but not sure.  I've usually seen that error not at game start but later in the game, and I've suspected some relationship to area light maps (area##LM.BMP or area##LN.BMP), but never actually zeroed in on it.  Since this has to do with graphics you might also want to double-check your graphics settings including 3D accel.

However, I think your current install is quite broken and you should try again.  You've selected a lot of Expert mods and components that you might want to reconsider.  Skip the following mods and components at least:

You should also download the latest BWS because some of these (e.g., Eternal Imoen) aren't even selectable for BGT now.

~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Expert Mod In Selection: EternalImoen
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #22 // Expert Mod In Selection: w_psionics_unleashed
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #24 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(4000)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #25 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(4500)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #26 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(5000)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #27 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(5500)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #28 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(6000)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Expert Component In Selection: tb#tweaks(6500)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #31 // Expert Component In Selection: Turambar_fixes_tweaks(2045)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #32 // Expert Component In Selection: Turambar_fixes_tweaks(2050)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #33 // Expert Component In Selection: Turambar_fixes_tweaks(2051)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #34 // Expert Mod In Selection: UniqueArtifacts
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #44 // Expert Component In Selection: 1pp_hq_music_BGT(+)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #45 // Expert Component In Selection: 1pp_hq_music_BGT(0)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #46 // Expert Component In Selection: 1pp_hq_music_II(0)
~SETUP-BWS.TP2~ #0 #47 // Expert Component In Selection: 1pp_hq_music_ToSC(0)

#35 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for support Abg1. This morning I started a new installation but I decided to abort it after reading your post: actually I was "aiming too high" with that kind of Expert installation.

Now I'm going to start a new one with the latest BWS (it autoupdated itself right now, including Baldurdash 1.73 to the stable mods like stated here.

Anyway I think there is a problem for downloading Baldurdash 1.73: the direct link refers to a Google Drive file not accessible. Same thing trying to dowload the file directly from The Black Wyrm...).

I'd like to ask you if is there a verified WeiDu.log or a BWS selection.ini file to start from, just to be sure the installation is going to end ok.

I would like to start from the Tactical selection, including if possible only those Expert ones:

• The NeverEndingJourney (v. 6.91 and 6.94 patch)
  • Jarls BGT Adventure Pack (stated as OK from kreso here)
  • Tome and Blood
  • Throne of Bhaal Revisited (this one is "less important", so if you think could be really faulty I will not install it).

What do you think about it?

Thanks.  :new_thumbs:

#36 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

Vlad did mention that BDash v1.74 is impending

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#37 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

Baldurdash 1.73 isn't really compatible with megamods. I'm fairly certain SCS won't be able to digest it w/o some manual tweaking (iirc kits/spells.ids or something gets messed up); am not sure about other mods. 

#38 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

So should I start my installation with Baldurdash 1.68 instead? What about the other Expert mods installation I asked about? Am I going to have problems with them? Thanks.

#39 bergadario

bergadario
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

(I was asking to the others about the other mods, thanks for your contribute kreso)

#40 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

NEJ 694 might be OK, but it hasn't had extensive testing with other mods. It is also out of date (Vlad has a new version but hasn't released it for public use).

Tome and Blood is brand new. Expect bugs!

Not sure about TOBR. I would skip for now.

The BWP Fixpack patches Bdash 1.73 to disable most of it (overlap with G3 Fixpack), so it should be safe enough now. But I guess the download link is not public (hadn't realized this). Sorry!