SWTOR is good! And it's free!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ok, this topic is so full of love and adoration that it made me want to learn of SWTOR and possibly to play it. :Tasty:

While learning, however, I've noticed two issues I'd like to have an expert opinion about, please :)
1. It is important for me to have as much of game content available as possible (not "available" as in "owned immideately", but rather as in "possible to own should I put enough ingame effort to it"). So, from this point of view, what should one buy to have most content available in SWTOR? Is it just subscription plus Digital upgrade pack, or there's other DLCs not readily visible from SWTOR store?
2. I know that buying SWTOR Collectors Edition opens some ingame content not available by other means, like few items and a new shop with, well d'uh, more items. Are these things any good, are they really worth that $150 Collectors Edition currently goes for?

Edited by Creepin, 01 December 2013 - 02:45 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#42 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

2. I know that buying SWTOR Collectors Edition opens some ingame content not available by other means, like few items and a new shop with, well d'uh, more items. Are these things any good, are they really worth that $150 Collectors Edition currently goes for?

The Collector's Edition is definitely not worth it.

#43 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

We're online again! Patch 2.5 is up - I understand it's multiplayer space battles(12 vs 12) - I barely scrape by in solo battles, so I think I'll pass. Anyway, it sounds nice.

(some other changes, but most importantly, the servers are LIVE again!)

#44 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

@Kulyok are you an addict already? :lol2:  I'm starting to worry, I thought I try SWTOR today, but servers were down. I only managed to create nice little Sith Warrior and wander a little on Korriban, but that's all. I need to go to Ajunta Pall's tomb to get some gear. Probably not lightsaber yet :crying:

Anyway, how can I see how many Exp I have and how many do I need for Level Up? I do not see any Exp bar or any info about Exp amount...it annoys me to be truth, but maybe I'm blind.

#45 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

The exp bar is at the bottom of the screen under your quick bar. It's very thin, but visible. Green or yellow.

#46 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Ah I see it now, maybe I am blind after all. Ok, so it's time for 2-3 hours play and then we'll see if I can give it a shot on a long run.

#47 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

Are these cartel points obtainable in game via quests or sth like that or do I must spent real money to have them?

Overall, the game is quite nice, but nowhere near as fun as KOTOR and KOTOR 2. And these constant spawns are killing me....but it's the charm of MMORPG I suppose.

I don't know if I could go with the flow, I have a feeling that just 2-3 more sessions and I might get bored...we'll see. I'm definitely single-player type of guy...it's like that this constant running around takes too much time. To little RPG for my tastes.

#48 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Cartel coins are mostly about the real money, yes. I'm getting 500 each month as a subscriber, but they can't afford anything(maybe an extra line of inventory slots for my account, but that's all).

I'm recommending 

1) keep updating your weapons every two levels or so, it'll help; You'll get access to GTN with game money - if you shutttle to Imperial Fleet, Galactic Trade Network is your oyster. :)

2) do all the small quests you can, they net a surprising amount of XP;

3) use +25xp% bonuses, if you feel you're downlevelling;

4) at least trying Imperial Agent storyline before you get bored;

#49 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the advice so far Kulyok, I'm slowly beginning to understand this game :) I can't wait I'll hit level 10 and get this blasted Sprint ability.

Ok, I keep wondering that having a companion might help a lot (I can't beat this bloody beast in the Blood Legacy quest), but.....where can I find one? Can I find one on Korriban or do I have to finally visit the shuttle area and fly to some other sector? I really would like to finish all possible quests on Korriban first, but these are getting more and more difficult. I really need a companion. Preferably some healer or long range shooter. 

And I'm beginning to think that I chose badly with my class. Should have choose Sith Inquisitor really, I think it matches my style (long distance hitter) better. Nevertheless this game has one good thing, I can completely pay no attention to other players and try to soloying this game. Nice.

Oh, one more thing, I have active two Heroic quests. What are these? Am I going to need other players help to finish it? It looks ominous... 

#50 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Ok, I keep wondering that having a companion might help a lot (I can't beat this bloody beast in the Blood Legacy quest), but.....where can I find one? Can I find one on Korriban or do I have to finally visit the shuttle area and fly to some other sector? I really would like to finish all possible quests on Korriban first, but these are getting more and more difficult. I really need a companion. Preferably some healer or long range shooter. 

And I'm beginning to think that I chose badly with my class. Should have choose Sith Inquisitor really, I think it matches my style (long distance hitter) better. Nevertheless this game has one good thing, I can completely pay no attention to other players and try to soloying this game. Nice.

Oh, one more thing, I have active two Heroic quests. What are these? Am I going to need other players help to finish it? It looks ominous... 

The companion will help with that quest a lots... at least on SI... now you get it from the main quest. Well at least the SI got if form it, so.

The Heroic quests are harder than usual ones and you need to have an ally to get them done, or a companion, you should notice too that the level in them usually indicates the challenge setting ... so you can's do a quest with level 8 character if you get it at level 8 because there will be a level 8 boss there for sure ... level 11 character with a Companion will slice the beast easily. I did the heroic quests on the Free-to-play_char before I left the planet and at that point they were easy.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#51 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Ah, so it seems that I did not advance in a main plot too far, to obtain a personal companion yet :whistling:

So, basically if I have a companion and I'll achieve enough high level I might be able to do Heroic quest without a need to hoop up with other players? Because I like solo game too much. 

I don't know, how can I force myself to socialize in this game? I don't like chatting and the only way of cooperation in computer gaming that I know of and appreciate, is when I can control all characters who need to cooperate with each other :P 

Maybe I loose all the fun from this game? I'm just confused know. For a solo game it's decent but that's it...and I'm sure it have a lot more potential than that, but this potential is its MMO aspect I would imagine. But it's not appealing to me. How can I possibly change that? Is this even possible for a hardcore solo player? 

#52 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

You'll be able to finish the Heroic quests once you get a companion(main quests, can't miss). Don't force MMO aspect - you'll be gently nudged to join parties for flashpoints and such eventually, so it'll come and you'll enjoy it. I would advise to join the guild - this will give you more bonus xp and friendly people from your own country(mine is Russian, for example)

#53 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

Folks, please, help a girl out: I started an Imperial agent(nice, though the story is not That Much Better Than All Other Stories, it's even a bit dull before Dromund Kaas. I'd still go for Sith Warrior - or Sith Inquis, if that's your playstyle).

And I want to romance Kaliyo, because Vector... well, frankly, I'd rather romance Darth Jadus.

Do I have to buy an expansion or something? I'm a subscriber, and I'm willing to pay for a same sex romance add on or whatever, but the Cartel Market has just too many items for me to find it.

#54 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

There is no same-sex companion romance in TOR, despite developers promising before launch that it would be added soon. In the 50s, in the expansion you have to buy, there is one same-sex flirt prompt per gender per faction that leads absolutely nowhere.

The Agent story, for the record, really takes off later in Act 1 and throughout Act 2. Act 2 isn't called The Mind Trap for nothing.

Edited by Tempest, 08 December 2013 - 09:45 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#55 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

In the 50s, in the expansion you have to buy

Huh, what expansion are you talking about? As far as I figured out, there's two by now: Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Galactic Starfighter, and from what I reckon, both are automatically available for subscribers, or did I miss something? :huh:

#56 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

In the 50s, in the expansion you have to buy

Huh, what expansion are you talking about? As far as I figured out, there's two by now: Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Galactic Starfighter, and from what I reckon, both are automatically available for subscribers, or did I miss something? :huh:

Rise of the Hutt Cartel. I personally don't recommend subscribing, so if you want the content (which I also don't recommend - it's bland and tedious) you have to buy the expansion. There is one non-companion NPC you can flirt with regardless of PC gender per gender per faction.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#57 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

I am wondering, what do I do with the Legaxy xp ? As in, if I level it up, what do I get ?
What are the best places to invest your cartel coins... especially for a free to play player ?
And where should I pour my planet coins to ?

Amater MM -questions, yep, sue me !

Edited by The Imp, 09 December 2013 - 07:33 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#58 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

I am wondering, what do I do with the Legaxy xp ? As in, if I level it up, what do I get ?
As for "another experience" :) it's kinda shared between all chars on your account. It opens up some skills and items and looses race/class restrictions, among other things. Short brief is located here to start off research. I must say, official site is horribly counter-intuitive, I googled this link but I'd never found just by browsing the site :)

As for best things to dump gold (cartel money) for, I'm curious as well :)

Edited by Creepin, 09 December 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#59 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Cartel coins are very useful to me for buying inventory space _for the account_. Also, since I'm a girl, I can always make girly things: go to the character mirror on Dromund Kaas or Cartel Market and change my appearance using cartel coins.

Planetary commendations are very important - you are going to want to get "orange" weapon(lightsaber, blaster rifle, whatever), and you're going to want to change its mods every two levels(at least barrel/hilt mod, it's pure damage), and it costs 14 coins at least - for your weapon and for your companion's.

Money... honestly, I don't know. Maybe just blue equipment at GTN. Or buying good lasting reusables(if you use biochem, otherwise you can't use them) - they don't bind to account and you can sell them afterwards.

EDIT: completely forgot. Experience boosts are always good and pricey for everyone.

(And, yeah, subscribing carries overlevelling. Ugh).

Edited by Kulyok, 09 December 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#60 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'll just add that Female Agent has Hawke's voice(very nice) and female trooper has Commander Shepard's voice(total match, it's incredible). I love my female Sith Warrior, she's my main, but I'm going to try Trooper in the nearest future.

(Bounty Hunter female is Viconia/Grey DeLisle, and she's very fine, too. Her Diablo Wizard female voicing is incredible. Sith Inquisitor female's voice is quite fitting, too. Can't stand any of Jedi girls' voices, though. :( )