SWTOR is good! And it's free!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. :) His dialogue may be a bit cheesy(I think I liked Torian Cadera's dialogue better, though not the looks) and his eyes are strange, but I'd like to check him out. And everyone seems to recommend Imperial Agent's storyline.

#22 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

Wait, wait, WAIT!  Hold it right there, there are *romances* in SW:TOR?!?!?  :woot:   I might just start playing again...  :rolleyes:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sith Warrior, right away! It's not long, it's like five or six short lovetalks in total, maybe, from what I know? But I want it. :)

(any sith class is fine - Bounty Hunter is a nice vanilla romance, Andro for Sith Inquisitors is like that Aaron Gend guy from NWN, and Imperial Agent has a "I'm a strange semi-telepathic guy with a hive mind, romance me!" romance with pretty flat dialogue(but it's nice, I think). But I have a feeling, a strong feeling in the Force, that Sith Warrior and Quinn beat them all).

#24 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

And speaking of non-romanceable great characters, there're at least two Logain-voiced ones: one is Grand Moff Kilran, a quest-giver on your first flashpoint(excellent dialogue!), and another is Darth Skotia from Sith Inquisitor's Prologue line(over pretty soon, for obvious reasons, since he's the antagonist. But I wanted to hug him and cuddle with him and tickle him all the way). His dialogue falls flat at times, but Simon Templeton is the best - he makes every line sound.

Darth Baras' actor from Sith Warrior storyline(your master) is incredible. And all the voicing for female characters is nice, too - I love Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor females both, and other Sith girls seem great.

#25 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Wait, wait, WAIT!  Hold it right there, there are *romances* in SW:TOR?!?!?  :woot:   I might just start playing again...  :rolleyes:

There's a """"""""romance"""""""" in which you shock a slave into pavlovian submission

#26 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

It's BioWare.  I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, try it out and form my own opinion.  :)

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#27 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Some classes / sex combo's get more then one romance as well, such as the male Smuggler and male Sith Warrior (though for the Warrior it depends if you're lightside or darkside I believe)  Whatever you do...Don't roll female Jedi Knight for a romance...You'll thank me later!  

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#28 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Uhoh...  My main, and basically the only character I play is my female Jedi Knight.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#29 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Not buying the expansion, but I just bought two months of subscription time. I'm a sucker. :(

I don't know why nobody mentioned it before, but subscribers get the expansion for free, I suspect they loose access to it once they unsubscribe (but I can't be sure, haven't played the game for ages).

The game isn't bad with exception of sith inquisitor and jedi consular storylines, both are horrible. Inquisitor is nice in the beginning, but once you deal with your master it will just get worse and worse.

Consular storyline is dreadful from start to finish. And your jedi master?! :rolleyes: I wanted to strangle her the moment I met her. :angry:

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#30 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

I'm very happy with my Sith Warrior's master! 

"Master, can I help torture your prisoner?" - "No, but I'll let you deal with the next one."

"AAAARGH, I CANNOT BREAK HIM!" - "Nice lungs you've got there, master." - "Silence, before I've cut off your tongue!"

I'm worried about the mechanics, though - even with the warrior(Marauder/Annihilation) I've got a lot to learn with these Bercerker/Fury/Rage points, and all the guides just say which skills to choose in the tree(I know THAT), but not how to use them to maximize your rage/fury stats and to keep your lifesteal/blooding high.

#31 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

I'm worried about the mechanics, though - even with the warrior(Marauder/Annihilation) I've got a lot to learn with these Bercerker/Fury/Rage points, and all the guides just say which skills to choose in the tree(I know THAT), but not how to use them to maximize your rage/fury stats and to keep your lifesteal/blooding high.

Yeah, I have also noticed that there is no optimizing guides for any of the characters ... unless you wish to pay for such a piece of smelly cheese and I recommend never to do that... for many reasons.

Edited by The Imp, 28 November 2013 - 04:32 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#32 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

The word you want to search for is "rotation".  Here's one of the top results on Google: http://www.noxxic.co...n-and-cooldowns

#33 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Saw this one, thank you! But I still can't understand, what does what(to build rage/fury). That's probably my fault - I should read the abilities' descriptions more carefully. Will do.

I'm getting Quinn soon, but it's a real pity I can't take Vette with me, as well - I like her, she's very nice, not a Sue at all, like I thought at first. I wish we had two companions, but I probably want the impossible.

And I have a question: I'm enjoying space combat and I'll try another flashpoint run soon(greed rolls only, need on lightsabers and better medium str armor), but what about PvP? I'm lvl24, I don't have a group, and I have no idea what to do. I've seen a "Solo" option for the PvP queue, but frankly, I'm scared. I'm gonna get slaughtered, am I? Is there a net etiquette for PvP duels?

#34 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

PvP is not really about 1-on-1 duelling.  There are a number of different team-based PvP arenas and they have different objectives.  You should probably watch some videos about these, but here's a quick rundown.

Voidstar has multiple stages.  One team defends a set of objectives while the other team attempts to take them (by clicking on a doodad and not getting interrupted for X seconds).  If there is a defender near the objective, they just have to damage/move the person to interrupt them, so the attackers generally have to wipe out the nearby enemies or distract them before attempting to take the objective.  The objectives are things like doors and bridges.  Once they have been taken, the attackers can proceed and attempt to take the next objective.  I think it goes doors => bridges => doors => doors => plant bomb.  After the attackers plant the bomb or run out of time, the roles reverse and the other team has to take the objectives.  The winning team is whichever one got furthest most quickly.

Alderaan is a point-control game.  There are 3 points on the map: one to the left, one to the right, and one in the centre.  Teams can take control of a point by clicking on a doodad and not getting interrupted for X seconds.  When a team has control of a point, the enemy team's points will decrease at a steady rate.  Since there are 3 points, one team's points are usually decreasing faster than the other team's.  When a team's points reach 0, they lose.

Huttball is like a sport.  It's played in a football-shaped arena, except there are various connecting walkways overhead.  The objective is to grab the huttball (which spawns in the centre of the map) and take it into the other team's endzone.  If the person carrying the huttball dies, whoever killed them receives the huttball.  The huttball can also be thrown to a teammate by using an ability (make sure to map it to something easy to click) and targetting an area on the ground.  Whoever is closest to the centre of this area where the ball lands will "catch" the ball - so watch out for interceptions.  The arena is also filled with deadly acid pits and timed fire traps.  This one is especially fun if you have movement-related abilities.  Nothing sucks more than almost reaching the endzone and then getting pulled/knocked to the lower level - or into a fire trap.  Protip: if you're about to score the huttball but you're not in imminent danger, don't score it until you know your team is set up at the middle to take it when it respawns.

These were the ones available when the game launched.  They released another one later that I also played, but I don't remember it as well (another point-control type), and they may have released more since then.

I probably spent most of my time at max level playing PvP.  I solo queued for the most part.  It's easy to jump into at low levels (the game will boost your stats so a level 15 guy actually has a chance against a level 30 guy), but you may find your teammates there have little idea what to do.  They might ignore objectives and just try to fight.  At max level, teams will be much better coordinated and you will probably find it more difficult to kill them (playing PvP a lot gives you PvP gear which makes you tougher, and max level guys have probably been playing a while).

#35 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Thank you, a real review from a professional! :)

Then I'll probably watch some videos and, if too difficult, leave it be for a littie while, because it's probably lottery without a real leader(we had no luck at the Athiss flashpoint, then lost a healer, and were totally lost. Then a new healer who came was an experienced played-since-the-beta girl with lots of strategy. We killed fought and killed like no tomorrow).

#36 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

(oh, and I'm Stacey in the game, in case any of you folks want to exchange a line with a fellow Empire modder or need another DPS for a flashpoint or whatever. Level 27 for now - rest xp points are sure a blessing!)

#37 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm very happy with my Sith Warrior's master! 

"Master, can I help torture your prisoner?" - "No, but I'll let you deal with the next one."

"AAAARGH, I CANNOT BREAK HIM!" - "Nice lungs you've got there, master." - "Silence, before I've cut off your tongue!"

I am currently playing a Light-Sided Sith Warrior and I must agree it is certainly one of the best storylines there is in the game.  And it is sooo funny to make fun of Baras knowing he can't do anything back to you :P

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#38 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

Ok, so for a guy who:

- can't stand MMORPG's in almost any form (because it's a RL and money eaters), but LOVE KOTOR and KOTOR 2

- don't want to pay additional fees for playing without worrying, that he can't proceed further, because he plays a weak character and can't compete with anyone

this game is worth trying?

I'd love to play normal single player KOTOR 3, but since it's not an option please tell me, if I can play this game freely and have a good time, or if in some point of the game I will be forced/forcefully pushed to pay for something?

Because I hate to pay for something, if there is a possible way for obtaining the same thing just by playing the game a while longer (yes I'm very hesitant to pay for MMORPG's at all). If there is one and only MMORPG I'm willing to try is SWOTR, but I must be absolutely certain it's worth it.

#39 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

Short answer? Yes, go and play it, you'll have tons of fun. :)

Free-to-play: you won't be able to play extra(Group, Heroic, Flashpoints) quests without help, but most of the content(practically all the good content) remains available to you. And, yes, you're going to be fine - just read a few tutorials.

Jedi Knight, from what they say, is basically KOTOR 3(I like Kotor, but do not love it, so I went to the dark side at once - they have better stories, from what I see).

You won't need to pay, but you will suffer from some setbecks(lower running speed until level 10, fewer auction slots, and if you want to respec your specialization points, you'll have to pay game money). But these are minor, in my opinion.

#40 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Ok, I read several reviews. It seems that this games tries to encourage hardcore single players to MMOR PG in most sensible way, so I decided to give it a cautious go. I'm downloading the game right know and give it a 2-3 hours test period. If I found out it intimidating (its MMO aspects, I mean) I'll pass. If I feel solo game to be fun, I might even play a while longer. 

And of course I'll pick Sith :)  There is no other way.