[BWP/BWS] Canderous keeps gaining the same new spells, over and over..

Big World Project Big World Setup Glitch Bug

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

...and later on, when I finally leave Candlekeep, Montaron keeps gaining New Special Ability: Set Snare. Repeatedly. Even after I kick him from the party.

It's really annoying because it keeps playing the tone over and over and over again, and also because every time it happens, the character is interrupted from doing whatever (usually walking to some place). The only time it stops is during combat. The ToBExLoader console doesn't have any warnings or errors printed to it.

Any idea what mods might be causing this issue?

Here's my BWS mod loadout: http://pastebin.com/pY2DZaR2

#2 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

So I took a look at my save file using ShadowKeeper, while having Canderous on-hand to keep popping his "spell gained" message.

It seems like each time the message triggers, Canderous gets two "AC" Affects with the same time and flags (in this case, 37849 and 0x0001000 fir the first time the message triggered, and 37865 and 0x0001000 for the second trigger, for a total of 4 "AC" Affects)

Still have no idea what could be the cause of this, nor any idea how to go about fixing it (I'm pretty naive re: BG2's engine)

#3 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

Spawned copies of Jaheira + Khalid and Dynaheir + Minsc (in that order). Jaheira has the same problem with her spells, and Minsc with Animal Empathy.

I'm going to have to do a whole dang reinstall to fix this, aren't I? :(

#4 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone know what mod is reponsible for the CDZOSA and CDZOSAREBOOT global variables? Because I think they're what's responsible for the repeated spell/ability gained messages. I've tried changing them and even outright removing them from my save file with ShadowKeeper, but they keep coming back once I actually load the file in-game.

#5 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone know what mod is reponsible for the CDZOSA and CDZOSAREBOOT global variables? Because I think they're what's responsible for the repeated spell/ability gained messages. I've tried changing them and even outright removing them from my save file with ShadowKeeper, but they keep coming back once I actually load the file in-game.

A "simple" way of finding out what mod adds that is to use the Near Infinity to find a script that has that variable in it, and then --change-log the script file, and check the backups made to the change-log -folder of the file that doesn't have it anymore, and thus find the component of the mod.

PS, read the whole message and if you use the archive in the message, make sure NOT to overwrite the weidu.exe file when it's extracted, as the already existing file is more up to date.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

Sorry, can you exaplin in more detail? What is Near Infinity, and how am I supposed to use change-log, exactly? I've never debugged BG modding before.

#7 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

On an entirely random hunch, I removed the "Improved Difficulty System" component of The Bigg Tweaks (hooray for 12+ hour installs just to get rid of a thing!). (Okay, it wasn't an entirely random hunch - I had gotten BWP to work a few days ago but messed up some other stuff, so when I did a reinstall I added the component to my setup)

I don't know if it's entirely fixed the issue, but I can say that

1. Canderous is no longer repeatedly triggering "new spells gained" for his entire spell book.
2. Osprey only triggered twice.
3. Jaheira no longer repeatedly triggers "new spells gained" for her entire spell book.
4. Minsc no longer repeatedly triggers "new ability gained: animal empathy".

So...good enough, maybe?

#8 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

CDZOSA is from IWDification :unsure:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#9 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hmm, the only components of IWDification I'm using are the spell packs (both arcane and divine) and the 2H Ax item. That would explain the "new spells gained" message, but not why they'd repeat infinitely.

Also, new (minor) glitch: Dynaheir plays her dying sound instead of saying "thy decency is refreshing when so many we meet are... lacking".

#10 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

What is Near Infinity, and how am I supposed to use change-log, exactly?

Well, Near Infinity is one of the game editors, there's a small info pack about it here, there's more about it in it's links. Say, if the global was found by the NearInfinity to be in the "baldur.bcs" file, you extract the archive in the above link, edit the file with Notepad and change the "########.###" to be "baldur.bcs", both time without the quotes, and then save and run the file in the game directory like it was a .exe file, it will open the windows command console and produce the result into the change-log folder. And then you go to the change-log folder and proceed from there on out.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#11 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

A couple of Dynaheir's combat yells are wrong also (that is, they don't match the subtitles).

Imoen's backstab modifier is x1. She's level 5.

All undead creatures have a visual effect on them at all times (swirly, white lights).

The hidden stashes are missing their items (e.g. the Ring of Wizardry at Friendly Arm Inn).

Man, what the hell is going on with this mod install...

#12 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Man, what the hell is going on with this mod install...

That happens if you don't read Readme files.

You probably changed Imoen into; my wild guess, Charming rogue.

You probably installed all Spellpack components (to people taking care of BWS - Spellpack's components Imp.Invisibilty & Mislead seem to trigger this as well).

And you probably have either Randomizer  or Hard Times installed.

#13 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

>You probably changed Imoen into; my wild guess, Charming rogue.
I have Imoen Romance, "Imoen the Eldritch Phantom" from Hidden Kits, "Give Imoen her BG2 portrait" from BG1 NPC Project, and "Imoen 'Retrospection' dialogue for BGII: ToB" from IEP Extended Banters installed. Those are the only Imoen-related mods I have installed.

(My Fighter/Mage/Thief also has a backstab modifier of x1, but he's a cheated character (technically he's a Kensai, that I used ShadowKeeper to turn into an FMT) so that may be why.)

Also, my Fighter/Mage/Thief has a backstab modifier of x1, but

>You probably installed all Spellpack components
I don't have any mod named "Spellpack". I have "IWD Arcane Spell Pack" and "IWD Divine Spell Pack" from IWDification, and Lost Crossroads Spell Pack for BG2 (Beta). I also have Spell Revisions installed (except for "Update Spellbooks of Joinable NPCs" because it conflicts with Divine Remix).

>And you probably have either Randomizer or Hard Times installed.
Randomiser yes ("Randomise items -> Mode 2: Randomise with WeiDU. No items are lost", "Do not randomise items that are used by mods"), Hard Times no.

#14 kreso

kreso
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

Item Revisions sensible backstab weapons or similar perhaps? Try using dagger/short sword for backstab, see if it changes anything.

Spellpack = Lost Crossroads Spellpack

As for Randomizer, you'll find that loot is in the same containers (not the tree trunk however), only different loot than vanilla. 

#15 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

>Try using dagger/short sword for backstab
Ah! That fixed it. Thanks very much. (I currently have Imoen using a shortbow.)

>As for Randomizer, you'll find that loot is in the same containers (not the tree trunk however), only different loot than vanilla.
Yeah, I've noticed this. Like, the hole in the Nashkel farm doesn't have Ankheg armor (I found that in the cave by the Beregost Temple instead). Still, the Friendly Arm Inn hidden stash had no items at all... well, whatever. As long as the items aren't actually missing, I'm overall fine with that.

So really, the only bug I've got (so far) is Dynaheir's sounds being occasionally wrong (her combat yells, one of her compliments), and that's infrequent enough that it's hardly ruining the game for me. Cool.

#16 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

Hah, another minor glitch: Xan can't equip his Moonblade. Good thing I don't plan on keeping him in my party.

#17 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

Whichever mod assigned the snowstorm-looking visual effect to Wraith Spider attacks has brought my Core i7 to its knees. Have to kill BGMain.exe and hope on a reload that I don't fight Wraith Spiders... I imagine I could, in fact, defeat them. If, y'know, BG didn't lag to death beforehand.

#18 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Whichever mod assigned the snowstorm-looking visual effect to Wraith Spider attacks has brought my Core i7 to its knees. Have to kill BGMain.exe and hope on a reload that I don't fight Wraith Spiders... I imagine I could, in fact, defeat them. If, y'know, BG didn't lag to death beforehand.

Have you done all you can to cope with the LAG ? The last and not mentioned way is to allow the BGMain.exe to use +2Gb's ram with programs such as the NTCore's Explorer Suite.

It's likely to be the Ambient sounds, again.

Edited by The Imp, 22 March 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#19 -SomethingAwesome-

-SomethingAwesome-

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

It's not a big deal. I just Ctrl+Y'd all of the spiders quick as I could after killing the game process and reloading. It's not because of ambient sounds, unless the spell effect itself also creates an ambient sound?

That's a fairly minor issue though - right now I have a game-breaking showstopper bug. I can't enter Tazok's tent (in the Bandit Camp area) without the game crashing during the loading screen. Which means I can't advance the plot.

#20 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

It's not because of ambient sounds, unless the spell effect itself also creates an ambient sound?

That's not exactly what I meant, but that that as the lag has multiple factors contributing to it, and the correct way actually doesn't remove the ambient sounds, it just removes them during the time the game is heavily burdened by them and other factors. As it slides to the low end machine settings...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Big World Project, Big World Setup, Glitch, Bug