[Removed] Sandrah NPC

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#901 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

But I can enter only the part where I arrive + part where Elminster house is and temple of mystra, Other part of the city is locked for me.

// I also killed some shadow thieves, but now im completely lost to any progress :D

Spoiler

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#902 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

well thank you very much :) I finished them now :) the second quest at the temple I took before sewers.. hmm and I lost track, only remembering of that is some of require sandrah's healer skills. Sadly I cant find anything in Journal.. :/ so I proceed with some trouble with fishermans and their goddess.. umberle :)
Btw Im playing this mod for first time, and Im impressed of such large mod :)

#903 Bronkhorst

Bronkhorst
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Very much enjoying this mod.

A couple of minor issues that I might have found: -

The shadow druids below the Xzart cave don't do anything in combat. Neither do the two at the Naskal carnival although I believe they originate from Dark Horizons.

Also if you speak to Henning with a wolf pelt before Imoen has the conversation about wanting to track down wolves, it appears to break that quest as all Henning will say after that is that he can't take any more pelts.

#904 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

The shadow druids below the Xzart cave don't do anything in combat. Neither do the two at the Naskal carnival although I believe they originate from Dark Horizons.

All these druids are from Sandrah but I am afraid some mod has overwritten their scripts. If you are able to look that up, it would be interesting to know. This is normally a challanging fight and those druids do not appear unless you are Level4 or better.

Also if you speak to Henning with a wolf pelt before Imoen has the conversation about wanting to track down wolves, it appears to break that quest as all Henning will say after that is that he can't take any more pelts.

Hm, I will look into that, this will indeed block the complete Imoen quest. Thank you for this observation.

The Sandrah Saga

#905 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

I believe I have finished the waterdeep atm, all I can, such interesting quests there :)

#906 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

I believe I have finished the waterdeep atm, all I can, such interesting quests there :)

At later parts of the game there will be new stuff and also more areas to visit - Sandrah or somebody else will tell you when to re-visit.

The Sandrah Saga

#907 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

All these druids are from Sandrah but I am afraid some mod has overwritten their scripts. If you are able to look that up, it would be interesting to know. This is normally a challanging fight and those druids do not appear unless you are Level4 or better.

Hm, I will look into that, this will indeed block the complete Imoen quest. Thank you for this observation.

I have added a new conditions that allows you to sell a pelt for Imoen, regardless of having sold one before.

Henning turns it into a gift for Imoen....without that *Longer Road to Cloakwood* would not start.

Thank you again for this report.

The Sandrah Saga

#908 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

The vanilla game deviates substantially from the AD&D PnP rules, essentially comprising a bunch of "house rules." The Sandrah mod involves several "house rules" that deviate from the basic ruleset.

Wait, so do Sandrah's house rules deviate from vanilla's house rules? :unsure:

Of course they do - almost every single mod out there does.  Sandrah uses a custom kit that is not a vanilla kit, correct?  She has a custom spell selection.  She has abilities and a role as a priest of Mystra that come from Roxanne's imagination, not from 2E PnP sources.  Those are all "house rules."  And it's all great stuff.  It's good to be creative and not straitjacketed by the basic rules.

#909 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

Sandrah is not compatible with Might & Guile or Faith & Powers - both mods replace on a large scale original game resources, conventions and rules and make the joinable NPCs from Sandrah mod unusable and a number of quests not playable. >>> No issue, you will have a fighter cleric for your party who has a talk or two about the weather, nothing game breaking (you may just ask yourself why you installed that load of data).

Uh, WTF?  That's just not true.  Which game resources are "replaced on a large scale?"  None.  Which conventions and rules are changed so as to make joinable NPCs unusable and quests unplayable?  None. 

What exactly are you talking about?

Edited by subtledoctor, 16 January 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#910 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

The vanilla game deviates substantially from the AD&D PnP rules, essentially comprising a bunch of "house rules." The Sandrah mod involves several "house rules" that deviate from the basic ruleset.

Of course they do - almost every single mod out there does.  Sandrah uses a custom kit that is not a vanilla kit, correct?  She has a custom spell selection.  She has abilities and a role as a priest of Mystra that come from Roxanne's imagination, not from 2E PnP sources.  Those are all "house rules."  And it's all great stuff.  It's good to be creative and not straitjacketed by the basic rules.

Ok I'll rephrase my question - will installing Sandrah make Anomen (or any other vanilla NPC) play mechanically differently from how they played without Sandrah installed? Do they still follow the rules laid by vanilla BG2ToB?

From Roxanne's answer here, I would assume no as the answer but I'll let her confirm with the rephrased question :)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#911 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Ok I'll rephrase my question - will installing Sandrah make Anomen (or any other vanilla NPC) play mechanically differently from how they played without Sandrah installed? Do they still follow the rules laid by vanilla BG2ToB?

From Roxanne's answer here, I would assume no as the answer but I'll let her confirm with the rephrased question :)

Sandrah mod does not touch game rules (or *mechanic") at all, it does not alter spells or weapons, does not misplace items.

Any existing NPC will play as the user's installation without Sandrah (may not be vanilla for that user) would play.

The mod of course adds her kit, dialogues etc to the respective 2da and IDS files, but I think this is not what you meant. The mod adds travel triggers and entrances to areas. The mod adds code to some NPC's to trigger interaction/re-action for Sandrah but that does not affect mechanics. The mod assigns a different override file to Edwin during a crossmod episode and restores the original afterwards,

Edited by Roxanne, 17 January 2016 - 01:23 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#912 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

Are there any known issues using Sandrah in combination with the "Game Over Only on Party Dead" (http://www.shsforums...sytutu-and-bgt/) mod?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#913 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

Are there any known issues using Sandrah in combination with the "Game Over Only on Party Dead" (http://www.shsforums...sytutu-and-bgt/) mod?

It makes the RtF sequel obsolete. But only game/story wise, not technically, i.e there is no issue.

RtF makes PC and Sandrah a team to solve their common quest together - if one of them dies, you have lost, i.e PC is supposed to die if killed or if Sandrah dies. But who cares about the contents...

The Sandrah Saga

#914 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

Might be worth adding to the "not recommended" section of readme for those who want to play Sandrah as you intended.  Perhaps we could also develop a patch to disable the "no dying" feature at the beginning of RtF.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#915 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Might be worth adding to the "not recommended" section of readme for those who want to play Sandrah as you intended.  Perhaps we could also develop a patch to disable the "no dying" feature at the beginning of RtF.

Yes, looks like I did not mention it in readme as it only becomes relevant in RtF.

Attached File  Sandrah NPC for the BGT_Readme.doc   234K   123 downloads

No, to a patch - it would force the player to use the mod as I intended it and robbing him of his total freedom to play as he likes.

Edited by Roxanne, 17 January 2016 - 11:38 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#916 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:51 AM

As it stands now, a user doesn't have the choice to disable the "no game over" feature only for RtF - they only have the choice whether to install the "no game over" for the whole game.  I think most users who play RtF (including me) will want to experience it as you intended, so an optional patch to achieve that while also allowing the "no game over" feature to be used in the earlier parts of the game would be appreciated by users who like the "no game over" mod.

Edit:  I wrote optional above because of your point about user freedom.  Personally I can't imagine ever wanting "no game over" to work during RtF, considering it contradicts your intention for that part of the game, but if we want to give users the choice, then making it an optional component would allow for that choice.

Edited by agb1, 17 January 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#917 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

As it stands now, a user doesn't have the choice to disable the "no game over" feature only for RtF - they only have the choice whether to install the "no game over" for the whole game.  I think most users who play RtF (including me) will want to experience it as you intended, so an optional patch to achieve that while also allowing the "no game over" feature to be used in the earlier parts of the game would be appreciated by users who like the "no game over" mod.

I think if you want to play the game in a certain style (e.g. with the no game over feature) you should stick to it. It makes no sense to change the rules you like halfways through the game. Consistency is one of the red threads in Sandrah. The sequel should be a logical extension of the game you are in, not something glued on to the end (This is my primary motivation to re-build the mod for EET).

NB

If I am not mistaken, all it needs for *game over* not to work anymore is to

SetGlobal("#GBhaalHP1","GLOBAL",22)

at your console, where or when you want.

Edited by Roxanne, 17 January 2016 - 12:22 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#918 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

You've made your position clear, so I'll just note that I wouldn't have any trouble accepting a rule change in this aspect after ToB, considering the story up to that point.

#919 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

You've made your position clear, so I'll just note that I wouldn't have any trouble accepting a rule change in this aspect after ToB, considering the story up to that point.

If I am not mistaken, all it needs for *game over* not to work anymore is to

SetGlobal("#GBhaalHP1","GLOBAL",22)

at your console, where or when you want.

The Sandrah Saga

#920 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

That's simple enough.  For now I will add the following note to the "No Game Over" mod description in BWS:

If you also install the Return to Faerun expansion, it is recommended to disable this mod at the end of ToB in order to experience RtF as the author intended.  To disable this mod, enter CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("#GBhaalHP1","GLOBAL",22)