BWS for non-Windows OS

big mods bwp bws

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 @vGur

@vGur
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

This topic was meant to be something else, but become the BWS for Linux and Mac OS discussion. I've no interest in it.

Edited by @vGur, 26 December 2015 - 04:21 AM.

#2 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:13 AM

Hellow! Everyone who starts to build "the beast" needs to know content quality. It's hard to analyze the every single component, easier to give from 1 to 5 stars to large (new areas\quests) mods, that You already tried. Feel free to vote, it's only your personal thaught. There are few things to rate, 1st is areas quality (1 for "very poor" and 5 for "blend in original", 2nd for fun in quests and\or fights and 3rd for bugs  (1 for large unplayable parts, 5 means fully playable). If some components are better to avoid - please tell us.

It should look like: Big Mod name\ area quality(here could be a number or any comment)\ fun \bugs \ avoided components (if any).

Most interesting is 

NTotSC

DSotSC

Drtizzt Saga

SoBH

SoS

TDD

Check the Bodies

Reign of Terror

Fishing for Trouble

Colours of Infinity

etc (any mod with new areas)

Of course NeJ3 and TS

Total converstions that located in Faerun are interesting too

(Return to Trademeet,

Paladins of Faerun,

Classic Adventures)

Thanks for every vote!

My attempt

NTotSC 5 for blending with original, 3 for contents (4 with additional content added by Sandrah mod), 5 for bug free

DSotSC 5 for blending with original, 3 for contents (4 with additional content added by Sandrah mod), 4 for bug free (some other mod just recently added bugs in vanilla BG1 areas that affect Darkside)

Drizzt Saga 3 for blending with original, 3 for contents, 5 for bug free (downside is that you have to get rid of your party for it - unless you install Sandrah mod that allows for Drizzt alone while keeping all other party members)

SoBH 3 for blending with original (it takes you out of the Sword Coast for a long time), 4 for contents (part1) 3 for contents (part2)  , 4 for bug free - part2 is not easy to do without a walkthrough (you can do, but you just get the violent solution, much of the plot can be missed)

SoS 4 for blending with original (it takes you out of the Main Game for a long time), 4 for contents, 4 for bug free (the riddle part may need some help from walkthrough)

TDD 4 for blending with original . 2 to 5 for contents (diifferent independent episodes of varying quality) , 5 for bug free

CtB 3 for blending with original . 2 to 5 for contents (diifferent independent episodes of varying quality) , 5 for bug free

FFT 5 for blending with original .5 for contents, 3 for bug free (still improving)

RoT 4 for blending with original .4 for contents, 5 for bug free (can be done with Sandrah mod, same way as Drizzt Saga)

NEJ and TS should not be considered in this context. especially NEJ is designed to be the only mega mod in a BGT game not to be used with others (even if it is playable in that context, it leads to a different result)

Edited by Roxanne, 22 December 2015 - 03:34 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:12 AM

Worth mentioning to above assessment, that it is assuming the additional installation of one of the tweak mods that level some overpowered items/enemies and excessive XP/Gold rewards from the mega mods.

The Sandrah Saga

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

I have vivid memories of Lava's mods - the Colors of Infinity series - so I'll rate only them :)

5 for blending in

4 for fun

5 for fully playable

I have played through the BG1 mods - DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH & the CtB Chores part but would not rate them because they were a buggy mess and lots of wonderful iterations have happened since I played them :P (fun fact - I've never completed a BG2 game - vanilla or otherwise :lol:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:36 AM

Thanks! We still need every vote!

p.s. Roxanne, tell more about SoS & SoBH, not about the plot that takes us out of the Sword Coast, but about art quality of maps.

#6 -@vGur-

-@vGur-

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

p.s. Roxanne, tell more about SoS & SoBH, not about the plot that takes us out of the Sword Coast, but about art quality of maps.

#7 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

Both mods use (slightly modified) vanilla maps to the largest extend SoBH main towns are new but vanilla style.

SoBH uses travel areas on the outdoor maps, but this is to prevent leaving the island via the worldmap while the plot is running (i.e. is intent not a bug, and not really an issue - while in the plot you can travel between SoBH areas via worldmap but you cannot access outside area - SoBH plot is on the island of Lendore on the worldmap)

The Sandrah Saga

#8 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

The last couple of times I have tried Drizzt Saga in BGT, without Sandrah, I've run into the issue where if I save and reload the game after Drizzt joins my party, the game crashes on reload with an assertion error.  This was already a couple of months ago so might be fixed by now.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#9 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

The last couple of times I have tried Drizzt Saga in BGT, without Sandrah, I've run into the issue where if I save and reload the game after Drizzt joins my party, the game crashes on reload with an assertion error.  This was already a couple of months ago so might be fixed by now.

If I recall correctly, it was rather some animation issue with Drizzts unremovable swords from some other mod than a issue of Drizzt Saga itself and I think there is a fixpack solution for it now. (Similar issues may occur in all the mega mods if you combine them with a specific constellation of tweaks, animation changes and the like)

Edited by Roxanne, 22 December 2015 - 11:12 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#10 @vGur

@vGur
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

Had anyone played Dark Horisons, NeJ3, Tower of Deception? Feel free to comment.

Vote for mods You've played, help the community!

Edited by @vGur, 23 December 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#11 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:00 AM

Had anyone played Dark Horisons, NeJ3, Tower of Deception? Feel free to comment.

Vote for mods You've played, help the community!

Dark Horizons uses vanilla maps, plot is thin, some say items you can gain are overpowered, bug free, overall 3 (it is more a prolonged tactical encounter than a real mod)

ToD has original maps + cutscenes (+small movie) all of it fits well into the game = 5, contents gets 4, bug free =5 (there is an optionlal sequel that is a pretty hard tactical encounter, no vote for that from me)

NEJ3 is not publicly available (as far as I know)

Edited by Roxanne, 23 December 2015 - 03:01 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#12 @vGur

@vGur
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:20 AM

Roxanne, this topic was made for You!  :clap: 

There still some mods to be rated, more votes is appreciated

p/s content of Drtizzt Saga, SoBH part 2, TDD & Check the Bodies for now looks like need to be improved. Is anyone aware of tweaks\patches\rewriting attempts for them? If not, more details about weaknesses could be helpful.

#13 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

Roxanne, this topic was made for You!  :clap:

There still some mods to be rated, more votes is appreciated

p/s content of Drtizzt Saga, SoBH part 2, TDD & Check the Bodies for now looks like need to be improved. Is anyone aware of tweaks\patches\rewriting attempts for them? If not, more details about weaknesses could be helpful.

I do not fully agree to your conclusions

Drizzt Saga contents is fully ok, only it was created at a time before NPCs were as interactive with the player as they are now - so many players would not easily get rid of their companions just to play Drizzt. I have created a small tweak for that in my mod to allow to send the ones you rescue home safely and just have Drizzt alone for his mod (downside of that is that you need to install another megamod to get this feature.)

SoBH part 2 is fully okay and probably like the author wants it to be, it is playable and all - it is just a bit twisted to find your way through it without a walkthrough but you can.

TDD + CtB are actually a collection of mod episodes - my remark was just that some of them are better than others (my personal taste) but they are nearly all optional, so you can decide which ones to play or skip.

I do not really see an issue to rewrite any of them.

The Sandrah Saga

#14 @vGur

@vGur
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:11 AM

Very interesting, I really get it wrong. It's all about only personal taste, thanks for reply. Nevertheless, can You point some optional components that can be omitted to make overall mod better?

p.s. Have You tried Vecna with text overhaul mod?

Edited by @vGur, 23 December 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#15 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

Very interesting, I really get it wrong. It's all about only personal taste, thanks for reply. Nevertheless, can You point some optional components that can be omitted to make overall mod better?

p.s. Have You tried Vecna with text overhaul mod?

In TDD it is not optional components that you install but there a optional quests that come up in the game and you go there and do it or just pass it by.

Yes I tried Vecna but will not comment on it - just read the mod description and decide if it is something you want or not (this one is definitely depending on personal preferences).

The Sandrah Saga

#16 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

its incredibly cool how the only votes for "use it with sandrah mod" are from its creator

#17 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

Not many of us have played with Sandrah yet. I'm sure when I do, I will be thankful for the tweaks Roxanne has mentioned.

Unrelated - It would be nice to have a balancing component to weaken the items added by Dark Horizons.

Edited by agb1, 23 December 2015 - 05:40 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#18 @vGur

@vGur
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

Almateria, i'll be happy to update overall ratings when You vote! :Tasty:

agb1, did You and only You had fun playing Vecna? was it fully playable? This is all i ask.

Edited by @vGur, 23 December 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#19 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

i havent ever played any megamods, sorry

#20 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

I never played Vecna.