BWP random encounters

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vlvfree

vlvfree
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hi !

I have installed latest  BWP version, all is fine... But one thing ruins all gameplay - infinity random encounters, even on epxlored areas... Is the any way to stop it ?

#2 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

Well yeah, stop saving/loading your savegame ... yeah, this is kind of engine limitation meeting with code usage.

Or you can install a different random encounter mod.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3 vlvfree

vlvfree
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

I don`t load any savegame, but monsters keep appearing on the edge of visible area...

#4 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:40 AM

This is BGSpawn - and unfortunately, this cannot be disabled easily :( You might wanna try using your Bhaalspawn powers on (Ctrl+Y'ing) the offending creatures...

@agb1: If possible, can BGSpawn be moved into Tactical installations? it does raise the difficulty I guess

Edited by Lollorian, 25 December 2015 - 04:41 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#5 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Sure, although BGSpawn has install options to reduce frequency of spawns -- maybe there are globals that can be changed dynamically?

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#6 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

Unfortunately, it's an install-time thing :( There is no global on/off switch for these spawns

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#7 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

BGSpawn components:

@0=BGSpawn system based on levels & party members (NOTE: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - BGT required)
@1=Choose the time between re-spawns
@1?1_1=Re-spawn time = 8 hours (standard ad&d rules)
@1?1_2=Re-spawn time = 24 hours
@1?1_3=Re-spawn time = 10 days
@1?1_4=Re-spawn time = 50 days (eventually, no chance of re-spawned creatures)
@2=Vampiric Wolf Lord (inspired to DavidW Wolf of Ulcaster) NOTE: this changes some Vampiric Wolf in the game. It's used by BGSpawn-system

@3=BGSpawn random encounters between areas (NOTE: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - BGT required)

Currently, BWS has re-spawn time = 10 days and component 3 (random encounters between areas) selected by default for Stable and Tactical.

From the thread above it seems that BGSpawn is spawning creatures a lot more frequently than even the shortest time setting above (8 hours), so ... are we looking at a bug here?

Edited by agb1, 25 December 2015 - 07:40 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#8 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

BGSpawn components:

@0=BGSpawn system based on levels & party members (NOTE: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - BGT required)
@1=Choose the time between re-spawns
@1?1_1=Re-spawn time = 8 hours (standard ad&d rules)
@1?1_2=Re-spawn time = 24 hours
@1?1_3=Re-spawn time = 10 days
@1?1_4=Re-spawn time = 50 days (eventually, no chance of re-spawned creatures)
@2=Vampiric Wolf Lord (inspired to DavidW Wolf of Ulcaster) NOTE: this changes some Vampiric Wolf in the game. It's used by BGSpawn-system

@3=BGSpawn random encounters between areas (NOTE: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - BGT required)

Currently, BWS has re-spawn time = 10 days and component 3 (random encounters between areas) selected by default for Stable and Tactical.

From the thread above it seems that BGSpawn is spawning creatures a lot more frequently than even the shortest time setting above (8 hours), so ... are we looking at a bug here?

I had BGSpawn with the above default settings installed in my last 20+ game installations and never encountered anything similar - seems rather an issue of the individual installation than a bug of the mod (unless it is option4 which I never used).

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#9 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

deleted

Edited by agb1, 25 December 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#10 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

Might be this :unsure:

#11 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

Wouldn't that cause the opposite problem (no re-spawns at all because timer never fires)?

#12 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:09 AM

It depends on the structure of the spawning script, but if it uses globals that never get to be set in the first place, then the spawns will happen too much. My first assumption was that the script uses LOCALS, which are known to not be saved in saving and loading the game.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#13 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

It depends on the structure of the spawning script, but if it uses globals that never get to be set in the first place, then the spawns will happen too much. My first assumption was that the script uses LOCALS, which are known to not be saved in saving and loading the game.

BGSpawn sets Globals in the Area saves, so the issue may be related to the problem that Lollorian quoted http://www.shsforums...s/#entry584071, which was identified as a local problem, if I remember well.

Example

Spoiler

Since I never had the problem with timers set in area scripts, I never encountered any problem with BGSpawn at all.

Edited by Roxanne, 25 December 2015 - 08:34 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#14 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

@agb1: If possible, can BGSpawn be moved into Tactical installations? it does raise the difficulty I guess
Personal opinion (of course) : BGSpawn do not increase much the difficulty by itself. However, combined with SCS (just an example), it can be... REALLY fun :)

#15 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Personal opinion (of course) : BGSpawn do not increase much the difficulty by itself. However, combined with SCS (just an example), it can be... REALLY fun :)

BGSpawn itself is not a tactical mod. It just *re-fills* some areas that you pass reqularly on other quests, so that they are not so boring empty after you have done your initial visit.

The Sandrah Saga

#16 vlvfree

vlvfree
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

It seems this bug... or a feature :) was only on first maps, after a little advance this issue seem resolved some how.