Refinements HLAs, modularized and on BG2EE

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

Sorry, I missed this post 2 months ago. Does it mean that you would like Assassins and Bounty Hunters to get access to Use Scrolls? Should be easy enough to implement if so. (For the EE games at least.)

#42 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yes, absolutely. "Traditional" Refinements already enables Use Scrolls and Scribe Scrolls for TobEx users (even if it isn't apparent from the 2DA files, and checked in a... creative way in the TP2). See the changelog: 
 12 February 2011 - Version 3.30:

Integration with ToBEx: Barbarian -> Mage, Barbarian -> Thief, Wild Mage -> Thief compatibility, Bounty Hunters and Assassins can get Use Scrolls.

the HLA documentation:
//2.7.1: Assassin

Table:

-Set Spike Trap 
-Set Exploding Trap
-Set Time Trap
-Assassination
-Cripple#
-Nerve Poison*              (requires: Alchemy)
-Evasion#
-Greater Evasion            (requires: Evasion#)
-Avoid Death#               (requires: Evasion#) 
-Alchemy
-Brew Poison*               (requires: Alchemy)

Only if you installed ToBEx:
-Use Scrolls#  
-Scribe Scrolls#            (requires: Use Scrolls#)

<...>

//2.7.2: Bounty Hunter

Table:

-Set Spike Trap 
-Set Exploding Trap
-Set Time Trap
-Set Toxic Trap*
-Assassination
-Cripple#
-Evasion#
-Greater Evasion            (requires: Evasion#)
-Avoid Death#               (requires: Evasion#) 
-Alchemy
-Tracking*

Only if you installed ToBEx:
-Use Scrolls#  
-Scribe Scrolls#            (requires: Use Scrolls#)

and the TP2:
COPY ~refinements/Hlab/Thief/copy~	  	~override~
// ToBEx Assassin and Bounty Hunter
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~bgmain.exe~ THEN BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~luth2.2da~ ~override~
                ~luth3.2da~ ~override~
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 11 1 10 AP_TG#USSC
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 11 4 10 1
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 11 5 10 99
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 11 6 10 1
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 1 10 GA_LI#SCRT
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 4 10 1
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 5 10 99
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 6 10 1
    SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 7 10 AP_TG#USSC
END

Edited by the bigg, 17 October 2016 - 10:07 AM.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#43 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Got it. Cool, I'll add that when I get the chance. I need t find some time to look at SwashImoen as well, someone said it is buggy on BG2EE.

#44 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

subtledoctor,

I was reading the ReadMe (and good thing I did, but I urge you to change the header from the old 3.11 to 4 Beta 8 or so because I was thinking I was dealing with the old file) and noticed this addition:

"For the moment, the multiclass HLAs do not install..."

Tell me I am not interpreting right and you do not mean to say that there is no Refinements HLA for multiclasses?!

It'd not be a small detail for people like me that play with a multiclass character... :blink:

Edited by Salk, 15 November 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#45 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Youch, I haven't looked at this stuff in about half a year. I still need to give Use Scrolls to Assassins and Bounty Hunters. And clearly the readme needs a few updates!

Last I recall, multiclasses are working fine. Up through about rc4 I had not added code to add the multiclass HLAs. (When each class is optional, it gets complicated - if you install wizard HLAs but not thief HLAs, what to do about the mage/thief table?) However, I have since included code that handles these possibilities, so multiclasses should be working fine.

I'll put a bit of time into this, put out rc9 and fix the readme, when I can.

#46 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Okay, I'm going to really embrace the fact that this is still labeled "beta," and darn well treat it like a beta.

I have completely revamped the EE version of Use Scrolls. The new code is about 10x simpler than the old code, and that in turn was about 10x simpler than the old BGT code. The problem was, even with the fun new stuff in the EE engine, there were still problems with edge cases - cleric/thieves using divine scrolls, normal thieves using green scrolls, etc.

So I've done something fairly radical: identified all scrolls that were already usable by thieves, and changed their underlying "item type" to potions.

I don't think this will break anything; potions are used from item quickslots, they can have any kinds of targeting, and they can use any kind of projectile AFAIK. So a potion that looks and acts like a scroll, should still look and act like a scroll.

Then, I take the remaining scrolls, which are not usable by thieves, and make them usable by thieves. Then I apply an opcocde 181 effect in thieves' clab table, preventing them from using any scrolls. Since green scrolls are not considered "scrolls," they are exempt from this prohibition. Finally, when you take the "Use Magical Devices" HLA, it cancels the spell with that 181 effect, so your thief can now use any scroll in the game.

Yes - I said "Use Magical Devices." Because two nice benefits to this change are 1) it applies to divine scrolls as well as arcane scrolls, without interfering with their use by cleric/thieves; and 2) it also applies to wands. So a thief taking this HLA can now use any kind of wand as well as any scroll. A nice little boost, I think.

This is in v4 rc13

Cheers. Let me know if this horribly ruins anything. Can always revert and try a different technique.

EDIT - changed to using "miscellaneous" instead of potions in 4b13, so you don't get the option to "drink" green scrolls.

Edited by subtledoctor, 18 June 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#47 Higara

Higara
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

So I am working on trying to fix the Rune of Immunity spell as it has broken. What are the effects that are applied to cause the spell to work. Right now in the extended effects there are a lot of dispel magic effects and secret word effects with unknown opcodes.

#48 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

... with unknown opcodes.
Into what version of the game did you apply the mod into ? An old EE game perhaps(not 2.3.something), as that could be the problem, if you ahve an old game as the patches added opcodes... or do you just have an old moding tool perhaps ? Near Infinity circa 2012, not the current up to date one uploaded May 30th 2017...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#49 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

I noticed that the Rune of Immunity doesn't always work... but I can't figure out why. The spell seems to be in fine shape. I'll take a closer look when I can.

#50 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

subtledoctor,

I am planning to start a new BGT playthrough soon and I was wondering whether you had any substantial/meaningful feedback about v4 r13 on that platform?

I know the focus has switched to the EE but I don't feel very motivated to abandon the old ship.

Thanks!

#51 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

I think it's up to rc18 at this point. Make sure you grab the latest release from the Github page, or just use BWS.

Everything I've done has been with the intent of preserving non-EE function. Ideally, there would be little to no difference between using this and using v3.31. The two benefits of this over 3.31 are 1) you can choose which classes you want to install HLAs for; and 2) the method of editing HLA tables is more compatible with other mods that do the same, so for instance this can and should be installed after RR HLAs.

The down-side of using this over 3.31, which I will be frank about, is that this version has seen less testing and feedback, so I can't be 100% certain that I achieved my goal of preserving the non-EE functions. For instance, there's an outstanding bug where the Necromancer doesn't get one of its HLAs, which I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

That's the only such bug I'm aware of... but like I say, I haven't gotten a ton of feedback. Hopefully that means the mod is in good shape! ;)

Edited by subtledoctor, 17 November 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#52 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:06 AM

Well, I will take a leap of faith and play with this version even if I am running BGT.

Hopefully there won't be any unpleasant surprises and things will run smoothly when (and if) I ever get a chance to see the fabled HLAs abilities... ;)

Even if you are now fully committed to EE I do hope you can still investigate that one bug about the necromancer not getting one of its HLAs... Poor necromancers are already despised the way it is! :D

#53 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

@salk - yeah I got that report, just RL is exploding and I haven't had time to address it. If it's just a matter of the HLA table not containing the spell, it should be a very easy fix, and I should also be able to make a very simple hotfix. So go ahead and start your game, the HLA table should be ready and fixed by the time you get there.

#54 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Okay, @Salk and others, I'm attaching a little hotfix mod that adds the "Create Boneguard" HLA to necromancers.  It (perhaps obviously) should only be used in conjunction with Refinements HLAs.  Install order should not matter but for safest application I would install it after Refinements v4.

This is for users of refinements v4, rc 18 or lower.  It won't be necessary with v4.19 and higher.

Cheers

Attached Files

#55 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:40 AM

Okay, thanks for the hotfix!

#56 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Also v4.19 is up, which fixes that, plus a few other issues (Mirrored Clones and Rune of immunity cast by sub-20th level casters).

#57 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

I've updated the v4 beta to release candidate 20. Apparently the 4.19 version of Use Magical Device was causing a problem with selling and buying wands to recharge them.

The new UMD system abandons the wand/scroll item type mixing, and instead uses SPECIFIC.IDS and opcode 319 to implement the usability restrictions. It's a bit experimental because SPECIFIC.IDS is not particularly designed for this; but I haven't seen any bad interactions and as of now I can't even envision any. I've seen at least one other mod doing something similar, and it seems fine. And this is a FAR more bulletproof solution than futzing about with item types and opcode 181.

So, kick the tires and let me know how it plays. If you see any AI thieves acting weird, let me know.

#58 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:53 AM

Please change the link at the first page to: https://github.com/U...releases/latest
Changed the link in the first post because I can.
But subtledoctor should be able to do it as the OP?

#59 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:16 PM

Updated to version 4.26 to improve installation on Project Infinity.

#60 -Arthas-

-Arthas-

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:13 AM

Hello, thanks for the new release.
With refinements, do you get Use any item if you also install Rogue rebalancing ?

Edited by Arthas, 01 May 2020 - 02:14 AM.