• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

SWORD ANGEL:
A pure-hearted fighter, capable to transcend his own training thanks to an unequaled spiritual strenght. It is fabled that two warriors of such virtue never lived in the same historical time! Although not servants of any deity, these noble combatants reunite the spirit of self sacrifice of a paladin, the martial focus of a kensai, and the mystical pulsion of a monk. Their training is aimed to develop discipline and body-control, so their blows rarely strike deep or furious, and never viciously: Sword Angels don't learn treacherous moves to kill, or to penetrate armors. They fight with honour and clear souls, and avoid violence when they can.

Advantages:
- +1 to hit and AC for every 6 levels
- +1 bonus to speed factor for every 4 levels
- Lay on Hands ability 1/day
- Immunity to fear and morale failure
- "Spiritual Harmony" 1/day for every 4 levels
- "Merciful Fighting" activable at will

Disadvantages:
- Requires 13 WIS (primary), 10 INT and 13 DEX
- May only be Human or Half-Elf
- May only be Neutral Good
- May not use armor, shields, helmets, excessively STR-enhancing equipment
- May not use missile, poisoned or other vile weapons
- May surpass "proficient" level only in one-handed blades or staves
- May not place stars in Dualwielding Style
- May dual only to mage, with the same restrictions as an illusionist (but no additional spells).
- Suffers a -3 penalty to damage with all weapons

Spiritual Harmony (5+2 rounds):
When body and spirit become truly as one, both benefit from the intense union; reactions are improved, while the mind finds stability in its inseparable shelter. This state grants -3 to AC, +2 to Thac0, increased movement rate, immunity to spells like Domination or Confusion, and +2 to saves vs Death, Breath and Polymorph. Such a perfect integration is consuming for a mortal being, so a state of great stress shortly follows (penalties to Thac0, AC, movement; spellcasting is disabled for dualclassed characters).

Merciful Fighting:
Attempts to fight with limited harmful effects result in a penalty to damage (-6), but every blow which leaves an opponent with less than 20 HPs has a chance to make him unconscious for 5 rounds (save vs Death at -2). This possibly removes the immediate need to kill, yet some creatures may be immune to the effect.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:28 PM

The kits HLA table (part of the HLA revision):

The table includes the following special abilities (a "*" follows the new ones):

-Power Attack
-Critical Strike
-Smite
-Improved Merciful Fighting*
-Heroism*
-Banish* (requires: Sustaining Will*)
-Spiritual Integrity* (requires: Sustaining Will*)
-Body Purge* (requires: Sustaining Will*)
-Regeneration* (requires: Sustaining Will*)
-Sustaining Will*

Descriptions of the new HLAs
------------------------------

Improved Merciful Fighting
Using this ability a Sword Angel focuses on disabling attacks, raising the odds of avoiding unwanted bloodsheds while fighting.
Damage is reduced by 6 points per blow, but any creature hit in melee (when appliable) falls unconscious for 5 rounds unless a save vs Death at -2 is made. If a creature is left with less than 20 HPs after being hit, then they fall unconscious with no save.
This ability lasts one round.

Heroism
This ability improves the caster's valour in battle, inspiring also an unshakable courage on his party members, who will naturally perceive him as a real hero and a leader to follow without hesitation.
The caster's attack rate is doubled for 2 rounds, and his base HPs are increased by 20% for 5 rounds. Meanwhile party members are rallied (and protected) from any fear or morale effect.
"Heroism" can't be used more than once per turn.

Banish
Founding his path on the sacrality of life, a Sword Angel has pity for the undead and the beings they once were, and a strong aversion for demonic creatures who come from other planes of existance to spread suffering.
Using this ability he emits a powerful outburst out of his life force, a cry to set things in place again; undead close to the caster are sent to eternal rest, while nearby demons are "killed" and vanquished from the plane. Said creatures are entitled a save vs death (at -2 for undead), but the ones who resist are still repulsed far away from the caster. This tremendous use of willpower is extremely consuming and depletes the caster's life force almost entirely!
"Banishment" can only be picked once.

Spiritual Integrity
For 5 rounds the Sword Angel manages to sustain not only perfect harmony within himself, but even partial integration and empathic connection with the environment itself and the nearby beings.
All the bonuses granted by Spiritual Harmony are gained, while fatigue effects do not occur. In addition all resistances are raised by 25%, and the caster's life force becomes impossible to drain.
Since beings are directly perceived rather than sensed, for the entire duration of the ability the caster can't be fooled by illusions, and becomes aware of the alignment of any nearby creature.
There are other consequences though: if he hurts any living creature in melee while in this state, he'll share part of the suffering inflicted!

Requires: Sustaining Will

Body Purge
A Sword Angels is somehow in touch with the natural powers that tie together all the life forms, and may improve his thaumaturgic abilities.
Body Purge allows the cleansing of ill effects from the body of a touched person: poison, deafness, blindness and diseases are removed; in addition, 3d8 HPs are instantly healed.

Regeneration
A Sword Angel can train his body to improve the natural healing process, till it reaches an almost visible effect.
The natural regeneration rate is permanently increased by 2 HP/round, and this bonus is cumulative with every other regeneration effect on the character.
This ability can be picked only once.

Sustaining Will
As a natural result of an instinctive, innate and introspective research, a Sword Angel may reach a higher level of awareness about himself, his body, and his role in the greater scheme of things: acceptance of his own sufferings and the uncertain outcomes of human actions, strenghten his determination to push himself always forward, whatever the circumstances.
Choosing this ability grants to the character a permanent increase in Wisdom (+1 bonus) and in saves vs Spells (+2 bonus). Furthermore, disciplines that require exceptional inner serenity and strenght of will become accessible.

EDITED BY LITTIZ <_<
Posted Image

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:29 PM

"Fallen" status
-----------------

If the Sword Angel deviates from his path, he reaches somehow a "fallen" status.
This is not quite a "punishment" and it doesn't work as it does for Paladins or Rangers, since... But wait, a step back is on order.
This is the right place to explain and clarify a few things about this character.
Some may wonder why we didn't make a Paladin kit or something. The answer isthis character is NOT a follower of a deity, and most importantly, NOT a servant of Law!!

The concept is that of a hero guided only by a pure heart. No Laws or codes are allowed to narrow such a path. Keldorn for instance, is concerned in the preserving of just *innocent* lives. This kit tries to portray a truly unique character, who doesn't really care about such distinctions: life is a sacred value, the fighting training and all the abilities of the Sword Angel reflect this. Spiritual Integrity is enough of an example: creating an empathic bond with the nearby living creatures, the Sword Angel actually is in the condition to share the
pain he inflicts on others. There's no possible distinction between different kinds of creatures... as long as they're alive and they are able to suffer. This all also explains the reason of the aligment restrictions.
Neutral Good is the only possible alignment, since the only dominating aspect is that a Sword Angel must good and noble at heart.

At the moment we're not handling many events which can trigger the falling (we may add some in the future..).
But know that, in theory, even becoming Lawful Good would cause it!!
The consequence is that the Sword Angel becomes just a regular Kensai, somehow its "base class". There's no possible returning to the Sword Angel status, since the point is whether you may be that unique, absolutely pure character, or not.
As a Kensai it's possible to develop normally and gain abilities, but the fallen character is initially at a disadvantage since he lacks the starting abilities of a Kensai; the training has been different after all.
Posted Image

#4 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:04 PM

Hey TGM are you in a hurry?? :o :lol:

I told you I changed a couple of descriptions (which need proofreading again, and I thought the issues were still under debate...)

Among the rest, banish too now requires Sustaining Will.
Anyway, since you have posted them, I applied the changes to the post now...

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:37 PM

And thats the ideal way of things - we post them, we change them ;) :D .
Thats what the "EDIT" button is for :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#6 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 02:21 PM

is this a fighter kit or a ranger kit?
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#7 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 02:35 PM

is this a fighter kit or a ranger kit?

It is a fighter kit.
Posted Image

#8 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:21 PM

:o :blink: :o :blink: :o :blink: :o :blink: :o

OMFG!!!!!!! Sword Angel :wub:

Does this mean that there will be additional Kits included with this mod? I would like to submit my StormSinger Bard Kit if at all possible.
Improved Beastmaster ---------- [Complete!]
Mime Bardic Kit ------------------- [Complete!]
Rebalanced Use Any Item HLA -- [Complete!]
Improved Wizard Slayer --------- [Complete!]
Stormsinger Ultimate Elemental Bardic Kit [75%]

Find out what else is in store at Acumen's Assortment

#9 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 11:04 PM

an interesting approach to gameplaying i've seen in the attic...

minimal killing!!!

someone has apparently tried to play thru the game with as little bloodshed as possible...

this kit sounds perfect for people who are interested in a new challenge... :) :) :)
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 01:03 AM

Does this mean that there will be additional Kits included with this mod? I would like to submit my StormSinger Bard Kit if at all possible.

Of course you can, I'm open to any fresh ideas. PM me and we'll discuss this further.

OMFG!!!!!!! Sword Angel

this kit sounds perfect for people who are interested in a new challenge...

Believe me when I say: it works even better than it looks ;) :D !

PS: and yes, there will be more kits. Take a look at the TODO thread!
Posted Image

#11 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 03:12 AM

This seems like a strange type of fighter for the child of the god of murder to be... especially seeing as a lot of the game does infact involve you killing things. It will be very difficult to play through the game using this kit.

This is a great kit though, origional in the fact that the HLAs balance out the negatives, rather then the kit abilities themselves. This kit is obviously designed for ToB (and yes I realise that this is a ToB mod.)

Just a couple of questions, is the regeneration thing permanent? (im assuming it is)
Also, that merciful fighting isnt exactly fitting with the kit. They try to disable enemies rather then kill them - sure thats fine. But knocking an enemy unconcious simply makes it 10x easier for some other party member to kill and killing a helpless person isnt honorable, so i guess my question is, will there be some sort of penalty for killing an unconcious person?
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#12 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 04:20 AM

is the regeneration thing permanent?

It is, and will be cumulative with any other regeneration effects on the Sword Angel. According to their new table, monks have a similar feature, though more powerful.

Also, that merciful fighting isnt exactly fitting with the kit. They try to disable enemies rather then kill them - sure thats fine. But knocking an enemy unconcious simply makes it 10x easier for some other party member to kill and killing a helpless person isnt honorable, so i guess my question is, will there be some sort of penalty for killing an unconcious person?

Yes, a very good question, one that I've been toying with a couple of times. I've been discussing this ability with Littiz for a while (the main creator of the kit), and asked him the same questions. Any ideas concerning this point are more than welcome, this ability is still open for suggestions.
A thing to note is that the Sword Angel hold no responsibility for the actions of other party members, that is up to the player to decide ;) .
Posted Image

#13 Gherald

Gherald
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:23 AM

Spiritual Integrity

There are other consequences though: if he hurts any living creature in melee while in this state, he'll share part of the suffering inflicted!

Sounds cool, but how much is "part of" ?

#14 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 03:30 PM

It is 1D4 +1, if I'm correct.
Posted Image

#15 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 03:57 PM

1,15 in Italy, but I have to reply something here :D

This seems like a strange type of fighter for the child of the god of murder to be... especially seeing as a lot of the game does infact involve you killing things. It will be very difficult to play through the game using this kit.

Indeed. The contrast makes it interesting and precious imho :)
Difficult... yes. I've played before *forcing* this tipe of play and it was a blast. There will be many things to address throughout the game, but first, I needed a complete character!
You're right that it gains more in ToB, but it's part of the spirit: the character is able to gain some powers *because* of the spirit of sacrifice and renounce he has to carry for half of the game, or more. And even then, some of the abilities aren't without cost.

Anyway, it's good at defense, very good! Notice that unlike Kensais, S.A. may use bracers! ;)
They don't hinder movements or visual, after all.

Also, that merciful fighting isnt exactly fitting with the kit.

Why not? What can you do when someone tries to kill you, but you don't want to kill him?
Notice also that this character (unless dualled to mage) is highly non-magical. Powers all come from willpower, nothing more (well, maybe also from some sort of a connection with the "pervasive and distribuited" powers of the universe, if such a thing can be defined...).

will there be some sort of penalty for killing an unconcious person?

I don't know if it's possible. It should end in the "fallen status" immediately, for such an action (but as TGM points, only if S.A. does that himself).
Anyway, since I've asked for support from the Virtue Mod, I hope something can be done on that side, after all it should affect Virtue of ANY character...
But it would be very difficult. I figure an "inconscious" enemy should be temporarily flagged as "innocent", probably an impossible thing to do...
Will point Sim to this thread anyway
(...tomorrow... yahwn!!!)
As Caedwyr argues, a thing that should be implemented is a chance for "spared" enemies to turn neutral. Technically it is possible. But of course it's a lot of work to handle bug-prone situations, so it will be studied later, after the first release.
Last thing to add: it's a good ability to use against charmed party members. :)

Sounds cool, but how much is "part of"?

Oh, see, I prefer verbose descriptions to the technical ones :)
Not really a fraction of the damage, S.A. isn't subject to the physical damage after all. I don't know if such a thing would be possible to implement, but it wasn't desired either.
What happens in-game is that SA suffers an "Empathic Backlash" (with animation :P), and a few random points of damage for that (up to 4): it is meant to be "mental damage".
Actually I'm really proud of Spiritual Integrity. It looks very good and has been one of the hardest spells to code (after Use Scrolls...) due to the difficulties of the targeting of all the different effects.
The Backlash itself has been almost a miracle, in game only the reverse existed (back-effects upon *being* hit), and to build a mechanism capable to apply that effect AND exclude Undead I had to use a chain of spells *4* layers deep :o :rolleyes:
Really satisfying, when it finally worked...

#16 -Grey Acumen-

-Grey Acumen-

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:35 PM

I didn't feel like logging in for this.

Why can't the Sword Angel be a cleric? I understand that there's that whole thing with the swords, and without armor it probably wouldn't be terribly effective, but I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

And what about adding the ability to disarm the opponent(HLA or just % chance on melee attacks?) :ph34r:

#17 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 12:46 AM

And what about adding the ability to disarm the opponent(HLA or just % chance on melee attacks?)

That is a VERY cheesy ability when used against computer opponents IMO. While you can pick up your dropped items again and again, the computer won't. If you disarm Yaga-Shura for example, he will just run around and try to whack you with his +0 fists and won't even try to reclaim his lost weapon.
This one should only be used against players.
Posted Image

#18 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:53 AM

@Grey Acumen: it is really a design choice, "dear to me", I should say.
This character is meant to be a "lone wolf", sort of.
Only acts following what he feels is right, not following "teachings" from above, or one-way beliefs.
I mean, you can show mercy 'cause your whole life you have been taught that it's "right", or simply because intimately you feel like to.
SA is the second :)
Anyway, more details on the background will be found in the readme, if someone feels like reading it :D

I posted a pinned topic about support from Sim's Virtue mod, this is a **GREAT** improvement to the kit. :rolleyes: B) :)

Sooner or later I will do something about "unconscious" opponents. I think I have an idea, but it'd trigger the falling even when another party member hits the enemy and this might become really annoying (even though this is the logic of the game with reputation and everything related to it... opinions welcomed!!!!)

#19 Grey Acumen

Grey Acumen

Hunter of the Doomed

• 2047 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:24 AM

Ah, you know, this is exactly what I felt true goodness was, a clear self defined set of morales that supercede all the petty politicians pencil-pushing laws(Lawful good), but gives a more well defined views and is less easily manipulated than those who simply do what they feel is good. (chaotic good)

I can't think of any kit I'd rather play, though from what I'm getting from the description, he doesn't seem able to use a 2handed sword, is this true?
Improved Beastmaster ---------- [Complete!]
Mime Bardic Kit ------------------- [Complete!]
Rebalanced Use Any Item HLA -- [Complete!]
Improved Wizard Slayer --------- [Complete!]
Stormsinger Ultimate Elemental Bardic Kit [75%]

Find out what else is in store at Acumen's Assortment

#20 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:36 PM

I've already offered this idea to Littiz and T.G. Maestro in PM, but it might as well be offered out to the public for criticism:

About the sword angel kit and the non-killing intent: First of all, would it be possible to create a standard ability for the PC (or maybe the group leader) that would turn an enemy mob with under certain conditions neutral? If this is possible, then you could use the conditions of:

a) the enemy mob is unconscious
has no spell protections (non-permanant) on it
c) has 1-3 hit points remaing

If these conditions are met, and the NPC's death is not plot crucial then the ability would work and the group would recieve the experience for killing the opponent and the creature would drop all droppable equipment and money. (Ie: overpowering and disabling the creature.) The creature would then be made unkillable and remain unconscious until the players left the area, whereupon it will be despawned.

This would increase the degree of realism and allow for the player to spare the lives of the adversaries. It would also make the non-lethal methods of the Bounty Hunter and the Sword Angel a viable route of play.

Eventually if someone is feeling really ambitious they could write up dialogues with the defeated creatures, and maybe even some of the more significant enemies whose deaths are currently required.

@Grey Acumen: Since the non-killing nature of the sword angel is the theme of the kit, one hand should always be available to use for non-lethal methods of subduing the opponent (so you can quickly switch to fist attacks and punch the enemy unconscious.) The only 2 handed weapon that is an exception to this is the quarter staff, since it is much more simple to use non-lethal attacks with a quarter staff than a bladed weapon.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit